Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 02:20 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,499,866 times

Advertisements

SAN DIEGO, Oct. 30 (UPI) -- A 100-year-old woman in Carlsbad, Calif., says avoiding stress has allowed her to live a long and happy life.

Woman, 100, says stress prevents long life - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN DIEGO, Oct. 30 (UPI) -- A 100-year-old woman in Carlsbad, Calif., says avoiding stress has allowed her to live a long and happy life.

Woman, 100, says stress prevents long life - UPI.com
I always enjoy reading about the ''secrets'' of longevity in humans.....however there's nothing new about this as i've been reading this for years that having a ''sense of purpose'' and having family members involved is the key to longevity and not any particular special diet as much as i'd like to believe that Calorie Restriction works but still waiting on proof which will take years.

However Jeanne Calment who is the oldest documented human ever to live until 122 (1875-1997) with no Alzheimers or Parkinson's at her death swore that her daily drink of dry Red Wine since age 15 was her longevity secret (Resveratrol ??).

I could go for some Cabernet Sauvignon right now .

Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 AM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
She was asked how she lived so long, she said: "I don't let things bother me. I deal with problems immediately, then don't bother of it anymore, and I go my merry way."

And, perhaps the secret of her longevity? She never married!

You can hear sociopaths talking this way, too! Sometimes I wonder about these people who live so long, perhaps they ditched their stress onto others, or created it for others?

She grew up in a whole different age. Place this woman in the workplace today with an overabundance of workers, never knowing if you have a job today or tomorrow, and we shall see if that doesn't bother her and she deals with her problems immediately, and then goes her merry way!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,968,813 times
Its hardly news that stress can take years off ones life or contribute to death. But there are some that rant and rave and live to be very old too. Those people will say, its better to get it out than bottle it up. One can be a very happy go lucky type and drop dead from a heart attack with no warning. There are many factors involved to longevity, and a bit of luck too. I think those cold types that care nothing for anyone but themselves are probably less stressed, as they don't get worked up over other peoples troubles or think of the plight of the down and out. They may live a long life, but I wouldn't want to be that way.

There were stresses back when this woman was young too. Remember the depression back in the 30's, that was certainly a very stressful and unsure time for many people. World War 2, did this woman lose family or friends in that war? Stress isn't anything new or necessarily worse these days. People do discuss it more often and have a better understanding of its potential impact on health.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
One word.
Genetics.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

You can hear sociopaths talking this way, too! Sometimes I wonder about these people who live so long, perhaps they ditched their stress onto others, or created it for others?

She grew up in a whole different age. Place this woman in the workplace today with an overabundance of workers, never knowing if you have a job today or tomorrow, and we shall see if that doesn't bother her and she deals with her problems immediately, and then goes her merry way!
Right. I know people who lived to be in their late 80's by taking their stress and problems and literally dumping them on others--repeatedly and constantly. They were the poor victims, yet lived to be almost 90. People around both of them looked 100 and sick as dogs, yet it didn't affect them or their continued behaviors. Maybe that's the secret--just don't give a dam* about anything or anyone?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
I used to say that in my family, you were either nice and Jewish and got cancer, or crazy and Christian and lived forever. Nothing to do with stress. Genetics.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I used to say that in my family, you were either nice and Jewish and got cancer, or crazy and Christian and lived forever. Nothing to do with stress. Genetics.

Hehe. That's a good one.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
While I can't deny that it is very interesting to hear why very old people think they have reached their age (whatever age it is), I don't put too much stock in their answers for two reasons:
1. One individual case proves very little.
2. I don't think they know the reasons themselves anyway.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,878,282 times
Oh, I have to agree. My Neighbor recently turned 98.

When she was 94- She had cancer.
When she was 95- she lost her son.
When she was 96-97 she stopped eating and slept all day and stopped going to church.

As of now, she has resumed going to church, and is eating, (not as much as she could) but enough.

So avoiding stress does help age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health