Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 09:15 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Some people always need big events, always have to go somewhere (besides work/school/church), or a lot of people around to feel alive & happy, otherwise if they don't, life is too mundane for them. Perhaps when COVID started, that made you really notice that you can hang in there (or learn to) OR life's gotten worse for you.

Can you enjoy the simple things in life? What simple things make you happy?

I can & always have enjoyed simple things. I love:

- spending time w/ my Mom, especially the older she gets
- any time w/ my fiance' no mattr what we're doing together (cooking, eating, walking around, etc.)
- rainy days
- good TV/movie, especially if while eating good food
- going biking
- having a nice stroll somewhere lovely
- relaxing at home all day
- enjoying a nice smoothie
- good food
- spending time w/ my dog (back when I had one at the time): Playing, walking, watching him snore when he slept, etc.
- if I'm in the mood, making a nice dish/meal
- having a nice walk

(And in case you're wondering, no, I don't live in the type of location w/ a low population, has nothing much to do, has only 1 store or 1 street light in town where everyone knows everyone, etc. I've always lived in Southern California.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 10:00 PM

3,104 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Can you enjoy the simple things in life? What simple things make you happy?
Hi,

Nice thread. I love your list.

Yes. I can enjoy the simple things in life. I always could. I'm comfortable being alone but also at ease with friends/people.

What I love, the list is loooong:

- my daily meditations, the longer...the better. It's my mental shower, and it helps me get balanced, calm and at peace;
- taking a walk in the eucaliptus forest;
- reading a good book;
- pencil drawing;
- making things with my hands, such as: jewelry, clothing, knitting, rugs, bags, book marks, espadrilles, embroidery...and then gifting them to my friends;
- feeding the birds and squirrels. They come to eat on the balcony, it's a feast. My cat is mesmerized at the window and starts to vibrate/vocalize. Ha ha. Then, she gets exhausted and sleeps the rest of the day.
- smelling the grass, flowers, watching the stars, painting my nails, having a tea, so many things...
The best is just staying in stillness, in silence.

Last edited by farm108; 12-06-2021 at 10:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 02:28 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Yes. For most of my life so far I have and hopefully always will. Particularly a contented love of nature and just "being" part of the place within which I happen to be living. There have been a few periods when I wasn't at peace with myself and found simple things not as satisfying, but that's not their fault! Once the peace came back through focused mental work, the enjoyment of simple things came back...

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-07-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 11:29 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Agree about Nature. I find the most enjoyment looking at the birds outside my sliding door, swooping, darting, the white egret stalking insects and lizards in the vegetation. The comical sand-bubbler crabs racing in and out of their holes in the sand, or standing on their hind legs to "fight" with each other.

Watching an informative or entertaining video while exercising.

Writing and receiving emails.

Walking on the beach and returning for happy hour on the balcony is the best part of the day.

We don't go anywhere or have much of a social life right now so I am appreciating the simple/stay-at-home parts of life these days.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:12 PM

Great guys, thanks for sharing! Sounds good.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:38 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I too enjoy the simple life
relaxing at home watching a movie
taking a ride somewhere with my husband just to site see places we never been on Long Island
taking a nap on the weekend

My brother and his family are always going. Everything they do has to be big. They Have three kids ages 10 8 and 5. They say the must have something to do at all times because sitting a round the house relaxing is not their thing. They live in Ohio so when they visit my mom they always have to have something planned to do. why not sit and talk with Grandma? Kids are involved with so many afterschool activities that they never have down time. When I visited them 3 years ago my brother warned me that it was going to be a very busy visit and that there was no time for relaxing. Have not been back since LOL

Old 12-12-2021, 11:24 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
A rescue dog sleeping on my lap or next to me while I read……. Soft music, maybe a cup of tea or glass of wine on the side table. If its raining outside, even better. Perhaps even a fire in the fireplace and even maybe I’m in my sweats following a long hike and a bath. Oh, my heaven on earth.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:11 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I love reading the examples some of you have shared. I have to be in the right mindset to be there, but yes I am able to appreciate the small things.
Coffee, wine, sunshine, a pretty vista.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:52 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Yes, I enjoy the small things in life, that's why I always keep a magnifying glass handy. (Small joke.)

I like reading, eating at home, going for walks etc.

I tend to avoid large groups or crowds of people because I don't find it very satisfying.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:08 PM

Fabulous guys! I think it's important to be able to because everyday life isn't always like a party everyday. People who need that kind of excitement are going to be miserable all the time. I personally don't even care for parties much really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health