Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

I have been on Paxil for about a year now after being on Prozac for 10+ years. Prozac was great for many years but I hit the Prozac-poop out when it seemed to stop helping. So I switched to Paxil and am starting to dislike it due to: frequent anger, really low sex drive, and no better-than-well feeling like I had with Prozac.

So what do I do now? I'm not sure this is the time to drop everything because it's a really busy period on the job.

Can anyone with experience recommend perhaps one of the newer antidepressants? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Gloomy and grouchy in DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Everyone reacts different to each drug, you can't take recommendations from others. Unfortunately what you have to do is experiment with different drugs. It took me a LOOOONG time to find one that worked for me.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
Are you also seeing a therapist for your depression? Yes, take the meds & I hope they find one that works, but I'm a big believer in counseling therapy, not just another pill.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:40 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Are you also seeing a therapist for your depression? Yes, take the meds & I hope they find one that works, but I'm a big believer in counseling therapy, not just another pill.
There are people that do need pills (me being one) and therapy is not enough. I tried over and over again to go off pills, exercising and doing therapy. It didn't work.

Anti-depressants all work differently. What I found going from Prozac to a different drug was very similar to the OP. After a few months I realized it wasn't for me, and switched to another drug.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks vg, hope you are doing well on your latest meds. It is really kind of scary trying these meds especially when you know how much you can crash with a lapse.

But the Paxil sure makes me like Jeckyl & Hyde... way too in touch with my anger.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,737 times
In Europe, the most common med for depression is St. Johns' wort, NOT pharmaceuticals.

The standard tablet is a 300 mg tab, effective daily dose is 900 mg (up to 1200 mg per day), all at once or spread out. The anti depressive quality is accelerated when taken with 5-htp. The quality brands are HBCProtocols(.com) and Kira brand from drugstores and health food stores.

There's few side effects, a theoretical intolerance to strong sunlight (only observed in cows grazing on St John's wort fields) or possible indigestion at first, and no impotence or loss of libido. It takes 6 weeks to work and up to 3 months for maximum effect. You might benefit from an internet search about St. John's wort.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
St. Johns' wort did nothing for me.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Yeah, St John's Wort sounds great on paper but I've heard many opinions from antidepresent users saying it has little effect. I may still try it someday when life is easier and less stressful.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Just in case, don't take St. Johns with antidepressant, either one or the other not together.
Also St. Johns wort have very little effect (some, but extremely little.)
They interact with each other, so it shouldnt be mixed.
Source: Paroxetine
"See Contraindications. MAOIs, Phenobarbital, theophylline, 5HT1 agonists (e.g., sumatriptan), phenytoin, lithium, anticoagulants (increased bleeding), procyclidine, cimetidine, St. John's Wort, drugs highly bound to plasma protein, drugs affecting liver enzymes. Avoid concurrent use of paroxetine and tryptophan."

Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There are people that do need pills (me being one) and therapy is not enough. I tried over and over again to go off pills, exercising and doing therapy. It didn't work.

Anti-depressants all work differently. What I found going from Prozac to a different drug was very similar to the OP. After a few months I realized it wasn't for me, and switched to another drug.
I believe I said take the medication, but also see a therapist. My daughter has been on antidepressants for years...just about every one on the market. Now she's back to prozac. But not one doctor has sent her to a therapist and it ticks me off.

She did have to go thru a psychiatrist to get her meds for a couple of years, but he didn't do much of anything except write a prescription. "Oh, here, take a pill; ok, let's double that dose." And she's still depressed. So why spend all that money when you're still depressed? At least maybe a therapist could help some work through their depression to where it is minimized and maybe then medication would be more beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health