Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times

Advertisements

Steve, know how you are feeling. I am 19 days out now and it is starting to get a bit better. Still have the gas and bloating but my brain fog has gotten alot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Steve, know how you are feeling. I am 19 days out now and it is starting to get a bit better. Still have the gas and bloating but my brain fog has gotten alot better.
YES what up with that bloating and gas. I was also constipated. This is great right!! Sick, gas, bloat, brain fog, heartburn, headache, wow sounds great !!! But the bloating was bad.

I do exercise, I have been exercising for years. It was like a defense mechanism, well I smoke so at least I exercise. You get the point.

I am feeling on this almost 7th day a little better today. Yesterday was bad, so I guess its gonna be up and down.

Thanks all who have chimed in. I will PM you Pam and I will hit this group up when I feel bad again.

I am just so out of wack!

Now as far as gaining weight, does everyone gain weight????

Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Hey steve! Maybe you should talk to your doctor and see what s/he recommends. I think most of this is simply anxiety, so there's possibly some alternatives for you during this time. Get ready to gain some weight when you're feeling better!!

Have you tried exercising? If you're able, go for a run or walk or anything to relieve some of that stress that goes along with quitting.
how much weight????

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Most people gain weight, yes. Why?

1. Your heart rate and metabolism slow down so you burn less calories all day long. (about 200 calories per pack a day smoked)
2. Your blood sugars get low as Nicotine was releasing it into your blood stream every time you smoked so your appetite increases.
3. You are now bored and want to fill in the void of putting something into your mouth several dozens of times a day so you snack more.
4. Your taste buds and smell improve so food smells and tastes a lot better!
5. You find a new meal terminator and have a snack after a meal, where as before you went out for a smoke!

You can offset some of this by eating healthier, excercising more and being aware of whats happening.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times
I'm sure everyone is different on the weight gain and I was 53 so I had other things going on that could have helped (well, not helped, but contributed!). I've gain about 25 lbs. since my smoking days. My husband didn't gain any, or if he did, it was minor -- 5 to 10 lbs. My weight may go down 8 - 10 lbs. but then it comes back up when I'm not as active. Just can't seem to lose it where it stays lost.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM

this really sucks. Not only do you feel crappy, you get fat! This sucks! THis sucks. What are the benefits of not smoking? Right now I dont see them?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
this really sucks. Not only do you feel crappy, you get fat! This sucks! THis sucks. What are the benefits of not smoking? Right now I dont see them?
you don't have to get fat.
you might gain a few pounds 'cause the metabolism does slow but regular exercise increases the metabolism.
my dad quit when he was 52, starting riding a bike and lost weight.
he's 80 and hasn't smoked since.
just don't trade in one habit for another, ie; don't compensate with food, get regular exercise and even take steps to improve your diet.
the benefits of not smoking are clean, clear lungs which i wish i could say i had but i am still hooked .... i don't smoke a lot but it's still a monkey on my back.
stick with it.
do some intense workouts to detox thru your skin .... sweat!
yogi tea company make a tea called "detox" which will facilitate the detox process.
ginger and ginger tea helps to settle the stomach although it is not an antacid.
drink lots and lots of water.
focus on your breathing and do a lot of it ... deeply.
stay present with the process even though it's so difficult and seems futile.
good luck.
congratulations.
my turn.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when will it go away. Its been almost 6 days. Symptoms are heartburn, aches and pain, bloating, gas, cant eat, brain fog and headache. When will this end!!!!!

You will feel bad for awhile.
But the longer you hold out, the better it will get.
Because eventually, the cravings go away, but you have to hold out for that, and that is where so many fail.

Figure it this way, if you have come this far, don't go back and smoke. You have gone half way into the tunnel, don't make all you have gone through be in vain. It will be worth it.

Hang in there, go to a movie, go for walks, play music.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Read this if you want to understand more

Joel's Library - Nicotine Withdrawal & Blood Sugar

Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

97 posts, read 275,162 times
Hi Steve - I know what your going through. It's tough for sure but I PROMISS it does get better. Everyone is different. For me it was the first 2 weeks. Hell weeks are more the term. You got to just push yourself through it and YOU CAN!!! It's a detox process right now.

I never thought I would make it through but I did. It will be 3 years for me next month after smoking 1.5 packs a day.

Just keep going and when a urge hits, take a really deep breath, then blow out slowly. It helps.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health