Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times

Advertisements

Does anyone suffers from Sudden or Seasonal Affective Disorder, and if you do, how do you cope with it in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,124 times
Default I have Seasonal Affective Disorder

I have tried just about everything you can think of to deal with SAD. The 10,000 LUX lights only helped a small amount, 5 HTP or Amoryn (with 5HTP in it) helped a bit more, but I do not like the side affects it has on me, so I am not going to take it again. Really good vitamins helped the most, but when it comes right down to it, I have to move down south. My husband and I have been preparing now for quite a while to move. Neither of us really want to, I just have to. I am hoping he can move within the next few months, otherwise, I will have to go south on and off this winter like I did last winter. Financially difficult to do though.

Good Luck, Let me know if you would like anymore specifics that might help you. I have been trying to get help for 6 years now.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Seasonal Affective Disorder is experienced by some people who have moved to western Washington state from more sunny areas of the country. Here are some ideas from them.
I believe this is sometimes called Sudden Onset Seasonal Affective Disorder.

How do you guys deal with SAD?
Want to move to WA but scared of SAD
How well do light boxes work for SAD?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I know this will upset folks, but I think this SADs thing is a bit of an over reaction. Who doesn't get depressed when it's cold and dark out? If you're depressed already, then you get more depressed in the winter. You just have to force yourself to be more active. Times are tough and we just need to toughen up a bit more. For example, I can't afford heat, so I have to freeze all winter. No fun!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM

657 posts, read 1,787,844 times
i just started another thread not realizing what it was called. yes i feel the weather affects me.. i just cant keep warm.. thats what bothers me. i just want to stay bundeld all day, am always cold and it hurts to be cold. dont want to do anything when its cold. and when the sun isnt out and its cold.. ughh.
i am moving to florida soon. i absolutly love the humid weather.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
Yeah I have Issues with SAD,I think the full spectrum lights help...
I cant afford the big box you can buy.But i think having one bulb can help..
I bought one at a health food store for about 8$.
It also helps to exercise i think.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I really suffer from that as the Winter depresses me severely too.... so open all the blinds/curtains when it's sunny and get the NATURAL light in. I go to the park almost everyday at lunch and sit in the Sun and it really revitalizes me and as an added benefit it's keeping my tan where my skin is exposed and also getting Vitamin D which is the most beneficial to us. I never where sunscreen.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I just suffer through it. I hate it though. I have said hundreds of times that I wish we could have March through November then start over again. I could do without December, January and February. So depressing. The only reason I include November is I kind of like the first part of winter - the gray skies and brisk cool wind. But by the end of November I've had enough - time for spring!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I get cold (and can't warm up) and hurt in the winter, too. I HATE winter! We do try to at least take a winter vacation in a warm area, when possible. It really does help!
I just try to get into the best shape I can PRIOR to winter setting in, because I know I will stop being so active...and that's not good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health