Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:45 PM

171 posts, read 142,004 times

Advertisements

Today I got a nail biopsy because 2 months ago I developed a very thin brown line on my left thumb. I was told by the dermatologist that is called longitudinal melanonychia and is usually benign and normal in people of color. I'm brown skin. Many black people have these lines, but it some cases, it can be melanoma. I didn't reveal this before here, because I didn't want to make myself more anxious before the procedure.

Ever since I noticed this line and googled, I've been afraid, anxious ever since. I finally got the biopsy done and now I have to wait for the results. Doctor says he didn't see anything bad while doing the biopsy and is probably benign. We will see. I feel a bit relief now, knowing I will finally find out what it really is. I've been waiting for this biopsy for 2 weeks as he is one of the best dermatologist with experience in nails. I'm ready for anything, including amputation if necessary.

It didn't help the fact that these past 2 weeks, I started getting heart burn, supposedly acid reflux, tenderness below my left rib cage. It only fueled my fear even more. I had the symptoms of acid reflux, but I couldn't help but think what if I have cancer, what if it has spread, but my lymph nodes have never been inflamed, then I think, I'm just driving myself crazy, this nail line is probably normal and I worried for nothing

I've always been an anxious person and you can see why I feel so anxious, like something catastrophic will happen, something I won't be able to recover from. I try to relax, focus on other stuff, it helps for a while, but I always return to my negative thoughts of what if. What if all of this is bad stuff. What if I'm thinking is nothing, but actually something bad is happening and it could be prevented, if I hadn't taken it lightly.

I will not have peace of mind until I know for a fact that this is nothing bad and that whatever symptoms I have from supposedly, is just that gerd or ulcers. I won't be at peace until I feel that Im normal again and that I don't have something serious.

I hate feeling this way and all this stress and anxiety, probably makes me feel worse. For example, this tender sensation below my left rib cage, is very subtle, is not pain, but pressure, thats where the stomach is, but also the spleen and other organs? and I can believe is just the gerd or I have an ulcer, but then I think what if something more serious like cancer?

I'm not having other symptoms, I'm on my second pill of omeprazole and it seems to be helping, I not longer have heart burn, and my nose is not congested as 2 days ago, but if this tender sensation worsens, i cant help but worry and just go to the emergency room as scheduling a doctor appointment in holidays even would take forever

Hopefully omeprazole helps with this, but well see

My point is I'm just normal guy who is afraid and I only started posting here for consolation, someone to give me hug so to speak, tell me things will be alright, as seeing a therapist is expensive and viable right now. My main focus is to know what I have in my body and I'm willing to do whatever it takes now, even if it means getting in massive debt.

Last edited by NasalPolyps; 12-21-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 05:46 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I have health anxiety. My symptoms seem to come in cycles... I'll have shortness of breath for a while, then heart palpitations, then digestive upset/acid reflux, then weird things like a patch of hypersensitive skin or a lump in my throat or eye twitches. Then nothing for a while. I've had my heart checked and I'm healthy, but I get into a cycle of worrying and obsessing over things I feel that most people aren't aware of.

Therapy might help. Regular exercise, if you're not already doing it, should be added to your day. Also, stay busy - I find that the more active I am, the less time I have to focus on my body doing its thing. Spend some time outdoors each day. Make sure you're sleeping, even if means that you take a sleep aid temporarily. Health anxiety is hard to deal with so I feel for you that you have to deal with it.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:01 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
the thing is not all in my head, i do feel symptoms that I didn't feel like 1 year ago for example
Have you been to a doctor to ask about these new symptoms?

Old 12-21-2018, 06:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Please go see a therapist. There are many that are on a sliding scale on your ability to pay. I don't know why you keep making these threads over and over again. We cannot help you. PLEASE seek psychological help.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Please go see a therapist. There are many that are on a sliding scale on your ability to pay. I don't know why you keep making these threads over and over again. We cannot help you. PLEASE seek psychological help.

I have spent lots of money lately and I have an emergency bill of $2000. One session with a therapist would probably be at least $100. Yes, I want to see one, but after all is said and done, I'll probably end up broke. I have savings and a job. I do want to get help, but finding out what is going with my body right now is more important than seeing a therapist, which results can take several sessions.

Either way, I will have to go to the doctor or the emergency room again if I feel anything serious happening. My pitfall with going to primary doctor is that I have a feeling, he won't do any real test that can see inside my body, it can take days to see a doctor, be referred for test, more days, more waiting, whereas, in the emergency room, where they already have all equipment available, they will likely do tests right there, but then is more expensive.

Either way, im going to end up with savings reduced by a lot.

I'm feeling a bit better now, but I still have this tender sensation under my left rib cage. It comes and goes.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:47 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
You sound just like my sister, she googles every little thing then gets even more stressed out. Deal with one thing at a time, and stop thinking the worst all the time. How spiritual are you? And if you are, where does your faith comes in. Sounds like you do need help, you can't put a price on your well being.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You sound just like my sister, she googles every little thing then gets even more stressed out. Deal with one thing at a time, and stop thinking the worst all the time. How spiritual are you? And if you are, where does your faith comes in. Sounds like you do need help, you can't put a price on your well being.

Im no spiritual, but I've always been an anxious person. I'm not opposed to seeing a therapist, as I recently started seeing a social anxiety therapy group from meetup which is free, we only had one meeting cause he needs more people, and of course, is free, the guy isn't a therapist but someone who had social anxiety, so no is not that im afraid of seeing a real therapist or don't want to get help

Money has always prevented me from seeing a therapist and the fact they rarely if never work weekends. How convenient that doctors, therapist, and any office only work the days and hours when most people are working. That's why, is expensive, inconvenient and it doesn't produce results quickly. That doesn't mean I don't want the help.

But you're right, I will have to spend the money if I want to get better, what other choice do i have, it just sucks that now i wont be able to save money as i wanted to

starting the new year with more debts and expenses

Old 12-21-2018, 07:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
One of my kids has a dark stripe like that on her nail. The stripe has gotten wider over the years but it's benign. She also has anxiety and it can cause stomach pain, which sounds like what you're describing. I think you're going to be okay. I'm also not sure a therapist would be what you need right at the moment. Usually if you're really super anxious about something, it can help to have meds prescribed to calm you down, so you're better able to work with the therapist. Your primary care doctor may be able to prescribe something for anxiety.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my kids has a dark stripe like that on her nail. The stripe has gotten wider over the years but it's benign. She also has anxiety and it can cause stomach pain, which sounds like what you're describing. I think you're going to be okay. I'm also not sure a therapist would be what you need right at the moment. Usually if you're really super anxious about something, it can help to have meds prescribed to calm you down, so you're better able to work with the therapist. Your primary care doctor may be able to prescribe something for anxiety.

How do you know what she has is benign? how old is she?

I do have something for anxiety which I have used every now and then, it helps is called hydrozyxine hcl. Its a sedative. I was always an anxious kid but about social situations, never had health anxiety like this before and it all begun with my fear over this nail stripe being something bad. Hopefully, is not.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
My point is I'm just normal guy...
No, you are not. You are suffering from an anxiety disorder. You need to seek treatment for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health