Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 AM

9,295 posts, read 16,578,906 times

Advertisements

I spent a lot of time reorganizing closets, cabinets, garage, etc. I also chewed sugarless gum. Keep moving, keep busy. Sometimes it is more of a hobby than a hand to mouth behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,056,257 times
After 48 hours, most of the pain of withdrawal is completely mental.
There are incredible associations and habits formed around smoking that make it harder to break. Rituals, etc. That is in your head, but it's pretty hard-wired.
You are going to have to make new rituals.
Don't forget to reward yourself (but not by overindulging in something else bad for you).

And good for you.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,683,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when do the withdrawl symptoms end. Its utter hell, the physical withdrawl is bad. I had to actually put on 2 patches. This is a real battle. Coke, food, booze is easy. I have never had such bad withdrawl symptoms, Im in sheer hell. WHen does it get better?????
3 days. The patch worked for me. Smoked 2 packs Marlboro red/day quit 11 years ago this August. After about 1 month pretty much all cravings went away.. Still smoke the occasional cigar.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks I can use all the tips!! Well I am now at 24 hours and lets say it was utter and is sheer hell. I am in really bad withdrawl physical and I do feel a tab bit better than yesterday. I cant believe how addicted physically I am and was. I am not going to smoke, I am on the patch and as sad as it is , I still had bad withdrawl. I have had a two pack a day habit for along time. This crap is really really addicting. Yesterday I was really out of my mind. I could not focus on anything but utter pain and agony. I cant believe how hooked I was. Cocaine is no were near as bad as this for quitting. Coke and crack no way this is ten times harded. This is the biggest conflict I have had to hurdle. I can not even deal with the mental issues right now due to dealing with the physical. Sleep was hard, everything right now is hard.

24 hours smoke free. I will be stepping down to the lower patch soon too. I am not going back this is too damn miserable to go thru again. Thanks and all ideas are welcome.
Marilyn, sending you lots of cyber hugs...

I tried to quit the beginning of 2009 - chantix cost over $300
I was doing pretty good but still smoking a few a day when the script was done. Couldn't afford another $300; so needless to say, I'm smoking.
I rarely smoke a whole cigarette at once.

You have to want to quit.
Everything has to be right for you to quit as well.

You'll have to let me know how your mom is doing.
Tomorrow would have been my dad's birthday..

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
After 48 hours, most of the pain of withdrawal is completely mental.
There are incredible associations and habits formed around smoking that make it harder to break. Rituals, etc. That is in your head, but it's pretty hard-wired.
I couldn't agree more. When I quit a 2-pack/day habit 4 years ago, it wasn't the physical symptoms that were the tough ones to overcome- it was the mental habits- like going outside for a cigarette right upon waking, or lighting up as soon as I got in the car. Even months after quitting, I still sometimes found myself reaching for the lighter when I got in the car, or walking to the back door to go outside when I woke up- it was just ingrained habit.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,469,244 times
thanks, great tips. Well I managed to make it out the door and live somewhat of a normal day. I am totally a mess right now. Chest pains and shakes real bad. This is horrible. I wont pick this up again, its too damn painful to re do this over again. This is just plain hell. And my mind is totally in a fog. I am more worried about the physical then the mental for some reason. I hope I dont underestimate the mental. Its just I feel so terrible right now thats all I can think past. I did get all the heavy duty armory, gum, livesavers, nicotette gum so I am now on day 2. They say day three actually is the real detox day.

What a terrible addiction I have here and to be honest I have to do it. I am killing myself and tired of it. I exercise , lift weights, cleaned everything up but this. This has got to go. I have waves of feeling ok, then crappy. I did not think or forgot how terrible withdrawl is. This is one crappy drug and if I dont do it now, its never gonna happen . I have accepted that they have to go I know I cant go back. I will be dead if I go back and I was a heavy smoker.

Thanks all I am going to space out now.

Last edited by stevemorse; 07-06-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Marilyn, sending you lots of cyber hugs...

I tried to quit the beginning of 2009 - chantix cost over $300
I was doing pretty good but still smoking a few a day when the script was done. Couldn't afford another $300; so needless to say, I'm smoking.
I rarely smoke a whole cigarette at once.

You have to want to quit.
Everything has to be right for you to quit as well.

You'll have to let me know how your mom is doing.
Tomorrow would have been my dad's birthday..
hard day for you tommorrow. My mom is real bad, her liver is going, she is bright yellow they are hoping its the chemo but she does not have long. I see the cancer and this is another reason to stop this crap.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM

41 posts, read 150,257 times
(((BIG HUG))) to all.

I quit smoking on June 1st of this year (only a little over a month ago). I was getting repulsed with myself when I smoked, it was just such a vicious habit. Add in the nasty price increase, and I realized that one pack was equal to two gallons of milk for my children, or a steak that would feed five of us. I let myself run out of cigarettes, and refused to buy another pack. The first three days were the worst, and day two was worse than day one. Now I'm a month quit, and still find myself occasionally craving the behavior habit part (you know, after dinner, with coffee in the morning, while drinking a beer or glass of wine, etc.). I have not touched so much as one cigarette, even though I've been sitting right next to people who were smoking. Now my fiance is quitting, and he wound up sick as a dog this past weekend (4th of July). He had headaches, nausea, intestinal distress, etc. He smoked 2 packs a day for God only knows how long.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4littleones View Post
(((BIG HUG))) to all.

I quit smoking on June 1st of this year (only a little over a month ago). I was getting repulsed with myself when I smoked, it was just such a vicious habit. Add in the nasty price increase, and I realized that one pack was equal to two gallons of milk for my children, or a steak that would feed five of us. I let myself run out of cigarettes, and refused to buy another pack. The first three days were the worst, and day two was worse than day one. Now I'm a month quit, and still find myself occasionally craving the behavior habit part (you know, after dinner, with coffee in the morning, while drinking a beer or glass of wine, etc.). I have not touched so much as one cigarette, even though I've been sitting right next to people who were smoking. Now my fiance is quitting, and he wound up sick as a dog this past weekend (4th of July). He had headaches, nausea, intestinal distress, etc. He smoked 2 packs a day for God only knows how long.
thanks for the story. Well Im there with the boyfriend. I feel so bad that I cant even eat. This is terrible.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:51 PM

730 posts, read 2,879,696 times
I also quit last week. Most all of my friends that were smokers have now quit. My husband quit well over a year ago and now it's my time. I actually smoked for more than 1/2 my life but was never a really heavy smoker. I found the gum to work the best for me. I use it to control the cravings I get in the morning and then again at night. Good luck to you SteveMorse!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health