Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,729,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
+ 1 to Alice2

Ask yourself this question:

Are you powerless over alcohol and is your life unmanageable?

I'm 10 years sober

Feel free to PM me if need be. And give yourself a big pat on the back for having the courage to reach out. You're already on your way even though you may not think so. Only way to find out if you're one of us is to go to a meeting and see if you identify with alcoholics and this disease.
Thanks for your response. I know that my life is not unmanageable, I also know that there are times when once I start drinking, it's hard to say, "OK, I'm done for the night." I've always been the one who wants to keep the party going. So, I've started the process of trying to turn things around. I guess, as I've grown, I've realized that I need to reevaluate certain things in my life. I never want to have another hangover again! It's not like it was every night, or even every week, but I want to be healthier, and this is a start in a good direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM

201 posts, read 963,116 times
The physiological problem with alcoholics is that when we have that first drink we then have the compulsion to continue, typically w/out stopping. Some Doctors have studied/stated that there is a chemical reaction that takes place which causes this. Thus we're just not like normal drinkers.

You also don't have to drink every day/week to be an alcoholic. As mentioned earlier a great way to find out is to read up on some AA literature and/or go to a meeting.

Good luck, stay strong.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,256,789 times
We who have gone through this experience at one time or another have thought we could control the situation. I will just not do this anymore. It's not that simple for most. What we "think" we can do and what we can "actually" do is often two different things. As mentioned in other posts it's not always in our control. The support in the AA meetings is so important and is what helps so many!!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,423,868 times
Do the same genes cause alcohol dependence and eating disorders? - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health