Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:27 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

I have a prescription for Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. My question is, how does the plan go? Do you start taking the wellbutrin for a certain amount of time before your actual "quit date", to get it in your system? I know I should have gotten details from my doc but I didn't.

I am planning on using the Wellbutrin plus the nicotine patch simultaneously. I just want a good "plan of attack" this time.

I also wonder about the wisdom of "cutting down" before the quit date. Some people have said this works for them. I have never tried it. I've always just gone cold turkey, or just used the patch without cutting down first, that sort of thing. (I've quite several times now, once for 3 years!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
You can also contact your pharmasist or doctor for correct information.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,770 times
I can only speak for Zyban... my husband tried that last summer.

He kept his smoking hidden until about Xmas time, I don't know how long he had been smoking since the Zyban.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I have a prescription for Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. My question is, how does the plan go? Do you start taking the wellbutrin for a certain amount of time before your actual "quit date", to get it in your system? I know I should have gotten details from my doc but I didn't.

I am planning on using the Wellbutrin plus the nicotine patch simultaneously. I just want a good "plan of attack" this time.

I also wonder about the wisdom of "cutting down" before the quit date. Some people have said this works for them. I have never tried it. I've always just gone cold turkey, or just used the patch without cutting down first, that sort of thing. (I've quite several times now, once for 3 years!)
First off Zyban is Welbutrin.

Pretty amazing how careless and impersonal your doctor can be to not even talk to you in dept about such a serious matter huh. My ex has this same thing happen to her. "Oh here Chantix didn't work for you, so try Welbutrin!" Here is the script. Have a nice day!"

No guiadance, no paperwork or even a pamphlet. You are on your own. When she picked up the meds they gave her paperwork for Depression.

Yes I would call and demand you speak to your Doctor and have them take a measly 20 min out of their busy schedule to help their patient understand what they are doing with this head med!

But to help answer your question, it is supposed to take some of the cravings away, and you are supposed to quit after a week or so of taking the meds. But everyone I know, even my ex, it did not work too well. You have to really want to quit, and if that is the case, you don't need anything but determination!

Good luck.

I would goto WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource and do some reading if you are serious.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM

264 posts, read 819,550 times
please note that the use of wellbutrin (aka zyban, aka buproprion) together with nicotine replacement products such as the patch can cause high blood pressure.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
I would not use Wellbutrin and the patch together.

I used Wellbutrin to quit...Yes, you take 2 pills for a week before your quit date. Continue to take 2 pills for a week or so. Then wean yourself to one pill and then eventually off them completely.
This is what I remember it to be...or something like this anyway. Contact a pharmacist, they can give you all the info you need.

I took the 2 pills for a week before, quit, took them another couple of days and then stopped taking them completely. It was super easy. My mom did the same. She was a heavy smoker for 45 years and it was simple for her as well. After many many failed attempts to quit.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
I agree with the previous posters that it is just shamefull the way Dr.s will scribble out prescriptions with no explanations or schedules for the proper use of said prescription. That said, I did have very good luck with Wellbutrin as I was able to quit w/in a week. Cigs were just no longer desirable and if I persisted, the taste was foul. I could even be around 3 roomates on the patio while they smoked like chimenys and have no urge whatsoever to pick up a cig. One downside is that it is a strong prescription medicine and you must always remember to check for possible drug/food interactions even with over the counter stuff. Finally, I'd definetly try Wellbutrin/Zyban but STAY AWAY from Chantix. It is dangerous and causes all kinds of emotional changes/wierdness including VIOLENT nightmares. Good luck & take care,...lil red.......

Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 PM

211 posts, read 947,711 times
Did you pick up your rx yet? My friend did zyban and she got a kit with the first rx. I believe she took one pill for a couple of days and then two a day 12 hours apart. She smoked for a week or two on it but did quit successfully and even dropped a little weight.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
Now that I've read from the posters about Wellbrutrin decreases the craving for smoking. I will attest to that - I've been on Wellbrutrin and my craving is almost non-existant (however, I will admit to cheating 2 or 4 a day -- why, I don't know. I think I like the socialbility of a smoke)

Old 08-24-2009, 05:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
The main difference between Wellbutrin and Zyban is the cost. I know the smoking cessation kit a friend used (Zyban) was almost $100.00. My bottle of Wellbutrin was $4.00. I also know there are different wellbutrin drugs. One is a 'time release' formula and another is not...

Do your research...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health