U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,404,578 times

Advertisements

I am trying however I am taking THE PATCH OFF, later and smoking two cigarettes tonight. This is being cut to one on saturday, and full force patch sunday and NONE. I need to look foward to that cigarette tonight. I will get there on Sunday to your suggestion captain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,167,334 times
I am an expert on quitting smoking.tried many times before we discovered a method that actually works.
There are two reasons it is so hard to quit.
1. Addiction to nicotine
2. habit

First step change to a lower nicotine brand, I know it's difficult just like changing from your favorite beer to a lite beer ( you will get used to it)
continue smoking these "lite" cigarettes until you no longer desire your old brand. when you are comfortable with your "new" brand now comes the difficult part, breaking the habit.
You have not yet quit smoking but you are almost halfway to quitting, you have cut your nicotine addiction in half.

Second step is to break the habit smoke, the one after meals, after sex, while drinking.Since your need for nicotine is reduced it is much easier to pass up a habit smoke every once in a while.

I guarantee this system works but if you can't switch to a low nicotine brand then you are just a hopeless lifetime smoker.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 PM

265 posts, read 596,835 times
you can try chewing gum Extra has some awesome new flavors out now Strawberry Banana and Island Cooler they are delicious - i grab a piece instead of a donut lol.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am an expert on quitting smoking.tried many times before we discovered a method that actually works.
There are two reasons it is so hard to quit.
1. Addiction to nicotine
2. habit

First step change to a lower nicotine brand, I know it's difficult just like changing from your favorite beer to a lite beer ( you will get used to it)
continue smoking these "lite" cigarettes until you no longer desire your old brand. when you are comfortable with your "new" brand now comes the difficult part, breaking the habit.
You have not yet quit smoking but you are almost halfway to quitting, you have cut your nicotine addiction in half.

Second step is to break the habit smoke, the one after meals, after sex, while drinking.Since your need for nicotine is reduced it is much easier to pass up a habit smoke every once in a while.

I guarantee this system works but if you can't switch to a low nicotine brand then you are just a hopeless lifetime smoker.
good ideas and it will easier for me, Im married for along time so we dont have sex and I dont drink. I do have sex with myself but no interest in a cigarette after it. This is a joke Marilyn thanks too!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
I see you have the same name as my idol, guatarist Steve Morse, best in the world. Good luck with the ciggie withdrawls. I hope its better by now.

Greets from Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when do the withdrawl symptoms end. Its utter hell, the physical withdrawl is bad. I had to actually put on 2 patches. This is a real battle. Coke, food, booze is easy. I have never had such bad withdrawl symptoms, Im in sheer hell. WHen does it get better?????

Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,101,418 times
I hope the quitting worked out for you. They say that for many people, cigarettes can be as addictive as heroin.

As for me, I respect any one who quits; doubt I ever will though - I enjoy it too much. A pack of Marlboro 27's are all I need to get me through the day, no more, no less.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I hope the quitting worked out for you. They say that for many people, cigarettes can be as addictive as heroin.

As for me, I respect any one who quits; doubt I ever will though - I enjoy it too much. A pack of Marlboro 27's are all I need to get me through the day, no more, no less.
well quitting has been a tough road for me. I quit crack, coke, booze, food junk food should say and exercise heavy 6 days a week. I am however having great problems with the cigarettes. I quit 4th of July, then mom died in the middle of August, it did not hit me right away. Around Novemeber the Holidays I felt a longing and picked up the habit /addiction again. I need to quit and do it all over again. I am very disappointed in myself and to top that off still lying to my father so when I go see him I put the patch on and dont smoke that day. I can do it with the patch, I just need to get the guts to put it on full time. I hate myself for going back and I panic everyday about these damn things. I need cigarette rehab or JAIL!!! Help!!!!!Im weak!!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaney022 View Post
I see you have the same name as my idol, guatarist Steve Morse, best in the world. Good luck with the ciggie withdrawls. I hope its better by now.

Greets from Melbourne, Australia
If I could be him my life would be made. Nope struggling with addiction!! I love SM!!! I went back to smoking and getting the courage to quit again. Marilyn

Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 AM

2,185 posts, read 3,899,205 times
what about E Cigs? Is that really the same as smoking?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM

218 posts, read 681,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well quitting has been a tough road for me. I quit crack, coke, booze, food junk food should say and exercise heavy 6 days a week. I am however having great problems with the cigarettes. I quit 4th of July, then mom died in the middle of August, it did not hit me right away. Around Novemeber the Holidays I felt a longing and picked up the habit /addiction again. I need to quit and do it all over again. I am very disappointed in myself and to top that off still lying to my father so when I go see him I put the patch on and dont smoke that day. I can do it with the patch, I just need to get the guts to put it on full time. I hate myself for going back and I panic everyday about these damn things. I need cigarette rehab or JAIL!!! Help!!!!!Im weak!!
If you can quit for a day, you can quit for good. I believe the statistic is something like three tries before most smokers actually quit for good. The first time I quit, I went cold turkey and about six months later I experienced some major stress and started up again. I felt really guilty about it at first but continued smoking anyway.

A few years ago, I quit again. I did two things differently, I used nicotine gum and I didn't toss (or finish off) my last pack. I carried nicotine gum and two cigs around with me for months. Every time I reached for a smoke, I had to make the choice to quit all over again. That's part of what made the gum more effective than a patch for me, it was enough to take the edge off my craving but more than that, it gave me something (ritual) to replace the cigarette with when I was experiencing a craving. Odd as it sounds, I think I'd be smoking now if I hadn't carried those two cigs around for so long. Making the choice not to smoke when I had cigs available reinfoced the quitting for me. Also, having smokes there was actually less tempting than a craving that escalated to the point where I was willing to run out and buy a pack.

One of my co-workers quit without any nicotine aids but she took years to really kick the habit. She quit and when the cravings got unbearable, she'd buy a pack and smoke (chain smoke) till she felt better and throw the pack away. It was an expensive way to quit but it worked for her and each time she could go longer and longer between buying a pack and smoking fewer (eventually just a drag or two) when she did buy some.

You can do this. You've actually done the hardest part already! Quitting sucks, in fact, knowing I'd have to go through that again is the best motivation I've got for never smoking again! Take a deep breath, put your patch on and quit again. This time will be easier than the last and every day you don't smoke will make it easier to not smoke the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health