Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:00 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Change the way you think about your job. If it doesn't inspire you or provide any satisfaction, shift its importance in your mind. Let it become a means to an end: generating money to pay the bills. That's the upside. Period. Stop expecting so much from it. Don't get agitated over the downsides, let them roll off your back. Do it well and detach. Live for and find your fulfillment in what you do outside work. Millions of people have never been fortunate enough to hold jobs they like. Many do this. You need to learn how to switch off the whiny perpetual victim inner voice, get out of your own head and probably out of your own company. If you are never around anyone but yourself, that's the only voice you'll hear. Change the message OP.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2021 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:05 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
What is it about your job you hate? Is it the work, the bosses or the people you work with? Can't give meaningful advice without more information. There's always a way to deal better with situations and people and be happier. Sometimes you have to stick it out and keep an eye open for a better opportunity.
I hate the work itself and the management. I drive a forklift at a warehouse

Old 04-09-2021, 02:20 PM

928 posts, read 499,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
If thats what you do, I would go to college and try to get a degree. Never too late to do that. Doesn't solve your problem for the next few years. You will have to find something else, but at least you can better yourself and open up more opportunities with a degree.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:31 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
Quote:
There's lots of other jobs you can train and apply for, civil service has the parks dept., sanitation, EMT, fireman, parking enforcement. Utilities have meter reader, utility worker, tree trimmer. There are trades you can learn and apply for like welder, construction, sheetrock, painter, carpenter, landscaper, hvac, plumber, electrician, truck driver, draftsman. Three jobs I applied for but didn't get in my 20's, were federal park police, sanitation, and fingerprint analyst. I probably could have been happy working at any of those jobs. I didn't get them but I took whatever was offered that paid the bills. I had good bosses and bad bosses, jobs I hated and jobs I enjoyed. I always did my best and kept my eyes open for the rare transfer or promotion, which improved my situation, which did come along. By the time I was in my early 40's I got the job I really loved in computers, which I did until I retired.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:13 AM

762 posts, read 452,042 times
May be time for you to enjoy your life fully and that beings when you start looking for another job.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:42 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Do you see an issue here, that none of your hobbies involve other people?
There's nothing wrong with that. Many people have solitary type hobbies (and: they weren't the ones losing their minds when lockdown happened and they had to amuse themselves in their own homes). Hell, depending on the nature of OP's job, being able to unwind without a bunch of people around may be just the thing.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:51 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
There's nothing wrong with that. Many people have solitary type hobbies (and: they weren't the ones losing their minds when lockdown happened and they had to amuse themselves in their own homes). Hell, depending on the nature of OP's job, being able to unwind without a bunch of people around may be just the thing.
If you look at the combination of his threads in relationships, non romantic, psychology and mental health, they all paint a clear picture of someone unhappy with every aspect of their life. From hating his job, to having a smartphone addiction, to not having friends and only involved in solo hobbies, my point is that he needs to get out of his own head, and if you want friends, staying at home by yourself isn’t the way to make any.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:41 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
If you look at the combination of his threads in relationships, non romantic, psychology and mental health, they all paint a clear picture of someone unhappy with every aspect of their life. From hating his job, to having a smartphone addiction, to not having friends and only involved in solo hobbies, my point is that he needs to get out of his own head, and if you want friends, staying at home by yourself isn’t the way to make any.
Well, before the pandemic i was getting out and going to Meetups but there haven't been as many meetups since the pandemic and you can't really go to bars/restaurants, so what options are there?

Old 04-14-2021, 10:49 PM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Your only real option is to create a business, invest, or learn a skill that doesn’t involve you being tied to a location or job industry you hate.

It’s far from easy, but if you’re miserable then you have to give it a shot. I was miserable in the Air Force so I gave that up to become a defense contractor.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:13 AM

417 posts, read 455,244 times
Quote:
Well, before the pandemic i was getting out and going to Meetups but there haven't been as many meetups since the pandemic and you can't really go to bars/restaurants, so what options are there?
This is very true. It does seem now with the increase in vaccinations and all that things are slowly returning to a bit more normal. I know I am in some groups that have been meeting via zoom only (which is ok but really is not a substitute for real interaction) ...but they are starting to say we will meet in person next month. A lot of the meetups are getting there.
Otherwise I do feel for you because even for introverts or people who do not care to be around others, this isolation is having very trying times for everyone.
It is getting a bit better though so there's hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health