U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:34 AM

19,891 posts, read 15,708,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks yes I am now totally addiction free. This was the last one to go, and the hardest so far. I am not wearing a nictotine patch today. I have the gum so if I feel I need a dose I will grab that. I actually am coming out of the pain and fog. Its coming in small waves but nothing like the first and second day.

This was a hard one. I am not smoking, if I have to chew twenty packs of lifesavers, eat myself into oblivion, run around the block or just plain yell at my loved ones, I will do it, to beat this!!!
Thanks
Congratulations! Keep it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM

1,747 posts, read 4,807,507 times
Good for you. I took up exercise when I quit to deal with all the anger that was exploding from inside of me. It helped me stick with it in the long run.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM

72 posts, read 275,711 times
I feel your pain! DH (then boyfriend) and I smoked our last cigarettes April 26, 1996. We both smoked for over 10 years. Neither one of us has had a cigarette since. I was smoking a pack and a half a day and DH was up to two packs. I remember crying a lot the first couple of days - it was just awful. Nicorette gum helped us - I don't even know if they make it anymore. Just wait until you get your sense of smell back - it's amazing. Good luck! Stay strong - you can do it!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 PM

5,618 posts, read 13,338,820 times
Ok the physical withdrawl is now winding down, I have no aids (nicotine aids) so this is good. Now I have deal with the mental. I felt disappointed when I had to drive in the car. I felt disappointed after I ate lunch. Its funny how my life was so time segmented by these damn things. Ok well at least the physical is almost done!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,074,437 times
I was a chain smoker for about 40 years, which means I was going through 3 packs a day easily.
I smoked with a patch on both arms.
I tried Chantix about 3 different times, I have been smoke free since New Year's Eve.
If Chantix as someone mentioned is to expensive there is another drug on the market that you can get the gernaric brand instead of the name brand it starts with a B, I tried that several times also, I felt that it was just as good as Chantix at stopping the urge, guess I was just not really ready to quit at that time it seems.
I still get the urge to light up now and then, but the urge usually fades pretty fast.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 6,884,098 times
Another hurdle is hanging with friends that still smoke and you're having some adult beverages .....but you can work thru that too....
yes .you continue to "think" about it every now and then for quite some time...but that too eventually passes

Reward yourself...surf & turf for 2 at the two week mark ??

I started buying an album a week with the money I saved...I luv music

later I decided to get back to the track/cross country level of fitness and bought myself a road bike and started riding to work (15 miles each way)

What you do isn't important...going for the goal is what counts

Good luck...IMHO you're over the crest of it

you're doin it !!!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM

5,618 posts, read 13,338,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I was a chain smoker for about 40 years, which means I was going through 3 packs a day easily.
I smoked with a patch on both arms.
I tried Chantix about 3 different times, I have been smoke free since New Year's Eve.
If Chantix as someone mentioned is to expensive there is another drug on the market that you can get the gernaric brand instead of the name brand it starts with a B, I tried that several times also, I felt that it was just as good as Chantix at stopping the urge, guess I was just not really ready to quit at that time it seems.
I still get the urge to light up now and then, but the urge usually fades pretty fast.
that is a great story, however I am on day 3 and day 3 is coming to a close! I made it today with no patches or gum so that good. I am just dealing now with the loss. Loss after a meal, in the car you know the drill. I will deal with it. Its great that you quit. However 2 patches on both arms and still smoking, you had it bad! If you can do it , I can do it!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm pulling for you Steve

Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 PM

I also tried the gum, I was even hypnotized once to quit smoking, it didn't work.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM

3,445 posts, read 7,617,009 times
And after you quit - do not even have ONE cigarette - not even a puff - it will put you back on the path to smoking. It is the worst drug out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health