Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Good article; I hope it's true that it helps memory ability. Perhaps the reports of memory impairment are just coincidental after all, or maybe a little mental laziness... I'll be interested in seeing if they do a full blown study on this.

The article is from Webmd therefore it can't be taken seriously. WebMD is a drug pushing site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Well I really doubt its any worse than taking advise from a forum.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
It is time you all looked into taking DHA from fish oil that is HEALTHY for the brain. Don't ask your medical doctors about it. I'm sure they won't know anything. A good Naturopath will. Nordic Naturals is a great company that has lots of research done by independent third parties on the benefits of Essential Fatty Acids and DHA. Here is what is in their DHA formula Nordic Natural Products For Your Store

I take double or triple what it says to take on the bottle.

What are early signs of EFA deficiency?

• Fatigue
• Poor memory
• Immune weakness
• Dry skin, eczema, or hair loss
• Heart problems
• Reproductive problems (men and women)
• Mood swings or depression
• Poor circulation

FAQs

Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
The article is from Webmd therefore it can't be taken seriously. WebMD is a drug pushing site.
The article is report findings on research, they are not done by webmd.
So the source is not actually webmd but the actual research.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
Quote:
Could it be age related? I don't know, I'm only 43 so I wouldn't think so.
It is not age related, you are far to young to start having age related memory problems. My Mom was in her 80's and had dementia.. I was in my 50's and was in worse shape than she was so I KNEW something was wrong... just didn't know what. If you are already having that brain fog, it is starting so BEWARE! Next you will suddenly become aware that you drove right past the exit you had planned to take in the interstate and it is a few miles behind you.. Start taking CoQ-10.. research CoQ-10/statin drugs on the internet.

Quote:
what happened to your cholesterol? What do you take instead?

I started eating healthier and took fish oil. I only eat what I cook myself so I can control what is in the food I eat. I had mine checked in October and it was 228.. My doctor was happy with that but I was not as I had been feeling really bad and that is why I had went.. I feel best when mine is around 250.. It was checked again in April for a company physical and it was 225.. I keep increasing my fat intake to get it up, then forget and go back to eating healthier again and it comes right down and I start feeling bad again.

Quote:
Well I really doubt its any worse than taking advise from a forum.
When doctors fail to recognize the side effects of a drug a person is taking and brushed you off, the internet and forums like this are all you have. It was a forum like this that showed me what was happening to me and how to recover as best as I can. They won't even admit to the side effects listed on the drug, mush less all the ones that aren't listed. My doctor brushed me off, time and time again and I just kept getting worse and worse. I had went from taking NO drugs to having a bag full to take, yet he failed to realize my constantly declining condition,forums like this that validated my concerns and explained what was happening, what to do and how to fix it. A forum like this is the ONLY reason I am able to work today to support myself and live by myself and keep my Independence. I now know to search the internet before I take ANY drug my doctor offers so I can make an INFORMED decision as to rather the benefits outweigh the risks BEFORE I take a drug.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post

I started eating healthier and took fish oil. I only eat what I cook myself so I can control what is in the food I eat. I had mine checked in October and it was 228.. My doctor was happy with that but I was not as I had been feeling really bad and that is why I had went.. I feel best when mine is around 250.. It was checked again in April for a company physical and it was 225.. I keep increasing my fat intake to get it up, then forget and go back to eating healthier again and it comes right down and I start feeling bad again.
Why would you want to have it at 250? When the goal is to have it bellow 200?
How is your LDL?
I hope when you say 250 you mean the Total Blood Cholesterol level and not the LDL levels, having 250 LDL levels is really high.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
I used to take Tylenol for pain in my hip, but it really messed with my memory.

Sometime the Tylenol would make my memory so bad that I would forget where I put the joint that I was just smoking.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM

That is total (250). Why? Because I feel BAD, have no energy and am just not up to parr with mine to low.. Below 200? To me that is a joke.. my body thinks so too.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
That is total (250). Why? Because I feel BAD, have no energy and am just not up to parr with mine to low.. Below 200? To me that is a joke.. my body thinks so too.
I dont know, I have never heard of somebody feeling tired because of low cholesterol.
and yest below 200 is normal.
250 is high.
Also cholesterol has nothing to do with actual energy like sugar.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Also cholesterol has nothing to do with actual energy like sugar.

Quote:
Although there are fewer types of fats than carbohydrates, fats produce more than twice as much energy as carbohydrates. Being a compact fuel, fat is efficiently stored in the body for later use when carbohydrates are in short supply. Fats are necessary, but only in small amounts. They are used for growth and repair, cushion our bones and internal organs, and provide some insulation against the cold

Fats are essential in energy production in the body. You have to eat fat to get high cholesterol, right? I am no rocket scientist but it makes perfect sense to me and my logical mind.

Getting back to the topic of the Op, statin drugs have a LOT of terrible side effects for a lot of us, including memory problems.. Do I believe that? YES! It happened to me and people I know so I would rather live with cholesterol at 250 than not be able to find my way home from work or live in the pain I was in every day. That is MY choice to make, not someone elses to make for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health