Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

nebulous1 wrote:
Happiness is a by-product of other things. Like the elusive butterfly, you can't just grab it. It happens when you do other things, like master an instrument, cook a particularly difficult meal, help someone, share a good event with someone, receive a geniune compliment, make a difference in someone's life.
If that were the case, happiness would be very limited. I held this same belief for much of my life, then I began to question it and discovered that it is just a common misconception to link happiness with specific accomplishmnts, or having specific things. Granted, happiness is also a by-product of other things, but it is not limited to being a by-product. It can be chosen moment to moment, with mindfulness and much practice. Most people make a half hearted effort to choose happiness, but when they do not immediately feel happy they quickly conclude that it can not be chosen.
You can't choose it. You can only choose to do things that can bring you peace and contentment, but many things in life, we do not control.
I must disagree with this statement becasue I successfully choose it every day. By choice, happiness (equanimity ) is s-l-o-w-l-y becoming my habitual state of mind....and it's far more empowering than allowing every little bump in the road to throw me off kilter, or having to wait until conditions meet my preferences until I allow myself to feel happy.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I wish I could prescribe " happy pills" for some of my coworkers. If you're bitter, you can always sweeten.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Fat Freddy wrote:
I stopped thinking about stuff that I couldn't do anything about, which was what was making me angry and bitter.
This is the only pill that gets to the root of the matter.
It's also the one that leads to a continuance of that which may need to change...

Sometimes anger is the starting point of positive change.

For example... The Boston Tea Party, LOL!

I'm sure everyone can come up with other examples. All of which have factions that were "for" or "against" the change. (As always, it's same old same old... if you might benefit..."for"... if you might not... "against".)

Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Original poster, you are doing more harm than good to the cause of eliminating overdiagnosis/misdiagnosis of psychological disorders by:

• generalizing your statements (quacks)
  • invalidating the suffering of those with severe and persistent mental illness (doorknobs)
There are many of us who have dedicated our entire careers toward supporting and educating the public in a direction of consistently mentally healthy behaviors. I'm offended at your poor judgment in ranting without consideration for its effects on those who chose to read this thread.

You have the right to an opinion, but you'd do more good by using less harsh language, educating yourself as to the facts surrounding how illnesses are diagnosed, and learning more about the disorders you've chosen to decree as non-existent.
I'm sorry, but I've seen what the stigma of subjective "clinical" diagnosis can do to peoples lives. I think I was rather restrained, all considered.

I've had the first hand experience of someone who runs a famous clinic confirming a number of my suspicions.

Want to do something constructive in your career? Come up with 100% objective diagnosis for these disorders and clearly define the line between an objective illness, and a difference of opinion based on your own biases and educational background.

Then you might have something.

'till then, there's still an awful lot of "fluff" in "clinical diagnosis" to my eyes, and to any objective observer.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
What is everyone supposed to walk around like a pot stoned idiot all the time? Happy no matter what happened?

"Wow man, Mod cut: language happens, dude".

The next in a list of normal human reactions to be classified as a medical condition in order to collect insurance money.

What a bunch of nuts, LOL!

Geez, reminds me of people who think doorknobs are dirty... and called obsessive... but the doorknobs *really* are dirty.

How do these people get classified as "doctors" rather than pushers?

No doubt the "solution" will be one SSRI or another... that no doubt has a side effect like... err... umm... "bitterness".

I hear ya! You know, it IS and industry afterall and it's all about the pharmaceuticals not the people.
heaven forbid we have FEELINGS!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
It seems as though the country is turning to a passive-aggressive, blue-pill, forced pacifist mentality. It is considered so offensive now to question or become upset over anything I will not be trampled on, used, mistreated, ripped off, etc. without defending myself. There are too many opportunistic sociopaths and bullies around today.

Happiness is not a "decision" or superficial image to project as "attitude". It's a condition of emotional being brought on by internal AND external influences. Dealing with and resolving issues is healthier than resorting to denial and delusion. Ask someone who has been through a serious loss.
Amen.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
For what it's worth, there is a medical side to this too. It doesn't help that our food now contains all kinds of chemicals which do affect some people. I got rid of several prescriptions after eliminating allergens, additives, etc. and taking probiotics.

Or as the saying goes, "it must be something in the water"

AP: Drugs found in drinking water - USATODAY.com
Traces of Drugs Found in Drinking Water - ABC News
What's In That? How Food Affects Behavior - Health & Science - CBN News - CBN.com
The Diet-Behavior Connection
Roger Masters - Toxins, Brain Chemistry, and Behavior (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Ermasters/tbcba.htm - broken link)
Effects of Toxic Metals on Learning Ability and Behavior
ScienceDirect - NeuroToxicology : Neurobehavioral effects of ambient air pollution on cognitive performance in US adults
Haven't read all of these, but I agree there might be something to your basic hypothesis. Problem is... what psychiatrist is using some objective diagnostic method to prove or disprove that the above are the root cause?

Probably none. Easier to pull out DSM-IV and pick something that sounds about "clinically correct" and get that insurance money flowing.

Obviously there really are mental illnesses. To reiterate, my basic point of contention is the classification method and diagnosis methods. They seem painfully subjective, and thus painfully open to error.

To put a finer point on it, how exactly does one establish of a false positive diagnosis of "bitterness" has occured? I.e. how exactly do you know if something like this actually is a disorder, or just looks like one?

Far as I know (and clearly I'm no expert, just speaking on what I've seen poeple put through) few of these "disorders" have such a clear cut diagnostic indication available at this point in the state of the art.

My argument is that if you are going to call something a disorder and label someone with that stigma you need to establish exactly what's broke, why it's outside bounds of "normal" (normal itself a debatable issue) and then prove the patient has it.

My favorite term in this game is "brain chemical imbalance". (Ever heard the term imbalance used before SSRI's came up. Seems like a buzz word to me that sounds important and makes people accept the diagnosis.)

Turns out they can't and never do measure your brain chemicals... And even if they could you'd still have to establish what "correct balance" is, why it's correct and then that the given patient is out of bounds.

Never seen that happen, have you?

For that matter, all life could be called an electrochemical imbalance. If everything were in balance, you might actually be... dead! LOL!

Last edited by JMadison; 06-24-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The problem with "mental health professionals" is they expect everyone to be happy as a lark all of the time.
No they don't.

Last edited by Violett; 06-25-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Haven't read all of these, but I agree there might be something to your basic hypothesis. Problem is... what psychiatrist is using some objective diagnostic method to prove or disprove that the above are the root cause?

Probably none. Easier to pull out DSM-IV and pick something that sounds about "clinically correct" and get that insurance money flowing.

Obviously there really are mental illnesses. To reiterate, my basic point of contention is the classification method and diagnosis methods. They seem painfully subjective, and thus painfully open to error.

To put a finer point on it, how exactly does one establish of a false positive diagnosis of "bitterness" has occured? I.e. how exactly do you know if something like this actually is a disorder, or just looks like one?

Far as I know (and clearly I'm no expert, just speaking on what I've seen poeple put through) few of these "disorders" have such a clear cut diagnostic indication available at this point in the state of the art.

My argument is that if you are going to call something a disorder and label someone with that stigma you need to establish exactly what's broke, why it's outside bounds of "normal" (normal itself a debatable issue) and then prove the patient has it.

My favorite term in this game is "brain chemical imbalance". (Ever heard the term imbalance used before SSRI's came up. Seems like a buzz word to me that sounds important and makes people accept the diagnosis.)

Turns out they can't and never do measure your brain chemicals... And even if they could you'd still have to establish what "correct balance" is, why it's correct and then that the given patient is out of bounds.

Never seen that happen, have you?

For that matter, all life could be called an electrochemical imbalance. If everything were in balance, you might actually be... dead! LOL!
Hey JMadison, are you going to address my posts or have you made up your mind and aren't going to listen to a rational explanation of the other side of your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
No, we don't always know. People aren't simple and can't easily be put into boxes. Mental diagnoses are a label that we use so we have an idea of what we're looking at, which also points to how long and what kind of treatment a person should start with, which lets the insurance companies know what's going on.

And just because you're given a label of depressive or whatever, that isn't a badge you have to wear the rest of your life, it just indicates where you are right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Medications are only for chemical imbalances. It sounds like Bitterness Disorder happens because of life experiences, not a genetic predisposition. So no, medication problem wouldn't fix the problem.

Labeling is only a starting point, just a way of perceiving the problem. As the person changes, grows, gets better, the label will change as well.

And yes, people should be nicer to one another, but you can't control them, you can only control how you're going to respond to them. Ideally, talk therapy helps you put your thoughts in order and helps you see yourself clearer so that when people are nasty to you, you see that the problem isn't with you, it's with them. Of course, sometimes it might be with you, and that's something also that can be figured out.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
OH its like you read my mind only I have been thinking "WTF unhappiness is NOT the same as depression!"
I recently said this to a Dr. who was trying to tell me maybe I had insomnia because I was depressed. I don't have any of the other symptoms of depression. Am I unhappy with the way my life turned out? Is? Yes. Willingly admitted, not happy with my life, with good reason but carry on. (Vs. have a good life but can't get out of bed) Its not the same as depression and I don't want some pill killing my liver or kidneys's because I'm disappointed. I think the Dr. was sort of po'ed. Like hey, you asked me for a solution now your telling me the expert I'm wrong. Hey if you can't fix my insomnia you can't fix it. Just say so. Don't give me a drug for something else.

And some people are just born p***ed, or sour, or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health