Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times

Advertisements

Daysi - a doctor that can(and will) prescribe the right medication is essential, unfortunately they are also hard to find. One resource that I have used in the past is bpkids.org. There is a directory of doctors on that site, listed by state. Otherwise, look for somebody specializing in pediatric or adolescent behavioral health. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,369 times
I have a 15 year old daughter with bipolar. She refuses to take her medication. Most days, it is bearable being in the same house, I've gotten used to the foul language and worse attitude. Some days however, she explodes into a ball of rage. The worst part is that in an hour or so she's laughing and joking again. It's infuriating. How do you get a child of this age to take medication?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmc View Post
I have a 15 year old daughter with bipolar. She refuses to take her medication. Most days, it is bearable being in the same house, I've gotten used to the foul language and worse attitude. Some days however, she explodes into a ball of rage. The worst part is that in an hour or so she's laughing and joking again. It's infuriating. How do you get a child of this age to take medication?
Are you familiar with the Balanced Mind Foundation? It's an organization for parents of children with mental illness, bi-polar specifically. They have a great forum on their site and I believe they have local support groups in some areas. People there should be able to give you advice: Forums | The Balanced Mind Foundation

Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmc View Post
I am no expert, but can any of her medication be injected, to eliminate or limit the battle over taking pills each day? Or would the battle of getting her to a doctor for the injections be worse?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I am no expert, but can any of her medication be injected, to eliminate or limit the battle over taking pills each day? Or would the battle of getting her to a doctor for the injections be worse?
Getting her to go to the doctor is a huge battle. I know, and I have heard, that I should put my foot down. Easier said than done with a child of this age.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Are you familiar with the Balanced Mind Foundation? It's an organization for parents of children with mental illness, bi-polar specifically. They have a great forum on their site and I believe they have local support groups in some areas. People there should be able to give you advice: Forums | The Balanced Mind Foundation
I will definitely check this out. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health