U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,687,932 times

Advertisements

The mental is the hardest.

List the things you did commonly before or after having a ciggie. Some things (like nidge-nudge wink-wink) will not be able to be avoided, but you may want to stop going to bars with friends that smoke (or in general) or other things you did while smoking heavily.

Also, be concious of all the little things in your life. Do you still ride with the car window cracked open? Do you point at people with two fingers (as if holding a cig)? Do you still carry a lighter?

Try to break all these little things, you will be surprised what your subconcious can do when it is activated by these passive triggers. You will crave one because something reminded you of it.

Also, if you want some encouragement, you can always go and clean all the ashtrays (in the car) and things like the roof of the car or any other area that might still have the smell in it. It won't be appetizing, but you may be able to get a bit of seperation if nothing you own smells like ciggies anymore (you may also want to air out your clothes. The smell will either make you jones for one, or gross you out. Either way, pardon the pun, stinks.)

As for the physical? I think you are doing great with the exercise. I gather you are a woman by some of the other posters (?). If so, I am GUESSING that most of your exercising is cardio. Try a bit of weights to change things up, get the addrenaline running, and give your body something it is probably not used to yet. I know a few sets of teeh grinding curls or bench press makes me feel better when I am feeling sick. YMMV, but it is always good to try something different to get your body to stop paying attension to something it misses.

After seeing my Great-aunt (big enough to knock doors off hinges) wheel around O2 tanks for years, and other members of family coughing up tar (or having loved ones die), I really REALLY emplore you to stick with it.

And, like others have said, RJ Reynolds and the rest have been researching for YEARS on how to make their stuff the most potent and addictive substance legally available on the planet. Do NOT succumb to the temptation of "just one puff". You know as well as the rest of us that no one has ever been able to do that.

GL! Stick with it! (Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT supplant your urges with eating. Many a friend has put on that quitters (20) after doing just that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

22,620 posts, read 28,486,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
yes I will be smelling like a rose!

I just read back on the first day and this 4 th day is a breeze compared to what I just went back and read. So once you clear the first two days it got alot easier. NOw its all mind games.
if you have a real big urge that you cant fight just smoke some crack instead. i dont think ive ever smelled crack on a person but its probably more pleasant than cigarettes.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,687,932 times
Quote:
well I am big on working out and heavy!! I lift like a maniac, and do a little cardio mostly heavy weights but I have not gained any weight yet. However my stomach is so upset and sour that I really cant eat too much. This quitting has thrown my whole body out of wack.

For example, chest pains, sour throat , tons of weird aches and pains, cough, tightness in chest, weird stomach aches, heartburn and headache. SOund like fun huh, the good news is it comes in waves , its managable, and you wont gain weight yet at the point because you feel to crappy to eat.

Listen I would not worry about a few lbs of weight. Thats sort of crazy, I mean most people who gain weight smoking eventually take it off. I think 5 lbs is no big deal , look at your other option LUNG CANCER, most smokers 87percent GET ALL THE CASES OF LUNG CANCER. So listen dont eat like a slob, watch the scale , quit smoking and work out. You will be fine. If I can do it, anyone can.

Oops.

Well, if you are "steve" and not "Marilyn" then maybe you should do the OPPOSITE of what I said. If you ARE doing heavy wights, try burn out sets and more cardio. Your body needs a CHANGE. Doing the same thing may not be enough.

And I have not seen the tea suggestion, but if it is saying replace things liek Coffee, if you can, with tea, that might help too (coffee is a strong link, mentally, to ciggs). You may want to just try black tea if you still want the caffene......

Again, GL!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 PM

1,972 posts, read 4,812,820 times
Aaaahhh...the sweet sensation of nicotine running through the veins like the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. The feeling on your fingers, trembling in search for that familiar sensation of a cigarrette, the lips quevering in anticipation of the motion of hand to mouth only to be left with the images in your head of past erotic moments that ended w/ that filthy smell of smoke & sex. Yeah...I need a cigarette.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM

cardio is only good for building stamina and heart health. for physical appearance its nothing compared to diet and lifting heavy.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM

12,917 posts, read 24,014,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you have a real big urge that you cant fight just smoke some crack instead. i dont think ive ever smelled crack on a person but its probably more pleasant than cigarettes.
Rude & insensitive as Marilyn has openly admitted to using crack at one time & beating it

Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Rude & insensitive as Marilyn has openly admitted to using crack at one time & beating it
sorry mom.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 PM

86 posts, read 193,950 times
Quote:
why the next 9 days? Off to the army??
Haha to the Army. NO! Are you kidding me? I am the BIGGEST wuss when it comes to people yelling in my face. Id probably go awol.

ANYWHO no I got a new job in Florida as a Personal Assistant. Great position, but its live in my employer doesnt smoke or approve of it.
So I must I must quit. (Hes not aware that I have a need to quit...)

Great tips on the tea, Im a big fan of iced green tea in the summer and also take the extract they sell at the Vitamin shoppe.

Good luck Steve and Marilyn! Sounds like you are doing well...

So Im going to savor my last few before heading out to buy the patches...eesh.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,372,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
The mental is the hardest.

List the things you did commonly before or after having a ciggie. Some things (like nidge-nudge wink-wink) will not be able to be avoided, but you may want to stop going to bars with friends that smoke (or in general) or other things you did while smoking heavily.

Also, be concious of all the little things in your life. Do you still ride with the car window cracked open? Do you point at people with two fingers (as if holding a cig)? Do you still carry a lighter?

Try to break all these little things, you will be surprised what your subconcious can do when it is activated by these passive triggers. You will crave one because something reminded you of it.

Also, if you want some encouragement, you can always go and clean all the ashtrays (in the car) and things like the roof of the car or any other area that might still have the smell in it. It won't be appetizing, but you may be able to get a bit of seperation if nothing you own smells like ciggies anymore (you may also want to air out your clothes. The smell will either make you jones for one, or gross you out. Either way, pardon the pun, stinks.)

As for the physical? I think you are doing great with the exercise. I gather you are a woman by some of the other posters (?). If so, I am GUESSING that most of your exercising is cardio. Try a bit of weights to change things up, get the addrenaline running, and give your body something it is probably not used to yet. I know a few sets of teeh grinding curls or bench press makes me feel better when I am feeling sick. YMMV, but it is always good to try something different to get your body to stop paying attension to something it misses.

After seeing my Great-aunt (big enough to knock doors off hinges) wheel around O2 tanks for years, and other members of family coughing up tar (or having loved ones die), I really REALLY emplore you to stick with it.

And, like others have said, RJ Reynolds and the rest have been researching for YEARS on how to make their stuff the most potent and addictive substance legally available on the planet. Do NOT succumb to the temptation of "just one puff". You know as well as the rest of us that no one has ever been able to do that.

GL! Stick with it! (Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT supplant your urges with eating. Many a friend has put on that quitters (20) after doing just that.)

thank you for such an encouraging and great post!! I am a women however my passion is weight lifting, so by changing it up I will do cardio!! I probably have muscles as big as you!! I have been lifting on and off for years. Thanks for a great post.

by the way TO ALL PEOPLE WHO WANT TO QUIT A GREAT BOOK : the easy way to stop smoking by allen carr! This is a must read!! Not your typical quit smoking book. A big help to me.

thanks marilyn

Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,372,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
Haha to the Army. NO! Are you kidding me? I am the BIGGEST wuss when it comes to people yelling in my face. Id probably go awol.

ANYWHO no I got a new job in Florida as a Personal Assistant. Great position, but its live in my employer doesnt smoke or approve of it.
So I must I must quit. (Hes not aware that I have a need to quit...)

Great tips on the tea, Im a big fan of iced green tea in the summer and also take the extract they sell at the Vitamin shoppe.

Good luck Steve and Marilyn! Sounds like you are doing well...

So Im going to savor my last few before heading out to buy the patches...eesh.
get the book by Allen Carr, THe EAsy Way to stop smoking. Its worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health