U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM

5,688 posts, read 12,728,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Marilyn, sending you lots of cyber hugs...

I tried to quit the beginning of 2009 - chantix cost over $300
I was doing pretty good but still smoking a few a day when the script was done. Couldn't afford another $300; so needless to say, I'm smoking.
I rarely smoke a whole cigarette at once.

You have to want to quit.
Everything has to be right for you to quit as well.

You'll have to let me know how your mom is doing.
Tomorrow would have been my dad's birthday..
Roselvr: WOW when did Chantix go up so much? It was $129 for 30 days at Costco when I quit. I only took full dosage for 5 weeks then reduced to half and at nine weeks stopped the meds. You are absolutely right about you have to want to quit. That's the first step. The second step is to live by NOPE (not one puff ever).

I hated being so dependent on the stupid cigarettes and the cost became ridiculous. If I can quit, anyone can quit.

I still love the smell of second-hand smoke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM

5,618 posts, read 13,321,257 times
well I have had all sorts of physical withdrawl, weird but pains in my side. Its so weird to feel so many aches and pains. Unbelievable, this drug is bad. I will be not smoking, I made it this far (2 days) and each day will be better than the last. I tell you , I am lucky I did this now. I dont think I could have done it if smoked another 10 years. I will try and sleep tonight, last night was total insomnia. This sucks.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:28 PM

You CAN do it!!!!! Take it an hour at a time!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,422,943 times
Keep busy to help keep from thinking about it. I quit by making clay beads for three days. The folks who say cigarettes are harder to quit than drugs like Cocaine are right. I quit cigs when I was 19, I quit cocaine when I was 40 and now I'm 57 and haven't touched alcohol in about 6 weeks now with no cravings whatsoever. Cigarettes were by far the hardest to quit. Good luck to all who are trying to improve their health.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM

8,897 posts, read 20,009,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
hard day for you tommorrow. My mom is real bad, her liver is going, she is bright yellow they are hoping its the chemo but she does not have long. I see the cancer and this is another reason to stop this crap.
You know where to find me if you need to talk/let it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4littleones View Post
I was getting repulsed with myself when I smoked, it was just such a vicious habit. Add in the nasty price increase, and I realized that one pack was equal to two gallons of milk for my children, or a steak that would feed five of us. I let myself run out of cigarettes, and refused to buy another pack.
Glad you're doing well.
I go outside to smoke, we don't smoke inside..
the neighbors must think that all I do is smoke because they drive by when I'm outside. I always seem to have one in my hands or just taking a drag when they drive by.

I did want to quit when I tried, some days I still do, others not so much.
Have to psych myself up again.

Disgusting how much they cost. I don't know how kids these days afford them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Roselvr: WOW when did Chantix go up so much? It was $129 for 30 days at Costco when I quit.
It depends on which script you get. My hubby's was the dose pack, about the same price, mine was an actual pill bottle; not sure how many pills were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I still love the smell of second-hand smoke!
Never liked the smell of 2nd hand smoke.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

thanks, I am having tons of pains. Its so strange. I have now cleared day 2 and tommorrow will be alittle better than today.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 PM

15,708 posts, read 10,807,665 times
Default now imagine

imagine how you would feel with emphyzema or lung cancer.....if you don't have lucky genes. Bet you would trade one for the other in a second.

Hard to stop ciggys. Saw my dad try and boy did he get mad if you bugged him about quitting. A bleeding ulcer made him stop cold turkey.

Keep in mind that nicotine constricts blood vessels. Its good to have a lot of blood flowing everywhere it should, when it should. Of course the younger you are the more forgiving the lack of blood flow is but when you get older every drop counts. Your choice.

Good luck!!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 AM

Day three!!!! I am sort of feeling more normal.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Day three!!!! I am sort of feeling more normal.
You're doing great! Three days!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM

thanks yes I am now totally addiction free. This was the last one to go, and the hardest so far. I am not wearing a nictotine patch today. I have the gum so if I feel I need a dose I will grab that. I actually am coming out of the pain and fog. Its coming in small waves but nothing like the first and second day.

This was a hard one. I am not smoking, if I have to chew twenty packs of lifesavers, eat myself into oblivion, run around the block or just plain yell at my loved ones, I will do it, to beat this!!!
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health