Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 AM

112 posts, read 581,537 times

Advertisements

Does anyone besides myself have a mushroom phobia? I'm scared to death of those gross things. Wild ones are the worst. I guess it's a rare phobia. I have had this all my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Not me, but you're certainly not alone.

Mycophobia: The Fear of Mushrooms - Associated Content

I used to work with a woman who was disgusted, revolted at the thought of eating mushrooms; didn't want to handle them either.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Interesting.

I love mushrooms! (The ones you buy in the store or at the produce stand, not fresh picked from the woods!)

Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Are you referring to the little ones in the box at the grocery store?

I'm kidding, I'm like that about mice. I can't even see on one television without getting the creeps and wanting to sit on my feet.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:03 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,652 times
Default Ewwww!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicBoxBallerina74 View Post
Does anyone besides myself have a mushroom phobia? I'm scared to death of those gross things. Wild ones are the worst. I guess it's a rare phobia. I have had this all my life.
Geez, I can relate! I see someone else eating them and I get nauseaous. Even thinking about them bothers me. Always has even though both parents love them.

Dea

Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Default My worst fear.

Thanks for the replies. My fear is so bad that I don't even like to look at pictures of them. I remember being scared to death to go outside to play if one was in the yard. The bigger they are and the more there are the worse the fear. I've heard of people having crazy fears over stuff like peaches, pickles, even cotton balls but never mushrooms. They look nasty and weird to me. I don't recall anything tragic in my childhood over mushrooms I'm just scared to death of them. And yes I don't even like the ones in the grocery store but the ones that grow in the wild I can't even deal with the thought of them. My worst fear is one or more growing in my yard. When I go outside I scan the yard to see if any are around! LOL!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, this just sounds so crazy when I think about it. But it's not when I see one and my heart starts beating really fast and this wave of fear just comes over me. I know they can't hurt me. That's the weird thing. I was wondering if anyone else had this phobia and how do you deal with it? Do they grow in the desert? I live in NorCal and they do here in the mountains and along coast. Running away from my fears I guess.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,340 times
You should eat them! They are yummy!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 PM

Default Gross!!!!!!!!

Only if I can watch you eat a poisonous one first.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,725 times
Dont feel bad everything you said is the exact way I feel. I walkeed on one and didnt know it after taking out the garbage. I went bizzare....I mean SCREAMING !! SCREAMING !! to the top of of my lungs..It s a terrible feeling.I came here to get some answers but nobody has a good conclusion. Its weired, theres has to be a reason for this.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
Im so sorry for you having this phobia. Im sure it sucks. It not so terrible to have a "typical" phobia like snakes/sharks/hights/etc. because people almost always know SOMEONE else who is afraid of that. I dont have a fear of mushrooms, but I am phobic about outhouses. yeah....thankfully, its not something that I freak out over if I see one, but theres no way on the face of this earth, is anyone going to get me near one. no no no way. Ive tried to "get over it" and the closest Ive come is about 5ft to one. Took about 10feet before the full blown panic attack hit, and by 5ft, i was totally hypervalating and in a blind flight. I dont even remember fighting off my husband in my terror to get away. I just was swinging and running. I finally was stopped about 100ft away. Hello tree... So anyhow, I just wanted to say, i totally sympathize with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health