Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,094 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I've been smoking since I was 15, i'm 41 now. I really haven't tried to quit in the past, never really wanted to. I guess getting older, plus I had angioplasty done when I was 35, and a friend of mine being on me and my husband constantly are the big reasons why I want to quit. I bought some of that nicorette gum stuff? BLAH! That's just too nasty for my liking!

Something to complicate the mood thing......i'm in the early phase of menopause! My husband thinks that, along with me quitting smoking could jeopardize his well being!!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, maybe things that helped them along the way? I'm not really wanting to use any medications if I can help it. I take enough as it is.

Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
I don't know if it will help or not, but on the "other" topics, there is a thread about quitting smoking-"how to quit smoking cigarettes" is the name. Several people have contributed to that, it might be worth taking a look.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
Hi there!

I've been smoking since I was 15, i'm 41 now. I really haven't tried to quit in the past, never really wanted to. I guess getting older, plus I had angioplasty done when I was 35, and a friend of mine being on me and my husband constantly are the big reasons why I want to quit. I bought some of that nicorette gum stuff? BLAH! That's just too nasty for my liking!

Something to complicate the mood thing......i'm in the early phase of menopause! My husband thinks that, along with me quitting smoking could jeopardize his well being!!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, maybe things that helped them along the way? I'm not really wanting to use any medications if I can help it. I take enough as it is.

Thanx!
A lot of posts on this subject can be seen at:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...t=quit+smoking

Good luck!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
You can try hypnotherapy. I have a private practice (I am actually a psychotherapist) doing this and it really helps people stop smoking. It also helps for just about anything.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
lauri, recognize, your favorite puff times, is it with coffee?? a drink? a break at work? with certain friends? you need to change that habit altogether, too strong a connection, alert your fellow smokers,,,not to offer,
if you can get thru the first few days,,,you are cruisin, the smoke will "stink" to you,,,thats what you want, and if you broke down and puffed one, you'd be dizzy, remember that feelin!
here's my suggestion;
start a new wellness, plan,,,along with quittin smoking,,,,,maybe start walking, eating better, go on a diet, etc,
also, every,,,put over 5 in a jar everyday,,,,dont touch it,,,thats the smokes money, accumalating, and buy yourself something every/week or month,
and..DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! drop the coffee!!!

good luck lauri, millions quit everyday!!

you've got to replace the "urge" of wanting a smoke, with a better feeling of self-awareness, thats why i recommend a ,,diet/fitness/work-out plan,,

Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanx for the replies!

I never thought to look in OT for anything, but thanx for the link!

Sablebaby~
Never thought about it. Hmmmmmmmm.......

MBM~
Thanx! Now if I can just get over my coffee addiction!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
Hi there!

I've been smoking since I was 15, i'm 41 now. I really haven't tried to quit in the past, never really wanted to. I guess getting older, plus I had angioplasty done when I was 35, .....
OMIG-D! Angio at 35y/o and you are STILL SMOKING!!!!!
Girlfriend, put those things down NOW! Decide on a day to put the things down, toss the ashtrays, lighters, matches, etc. the evening before, and get your teeth cleaned that morning. You can do this - your health depends on it. Yes, I am a 2.5 pack-a-day- Marlboro red box smoker who makes a conscious choice every day NOT TO since 8:25am November 15, 1988. It was easier having a baby!! There is a vaccine that has just come out - ask your healthcare provider about it. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I smoked for 40 years. Thank god, I am still in good health. I finally decided to give it up a few weeks ago. My Dr. prescribed the pill that works on the part of the brain that causes addictions. I have been smoke free for only one week. I never crave a smoke or hardly even think about it. I will have to continue this medication for a couple months just to be sure...

Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
OMIG-D! Angio at 35y/o and you are STILL SMOKING!!!!!
Girlfriend, put those things down NOW! Decide on a day to put the things down, toss the ashtrays, lighters, matches, etc. the evening before, and get your teeth cleaned that morning. You can do this - your health depends on it. Yes, I am a 2.5 pack-a-day- Marlboro red box smoker who makes a conscious choice every day NOT TO since 8:25am November 15, 1988. It was easier having a baby!! There is a vaccine that has just come out - ask your healthcare provider about it. Good luck!
Yeah, 35. That's a part of my stupidity that I always refused to look at. Genetics. No one in my family went beyond the age of 35 without either having a heart attack or angio. My Father died at the age of 35 from a massive coronary. I guess I always looked at my Mom and thought I had her makeup although she had her first heart attack at the age of 40. She smoked for 50 years. She lived until the age of 76. She died 2 years ago from Alzheimer's.

Coronary Artery Disease runs in my family on both sides. I guess my age is making me really think hard about it now.

Wow, 2 1/2 packs of Marb reds per day??? Glad you're still with us!! Right now i've managed to cut back to 1/2 a pack of Marb 100's per day. Down from 1 pack per day. I just want to stop altogether now.

I'll ask about that vaccine.

Thanx!

Last edited by Lauri_25ny; 03-16-2007 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: forgot to put something in

Old 03-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I smoked for 40 years. Thank god, I am still in good health. I finally decided to give it up a few weeks ago. My Dr. prescribed the pill that works on the part of the brain that causes addictions. I have been smoke free for only one week. I never crave a smoke or hardly even think about it. I will have to continue this medication for a couple months just to be sure...
Glad you're still here, too!

What's the name of the medication? I'm hoping I can do it without meds, but if I can't, i'm willing to look at all options.

Thanx!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health