Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,211,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
What would be a good way to bring up the topic, jessiegirl? We don't want to come out accusing her so we want to bring it up in as gentle way as possible. No doubt she will deny everything. When do doctors become aware that their patient might be becoming addicted to painkillers? My brother was actually thinking of making an anonymous phone call or letter to let them know what is going on but I don't think that would be such a good idea. it could open up a whole new can of worms and start some major drama within the family. But I don't know, he's very stubborn and usually does what he wants.
Basically, a letter to the doctor will likely do nothing. Even if the doctor does stop prescribing them, she'll just find another one. Also, I've worked with many doctors who KNOW the clients are addicted to other drugs and will STILL prescribe painkillers....how stupid can you be I would just (in person if possible) just have a conversation saying that you are a bit worried because she is taking ____ drugs and have seen it impact her in ____ way. She probably will get defensive, but just make it clear that you are there for her and have resources for her (get the name of tx programs). The likely result is that she will be pissed, but you've at least put the idea in her head that you are there to support her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
Post friend inneed of help

ok so I fromtexas and have lived the past yr in cali and I am now back in texas but one of my friends in texas has become addicted to painkillers she even went as far as calling me about 10 mins ago and aasking me if I had any or could get some and it 10 till 4 am right now well any ways I knew she had changed when Iwas gone but didnt know it was like this she use to be a huge example for me and now she has completely turned it around and I just dont know what to do and I think some of it is the guy she is with right now and some is her do u guy have any advise on what I should do

Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,620,731 times
I don't understand how people get addicted to these things.

I had scrotal surgery Tuesday and was prescribed Vicodin for pain. I didn't want to take them and tried to tough it out. I made it to this morning (about 40 hours post-op) but I was hurting so bad I started taking them.

They made the surgical pain go away but damn I feel AWFUL otherwise...nauseated, lightheaded, feel just all around lousy. I just traded one bad situation for another.

I can't imagine taking them for fun!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,543,608 times
Abusing scripted meds is a big thing nowadays, most of the time it's just a waste of time to confront someone about it since all you will get is lies and garbage coming out of them.

The patterns will develop and it will be noticeable, going from doc to doc for scripts, asking others for pills, secretive phone calls, buying them off the street, becoming more agitated with others, withdrawn from others, always short on money (spending it all on pills) , falling behind on bills, later becoming more addicted and turn to theft to support the habit.

Looking groggy all the time, sleeping or shall I say passing out often, slurred speech, inability to carry on a normal conversation, basically you watch that person run there life into hell and all the talk in the world will do nothing but drive them further from you, do not support the individual in any shape or form what so ever, in doing so all you will be doing is feeding there addiction, you must let them hit very rock bottom and they must realize that they have hit bottom, for some there is no return it’s either death or prison.

It’s a very hard pill to swallow watching this happen to someone and not being able to stop it but they are the only ones able to get there life back on track, some make it some don’t.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 19,793 times
Addiction and chemical dependency are TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Addicts abuse the prescription taking it whenever they please and NOT for true pain. They crave it all the time and have ZERO control over their actions

Other persons, non addicts, who ALWAYS were honest and took it only in pain and the way the Dr. prescribed but were on it for a LONG time WILL have a chemical dependency but controlled and WILL get withdrawls if abruptly stopped. THIS IS NORMAL

They NEED to be weaned . This is NORMAL.

Addicts are different.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,074 times
Default i can relate

i apologize in advance , i did not read all the replies . first off i am speaking as an addict . i take between 15 and 30 10 mg vicodin daily , interspersed with 40 mg oxycontin and 10 mg percosets . judging from your initial posts your relative is exhibiting "drug seeking behavior" . asking family members for painkillers and seeking a "free-ride" doctor (a dr. who for whatever reason has no ethics and will prescribe anything to anyone just for the asking) . it sounds like he/she is still relatively early into the addiction (once again im speaking from my experience not any professional standing) . if she continues down that path she will stop asking and start stealing , it wont matter that the owner of said medication needs it , the addiction overrides all sense of morality , guilt , shame , etc. as someone who loves her you and your family need to confront her on this asap . it wont be fun and it wont be easy but once she knows she isnt fooling anyone she will be a little bit closer to facing the reality of her situation . she is very fortunate to have ppl who care enough to help . keep in mind that her behavior is caused by the drug , by the addiction , not by her choosing . noone wants to be a junky as they say , but it happens all too often . one last time , i am speaking as an addict im not a professional , ive never been in any programs or rehab . i just know how i wish it could have been in my situation .

Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
My name is Stevie and I can relate. I once was this family member you are speaking about. If you feel uncomfortable asking her the question, "Are you an addict?" Then don't. Call her once and a while and observe her speech patterns and stress level. My parents could always tell on the phone when I was using. I went to treatment in AZ at a place called Sierra Tucson. It was a miracle for me. I was taking so many prescriptions for chronic pelvic pain due to nerve damage that they didn't think 45 days would be long enough for me to get clean. It was and I go to an NA meeting in the Boulder area almost every day. Admitting you are an addict is hard to do and it has to be done alone. Now there were so many people in Tucson that were there by way of intervention and thank God for their family members and friends that took action. I went on my own accord and it worked miracles too. Maybe suggest to her NA, just have her check it out. To be in the room with other addicts and hear their stories, struggles, strengths, and hopes is truly amazing. She will find somebody who she relates to very quickly I assure you. There is also a web site and call center. The colorado site is [url=http://www.nacolorado.org]COLORADO REGION OF NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS[/url] and the call center for Denver area is 303-832-3784. You're welcome to contact me by email at [email]stephaniestone82@gmail.com[/email] or on facebook. I would also like to give you my number and please call it anyone who reads this and is suffering from addiction or a friend is, maybe you are trying to stay clean and are having some triggers or thoughts of using I would be more than happy to be of service. Phone 719-340-2444 or email me please. And I hope that you can find a solution to your problem. For all those addicts out there stay clean and live just for today.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:01 AM

22 posts, read 61,898 times
Okay , I've had a addiction thats acually why im on here cause i want people to overcome there addiction.. Dont Accuse thast just going to tick her off .. If you ask her how she feels when she takes them shes going to say amazing dont feel thrown off by that or anything cause thats whats going to make her stop talking !! Sit down and talk to her invite he over for something she loves so you know shes going to come .. you cannot help a addict till they want to help themselfs and there not gonig to do that untill they hit rock bottem ! But one way or another if something goes wrong if she starts stealing them etc. thats when thats her rock bottem ! Pills are a big issue now days i know people from the age 14-43 that are addicted ADDICTION IS NOT A GOOD THING AT ALL ! i mean if shes one of them people that wants a pair of shoes and dont stop bugging till she gets them shes one of them girls that will not stop nagging untill she gets what she wants one day someones going to run out of money and she will too and thats her breaking point she will do anything to get her fix ! But idk ask me questions if you need to this is what im here for =D
Hope this helps you have a wonderful day & God bless !

Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times
Everyone says that a person with an addiction has to hit rock bottom before they want help. I know someone who, due to an addiction, has lost his job, his girlfriend, his close friends b/c they don't want to associate with a druggie, is almost out of money, has been arrested for it, and is depressed. It actually all started with depression when started abusing Xanex that his doctor had prescribed him. I would have thought the above is definitely considered "rock bottom" but he is still in denial that he's addicted...he blames it all on depression and claims that if he weren't depressed then he wouldn't ever crave pain killers. Is there any hope?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:10 PM

18,126 posts, read 15,515,021 times
I have been taking Norco for about four years now. I have Osteomyelitis in an old ( quite traumatic) injury, and I have two choices, amputation or take the meds to help handle the pain. Even with them , it still hurts.My job is very physical, and I gritted my teeth through the pain for 22 years before I had a series of very expensive tests done to get the diagnisis as to why it was getting worse. My leg breaks open, and it feels like it's wrapped in concertina wire. Yea, I'm dependent on the pills.They DO help, and if I had to just stop taking them, it would sucketh. The pain comes crashing back in when I don't take them (which I do now and again just to prove to myself that I can), and I do have withdrawl as well. Not debilitating, but it is there. Night time is especially bad, after crawling on my belly like a rat all day or jumping in and out of ditches etc. I'm not quite ready to lose my leg after all this time. I'll take the pills. But, some people do use them to get high. They are basically opium and tylenol. I have heard of people crushing and snorting them, and have heard of people paying 10 bucks a pill on the street for them. If someone has a legitimate need for the medication ( operative word there) thats fine, a doctor will (or should) know if a persons pain is real. Many people who do need the stuff get treated as 'drug seekers' and many who do not are given all they want. It's kinda sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health