U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 AM

466 posts, read 649,217 times

Advertisements

So many people using "Aroma therapy" to relax are exposing themselves to Toluene, benzene, lead, carbon monoxide and other poisons which are used to produce scents.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,135,010 times
LOL! That's great. Almost as good as homeopathic remedies wherein the "imprint" of the pathogen is supposedly still around.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM

7,090 posts, read 9,909,033 times
Of course they do...then so does water, loosing other pairs of socks, and listening to Fleetwood Mac.

If they are contaminating scented stuff with this crap (which aren't used in the production Toluene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you would know in about 10 seconds because it's about as nice smelling as paint thinner. Lead takes lighter elements to bond to in order to become airborne in dust (Lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or else it's usually just ingested..and Carbon Monoxide almost exclusively formed when you have an incomplete burn (most often in internal combustion engines Carbon monoxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). You would get 100x more exposure to all of these going to a service station then burning a scented candle or using an aroma therapy evaporator, which won't really hurt you much unless you work there day in and day out.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,197,435 times
thanks for the laugh--I needed that today!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
So many people using "Aroma therapy" to relax are exposing themselves to Toluene, benzene, lead, carbon monoxide and other poisons which are used to produce scents.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,197,435 times
tooo funny!! Plus, thanks for the other information.
Now......I'm off to put in my Rumours CD and continue my mental illness journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Of course they do...then so does water, loosing other pairs of socks, and listening to Fleetwood Mac.

If they are contaminating scented stuff with this crap (which aren't used in the production Toluene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you would know in about 10 seconds because it's about as nice smelling as paint thinner. Lead takes lighter elements to bond to in order to become airborne in dust (Lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or else it's usually just ingested..and Carbon Monoxide almost exclusively formed when you have an incomplete burn (most often in internal combustion engines Carbon monoxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). You would get 100x more exposure to all of these going to a service station then burning a scented candle or using an aroma therapy evaporator, which won't really hurt you much unless you work there day in and day out.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM

746 posts, read 1,815,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
If you're worried about that, than you should really be concerned about di-hydrogen monoxide. This terrible compound is found literally everywhere and it can even kill you if you aren't careful!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 AM

2,778 posts, read 6,657,389 times
Actually I used to work in a place that retailed a LOT of scented candles. Every time they burned sample scents I would get headaches, as would othe rco-workers. Some people would actually get nauseous. They may not cause mental illness but people should be aware that the fragrances are made of synthetic chemical in a lab that pass "likeness" test for the aromas they are trying to resemble, i.e. apple pie, Christman, fresh linen, etc. they are not made of natural essences. Add that to the chemicals needed (as any hobby candlemaker would know) to help them burn longer, burn with less smoke, appropriate coloring, and what have you, one never knows what one may be exposing one's olfactory to.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM

18,435 posts, read 26,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Actually I used to work in a place that retailed a LOT of scented candles. Every time they burned sample scents I would get headaches, as would othe rco-workers. Some people would actually get nauseous. They may not cause mental illness but people should be aware that the fragrances are made of synthetic chemical in a lab that pass "likeness" test for the aromas they are trying to resemble, i.e. apple pie, Christman, fresh linen, etc. they are not made of natural essences. Add that to the chemicals needed (as any hobby candlemaker would know) to help them burn longer, burn with less smoke, appropriate coloring, and what have you, one never knows what one may be exposing one's olfactory to.
Could be the scent giving headaches. I know when I am around perfume, etc, it causes a migraine to kick in. Same with cigarettes.

I have never encountered a candle strong enough to do this, though.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:52 PM

It is my contention that the people who think my original post is funny and find it easy to make jokes like to use candles and are losing touch with reality already.

Keep using them. It helps Charles Darwin make his point.

I'm just trying to help.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:57 PM

I googles candles toluene and this was one of the 1000 articles that came up.

Toxicity of Paraffin Candles

Last edited by tao; 04-19-2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: edited out inflammatory comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health