Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:06 PM

466 posts, read 928,539 times

Advertisements

Gosh, here's an even better one.

The Dangers Of Burning Paraffin Candles (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Dangers-Of-Burning-Paraffin-Candles&id=73414 - broken link)

Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Here's an easy to read article on toluene and psychosis (mental illness)

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HP...=1191857562150

Old 04-17-2009, 04:44 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
From Ezine articles that are linked to support burning candles:

That reports how to ensure success being a Monavie distributor (which has been reported on consumerist and the FTC as a pyramid scam The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back).

That if you eat right, exercise, sleep, and hang yourself upside down you can grow taller.

That taking ant-acids lets people get osteoporosis, the trots, and aspirate bacteria into their lungs and get pneumonia.

Fatigue can be helped by veggies (not so bad to eat more), allergies (can make sense), and regular colon cleanses/enemas (um, that's an out hole only).

That Epilepsy is dangerous for a women "For women, epilepsy has very particular implications in terms of sexual development, the menstrual cycle, contraception, fertility, pregnancy and the menopause"...I can find little to link brain disorders to fertility honestly....

I'm sorry to say your source on this makes a great deal of unsupported claims, all without any reference material to anything (let alone a peer reviewed journal or medical text). Toluene and Benzene are nasty chemicals, but you'll find more of each in a gallon of gas then in a 12oz candle.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
From Ezine articles that are linked to support burning candles:

That reports how to ensure success being a Monavie distributor (which has been reported on consumerist and the FTC as a pyramid scam The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back).

That if you eat right, exercise, sleep, and hang yourself upside down you can grow taller.

That taking ant-acids lets people get osteoporosis, the trots, and aspirate bacteria into their lungs and get pneumonia.

Fatigue can be helped by veggies (not so bad to eat more), allergies (can make sense), and regular colon cleanses/enemas (That's an out hole only).

That Epilepsy is dangerous for a women "For women, epilepsy has very particular implications in terms of sexual development, the menstrual cycle, contraception, fertility, pregnancy and the menopause"...I can find little to link brain disorders to fertility honestly....

I'm sorry to say your source on this makes a great deal of unsupported claims, all without any reference material to anything (let alone a peer reviewed journal or medical text).
They are not "claims" it is science.

They are not my sources. I found the easy ones to read for you.

My sources are major universities.

Then go ahead and lightem up. You lose !

Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
They are not "claims" it is science.

They are not my sources. I found the easy ones to read for you.

My sources are major universities.

Then go ahead and lightem up. You lose !
Major universities, wow! Like Hollywood Upstairs Medical College? That's accredited somewhere, even if it's only with penguins.

Lets say magnets make you immortal too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Chiu), I can source that from "Major Universities". Don't pay attention that his mom died while under the immortality treatments, and the 23 FTC complaints...that's not science for you.

Let's post more things from random websites that claim "major universities" did the research without any sort of independent verification, or just make stuff without the links...it's a good deal easier. That will make sure people believe, they would have to be stupid not to.

Last edited by subsound; 04-17-2009 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Major universities, wow! Like Hollywood Upstairs Medical College? That's accredited somewhere, even if it's only with penguins.

Lets say magnets make you immortal too (Alex Chiu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), I can source that from "Major Universities". Don't pay attention that his mom died while under the immortality treatments, and the 23 FTC complaints...that's not science for you.

Let's post more things from random websites that claim "major universities" did the research without any sort of independent verification, or just make stuff without the links...it's a good deal easier. That will make sure people believe, they would have to be stupid not to.

The subject is candles are bad for you not your idea of a good source. Fact is fact.

You sound like you are a little upset. You may want to see someone about your anger issues............. or just put out the candles and get some education.

By the way, do you happen to own a candle company?

Again, I'm just trying to help.

Last edited by tao; 04-19-2009 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: edited out inflammatory comment.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
The subject is candles are bad for you not your idea of a good source. Fact is fact.
LoL...I believe in science that's you know...real. Gosh...something about real studies with patients, testing, large sample sizes and statistical analysis make me more confident then some one saying "Oh, believe me because I know because I know stuff about science and facts". I guess I am dumb because I don't just believe something not researched, I guess I am so gosh darn stupid that way. Kind of like the FDA and medical journals, you know requiring proof instead of believing some ones word for it, because you know they are stupid too...all those silly MD's and PhD's.

Go on believing random crap crazy people type out on websites instead of research, it's your life....I think it's pretty funny If you're worrying about a 12oz candle poisoning you over 6 months (average my wife uses one in) more than the exhaust you suck down going to work every day from the cars air vent from the guy in front of you in traffic...IMHO you have your priorities messed up. Though obviously you know tons about my education, IQ, and what I do from posting in one forum...you must have some esp that needs to be shared with the world

Last edited by tao; 04-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: edited out inflammatory comment from quoted post.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
Anyone who believes that "Aroma Therapy" actually has curative powers beyond what can be achieved by creating a nice smelling, relaxing, atmosphere is already on the outer fringe, so trying to make a connection between candle burning and psychosis is skewed logic.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,898 times
This thread has degenerated into baiting and trading insults. Enough is enough. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health