Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2023, 08:28 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

Some good news about the internet, for a change:

Study: Regular Use of Internet Reduces Risk of Dementia

Quote:
Regular Internet usage was associated with approximately half the risk of dementia compared with non-regular usage. This link was found regardless of educational attainment, race-ethnicity, sex, and generation. The lowest risk was observed among adults with 0.1-2 hours of usage, though estimates were non-significant due to small sample sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 10:12 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Clickbait. But, at my age, like a moth to a flame, I had to read it.

It doesn't take a medical study to convince me that engaging in intellectual pursuits every day keeps the brain/mind active and repels the specter of dementia.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:25 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

It doesn't take a medical study to convince me that engaging in intellectual pursuits every day keeps the brain/mind active and repels the specter of dementia.
Guess what one considers internet "intellectual pursuits" matters. Its one thing to use the web to read about new things, keep up with topics and new ideas flitting between millions of users from across the globe, but quite another to use it for nothing more taxing than watching videos of stupid human tricks or comparing likes on Farcebook.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:52 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Would you prefer the original study?

Internet usage and the prospective risk of dementia: A population-based cohort study (JAGS)

Old 05-08-2023, 03:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Junk study.

Did they review genealogies of the people involved to see if it ran in the family?

The article says it reduces risk. If it reduces risk, there needs to be a reason given for the reduction.

You can't just sit there and say we followed internet usage and these people got dementia and these people didn't - and claim internet usage reduces dementia... that's ridiculous.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:11 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
People will believe what suits them. I looked briefly at the study, and the people were followed for 17.1 years BUT that was from age 50 to 64.9. So, go ahead and see where that takes you, but I'll stick with getting outside to walk and having contact with other humans for a quality of life.

They have come up with all kinds of ways to avoid dementia, but usually change their minds. Probably the most worthy idea I have heard is that you must study, learn and use what you have learned to keep building something in your brain. Being older, I am seeing those that appear to have dementia seem to have in the family in general, but is it due to their lifestyle or is it in their genes - my vote from observation is lifestyle. Sit like lump doing mind numbing things, and soon one is just a lump sitting there.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:08 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
People will believe what suits them. I looked briefly at the study, and the people were followed for 17.1 years BUT that was from age 50 to 64.9. So, go ahead and see where that takes you, but I'll stick with getting outside to walk and having contact with other humans for a quality of life.

They have come up with all kinds of ways to avoid dementia, but usually change their minds. Probably the most worthy idea I have heard is that you must study, learn and use what you have learned to keep building something in your brain. Being older, I am seeing those that appear to have dementia seem to have in the family in general, but is it due to their lifestyle or is it in their genes - my vote from observation is lifestyle. Sit like lump doing mind numbing things, and soon one is just a lump sitting there.
This makes more sense than anything in that study.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
My Early Onset Dementia will be right on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health