Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:42 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when will it go away. Its been almost 6 days. Symptoms are heartburn, aches and pain, bloating, gas, cant eat, brain fog and headache. When will this end!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
If you need something to do to help curb the craving of lighting up do some nice late night reading here...

www.whyquit.com
thanks for this great site. I am reading it, 2 weeks now no butts!!! Ok, George Harrison on that web site, ummm he was my favorite beatle, I did not know he was a smoker. Sad, lost a lot of good ones too young. Thanks your great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
How are you feeling Marilyn?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times
Still no smokey?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
I was looking for some inspiration on here for quitting smoking and this thread has been real helpful! I had quit before a year ago after reading The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and was successfull until I recently started again. I let my brother borrow the book and he lives out of state so I don't have the book to reference back to. I think somewhere in the book it had said under no circumstances, do not lend the book to someone?? I could be wrong but it was a crucial tool for helping me quit last time. I guess I will have to pick up another copy! Today is day #4 being smoke free....hoping I can finally kick this awful addiction even in the midst of a stressful time after losing my job. There will be stressful times though all through life so I guess if I can do it now, then I will be able to handle many situations without my "crutch"!

stevemorse- how is your progress coming along??? Have not seen any new posts on here....

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 08-21-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when will it go away. Its been almost 6 days. Symptoms are heartburn, aches and pain, bloating, gas, cant eat, brain fog and headache. When will this end!!!!!
I broke the habit by jogging 3 to 4 times per week. At the end of each jog, I would not crave a cigarrette for hours.

The longer I jogged, the longer it would take for me to crave a smoke. After 3 months of this I was able quit without any major withdrawl symptoms.

Try it!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I was looking for some inspiration on here for quitting smoking and this thread has been real helpful! I had quit before a year ago after reading The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and was successfull until I recently started again. I let my brother borrow the book and he lives out of state so I don't have the book to reference back to. I think somewhere in the book it had said under no circumstances, do not lend the book to someone?? I could be wrong but it was a crucial tool for helping me quit last time. I guess I will have to pick up another copy! Today is day #4 being smoke free....hoping I can finally kick this awful addiction even in the midst of a stressful time after losing my job. There will be stressful times though all through life so I guess if I can do it now, then I will be able to handle many situations without my "crutch"!

stevemorse- how is your progress coming along??? Have not seen any new posts on here....
There is a PDF of this book online, do a search, or goto quitsmokingmessageboard.com and look it up there.

I had my ex read that book and it did not help her at all. But I do hear it has helped a lot. Getting mad, and reading up on this senseless addiction is the best way to go though! Goto whyquit.com and do just that...

Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Keep it up! I remember feeling horrible for at least 3 weeks. I was so tired and one day just started crying and couldn't stop. I think it was all the guck working its way out of my system. Three things helped me: 1) I took a McDonald's straw and cut it down to the size of a cigarette. It had the right feel and weight of a cigarette plus I could inhale air through it and exhale. I carried one around for a long time and would have a few "puffs" when the cravings were bad. 2) rather than trying not to think of smoking whenever the thought of it crossed my mind I used that as an opportunity to retrain my thoughts. I would say to myself: "I am GLAD I am not a smoker. I am proud of myself for quitting smoking." This was a lot easier for me than trying to not think about smoking when it was all I thought about. 3) Orange juice. For some reason, a glass of OJ helped the cravings. Good Luck. I know you can do it!

Last edited by Sandhillian; 08-21-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
2) rather than trying not to think of smoking whenever the thought of it crossed my mind I used that as an opportunity to retrain my thoughts. I would say to myself: "I am GLAD I am not a smoker. I am proud of myself for quitting smoking." This was a lot easier for me than trying to not think about smoking when it was all I thought about.
This is the mindset I am trying to keep....it has worked so far. I always felt embarrassed for being a smoker to be honest. Most of my friends do not smoke and the ones that did, quit. It made me feel like an outsider when we would go out and I went outside to have a smoke. I felt like I had some sort of disability, which I guess being chemically dependent on a substance is a disability to a degree. I know that I will feel so much better about myself if I can finally kick this and concentrate on that instead of the instant gratification that the ciggs give you.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
not feeding an addiction does not make you feel good. it just makes you aware of your need for what you are not getting.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Give it time...when you think about how long you smoked, it takes time to de-tox.

I promise you, the day is coming when you'll wake up with no morning cough, no fuzzy tongue coated with brown gunk and your lungs will be able to pull in big gulps of fresh air and your clothes and hair and abode and car won't stink of stale smoke...and you'll be amazed that you're going can go whole days, weeks, even, without once thinking about polluting your lungs with a cigarette...and you'll be so darn proud of yourself for giving yourself the gift of life.

I promise you, that day is just around the corner...keep up the good fight. You can do this.

Drink lots of fresh water and take some vitamin C and eat fresh foods with lots of fruits and vegetables. Be very kind to yourself right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health