Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM

257 posts, read 1,444,314 times

Advertisements

I just read about this, where you hear a loud noise while drifting off to sleep.
It is harmless and rare and women get this more than men.
It is related to stress and fatigue.
I had it happen twice last week! I just kinda looked it up, thought it was a dream though...but it actually has a name....and what a stupid name! Exploding head syndrome....REALLY?
I just call it a dream.
Anyone else had it happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,994,803 times
I've always wondered what caused this. Mine is like a balloon popping or a door slamming. It startles me awake.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 AM

305 posts, read 1,233,397 times
ive had it happen twice

Old 06-25-2009, 07:30 AM

23,850 posts, read 33,500,964 times
What happens to me is that my body jumps, don't recall ever having a loud noise, just the body jumping.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 PM

683 posts, read 4,614,881 times
Wow, I thought this was just me. When I am drifting off, I get a noise that sounds like T.V. static, just for a split second.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,155,757 times
wow, I thought I was crazy (well I still could be crazy!!) but have been having weird sensations occur as I was drifting off to sleep. The worse one,besides the door slam noise, is the sensation of what feels like a brain zap.
I found this article:American Sleep Association

Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,783,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What happens to me is that my body jumps, don't recall ever having a loud noise, just the body jumping.
You may very well have sleep apnea. That is a common symptom, the feeling of twitching or jumping, which is your brain's way of saying "wake up and breathe." People dream that they are falling or stumbling sometimes. All snoring is abnormal, as well. Heavy snorers who stop for a second and then start again with a big noise are also stopping breathing during that silence.

Talk to your doctor about an overnight oximetry. You get a small box with a wire to a finger clip that you wear all night. They read out the memory and can see your oxygen level (O2 sats) and heart rate. If it's abnormal, then you go to a sleep center for a full work=up. People with sleep apnea need CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure). Apnea is a risk factor for strokes and heart problems.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-17-2009 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-17-2009, 07:19 AM

23,850 posts, read 33,500,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You may very well have sleep apnea. That is a common symptom, the feeling of twitching or jumping, which is your brain's way of saying "wake up and breathe." People dream that they are falling or stumbling sometimes. All snoring is abnormal, as well. Heavy snorers who stop for a second and then start again with a big noise are also stopping breathing during that silence.
Interesting. Never heard that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Talk to your doctor about an overnight oximetry. You get a small box with a wire to a finger clip that you wear all night. They read out the memory and can see your oxygen level (O2 sats) and heart rate. If it's abnormal, then you go to a sleep center for a full work=up. People with sleep apnea need CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure). Apnea is a risk factor for strokes and heart problems.
I'm familiar with sleep studies.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,545 times
This has happened to me a few times. Woke up and was like WTF! Who slammed a door! I've also jumped too. Weird

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,907 times
I've found that the use of anti-depressants seem to cause the 'zapping' sounds, especially during the initial getting used to them time or during the withdrawal from them period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health