U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 PM

812 posts, read 1,520,515 times
Trish, I'm going to log out but I subscribed to the thread. Send me a note and I'll check on you tomorrow okay!

I totally understand so I'll be checking. Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 PM

874 posts, read 2,631,371 times
Thanks so much for your care and concern, Prinny. For that you get some points!! But in response to your question..yes, I like the cool sensation..but what I notice is that I can't just suck the mints..I have to crunch em. sigh..

i must sound so ridiculous to folks that can't relate..but what can I tell ya!!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 PM

5,289 posts, read 4,304,002 times
Maybe some peppermint chewing gum would curb the urge.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 PM

3,191 posts, read 5,487,505 times
All that sugar couldn't be good for you...nor the mint flavor...
have you tried chilled baby carrots?? Crunchy AND healthy!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
Thanks so much for your care and concern, Prinny. For that you get some points!! But in response to your question..yes, I like the cool sensation..but what I notice is that I can't just suck the mints..I have to crunch em. sigh..

i must sound so ridiculous to folks that can't relate..but what can I tell ya!!
Doesn't sound ridiculous cause I couldn't just suck on the ice either, had to do the crunch thing,

It's morning now, how are ya doing?

Just curious, I was anemic, do you get cold a lot? That was also a symptom I had along w/ the craving.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 AM
GLS

1,990 posts, read 3,369,864 times
You are both on the right track that the uncontrolled desire to "crunch" may be indicative of iron-deficiency anemia. Excessive eating of ice is a form of pica. This is the ingestion of non-food substances. Pica specific to eating ice is known as pagophagia. Often this is associated with low iron stores. Your physician can easily diagnose this by running labs to measure ferritin levels and TIBC (total iron binding capacity). Your physician can also help you trace the etiology of the anemia. For example, it is possible that you have a gastrointestinal problem that interferes with iron absorbtion, i.e. gluten intolerance.

Here's the good news. If iron deficiency anemia is the cause of your compulsion to crunch, it is easily cured. On the other hand, the risks of continuing with the problem (especially with ice) include broken teeth or cut gums. You are NOT "addicted". You are NOT being silly. Follow-up with your physician and good luck.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
You are both on the right track that the uncontrolled desire to "crunch" may be indicative of iron-deficiency anemia. Excessive eating of ice is a form of pica. This is the ingestion of non-food substances. Pica specific to eating ice is known as pagophagia. Often this is associated with low iron stores. Your physician can easily diagnose this by running labs to measure ferritin levels and TIBC (total iron binding capacity). Your physician can also help you trace the etiology of the anemia. For example, it is possible that you have a gastrointestinal problem that interferes with iron absorbtion, i.e. gluten intolerance.

Here's the good news. If iron deficiency anemia is the cause of your compulsion to crunch, it is easily cured. On the other hand, the risks of continuing with the problem (especially with ice) include broken teeth or cut gums. You are NOT "addicted". You are NOT being silly. Follow-up with your physician and good luck.
Oh yes! That's why when I saw Trish's post I had to answer! I ended up w/ a full blown hysterectomy, this was 13 years ago. So at the time I was chomping on all the ice it escalated over months and months. Wish someone pointed this out to me way in advance so I could have mentally prepared. I hadn't chewed on ice since my hysterectomey nor did I know had bad my anemia was.

Now we need Trish to get to a Dr. and get blood work. I hope she is okay!

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM

874 posts, read 2,631,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post

Thanks for the info..as a matter of fact, I have major gastrointestinal problems..by the end of the night, I look like I'm about 8mnths pregnant.

I really need to ge the help that I need...too much of one thing is NO GOOD!! This crave due to possible iron deficiency can lead to other medical problems...

Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,286 times
hey trish. i'm also addicted to altoids! i go through about a can every day. i thought i was the only one. i just love the crunch and taste. i'm glad i'm not the only one. i also used to crunch on ice a lot before i ate altoids. interesting...

Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,335,428 times
Trish-not Altoids here but peppermint lifesavers. Buy them by the big bag and have tried to stop but can't. Already have broken a tooth last year.

Have blood work the 18th and will mention this to my doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health