Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 02:02 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,384,045 times

Advertisements

I'll give a brief list of behaviors and things a friend - now an ex-friend - has been saying, starting 6 years ago.

If this meets a check list of a conditions or of a pre-condition I'd be grateful if someone can help identify it.

Details: Some of this may seem very immature and weird....because it is.

He's fallen out with 99% of his close friends in the last 6 years. Actually, 100%.

He's 60 years of age - and we are all late 30s to 60s in age in our social circle.
He's fairly bright and knowledgeable
Has been smoking lots of marijuana daily since his early 20s
He works full-time
Single and the only family member still alive is a brother who lives across the world.

The first bizarre behavior was telling people in our social circle that another mutual friend of ours (whom he didn't like) was spreading rumors about him. The rumor was that he was committing a type of crime. There was no evidence of any kind that our friend was spreading false rumors about him and he never named any people who these "fake rumors" were told to.

He accused 2 other separate friends at different times of being homophobic based on something they said. (He's straight BTW). No evidence of this either and I've known both of these two people for years.

He accused another friend of being a "thief" 4 years after he accidentally took a mobile phone he thought was his at 2 AM and returned it (this friend has his own phone and is high income).

He's made other accusations, such as person X doesn't like people from that country, etc. and actually tells people from that country. They later discussed it and agreed it was a lie or made up.

He accused me of....accusing him of something. Completely false.

Unfriended people on that popular social media site.

He's moved to a new city and has already fallen out with a mutual acquaintance of people in the new city.

Something is definitely wrong with this person and I assume it will get worse. He's persona non grata to everyone but people are non-confrontational and I believe that nobody has ever told him he has a problem. They just cut ties and don't communicate with him and he doesn't care as he's the one who's cut ties with almost everyone first.

Can anyone offer an idea of what his condition may be or what category this person may be in?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 02:45 AM

61,375 posts, read 86,287,266 times
Not sure why you want some Internet strangers to diagnose your ex-friend...
All your listed details are just subjective observation that might or might not be true. You don't live with that person 24/7.
Just stop interacting with him and move on.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure why you want some Internet strangers to diagnose your ex-friend...
All your listed details are just subjective observation that might or might not be true. You don't live with that person 24/7.
Just stop interacting with him and move on.
I hear your point elnina.

I have cut ties as well as everyone else, but I've googled and it's hard to nail down.

Yes, these are subjective observations by me.....and many, many, others.

I'm just curious if anyone has info on this.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:16 AM

272 posts, read 205,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Has been smoking lots of marijuana daily since his early 20s

mutual friend of ours (whom he didn't like) was spreading rumors about him.
He accused 2 other separate friends at different times of being homophobic
He accused another friend of being a "thief"
He's made other accusations, such as person X doesn't like people from that country
He accused me of....accusing him of something.
Unfriended people on that popular social media site.
has already fallen out with a mutual acquaintance of people in the new city.

Can anyone offer an idea of what his condition may be or what category this person may be in?
Paranoid from too much pot? Some sort of personality disorder? I know someone who has NPD and does similar things.

Too difficult to pin down what's going on with this guy, (and I'm not a doctor or counselor!) but I understand why he's an ex-friend.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:24 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I hear your point elnina.

I have cut ties as well as everyone else, but I've googled and it's hard to nail down.

Yes, these are subjective observations by me.....and many, many, others.

I'm just curious if anyone has info on this.
Sometimes, being able to label/pigeonhole a difficult person helps us stop wondering about them (did I do anything to create or contribute to their behavior?). We're able to write out a satisfying "solution" to a difficult equation, put the relationship to rest and walk away.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:58 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,961,430 times
He's 60 yrs old. Perhaps he's dealing with some kind of dementia.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've read all of the responses. Thanks folks. I've cut ties. Couldn't care less. Just interested in what this is.

Sassy,

I'm thinking chronic weed smoking for 40 years has led to paranoid thoughts and that are consistent and yes, the possibility of dementia appearing.

My grandmother had dementia and it started very slowly.....lucid and clear discussions about anything such as world events....and then unbelievable accusations against people for stealing things, or plotting against her. He's been doing the same.....consistently.

And it got worse.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:50 AM

404 posts, read 377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yep. Sounds like the possibility of early onset dementia to me. Delusion and paranoia are some of the early signs.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,216,767 times
He is a pathological liar.
I know quite a few people like that.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:02 PM

^ Yes, he's either lying or actually believing what he is saying.

I think he believes the accustions he's made.....

Hence the possible early stages of Dementia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health