U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 PM

19 posts, read 115,908 times
Default How bad For You Is Nicorette gum?

I havent had a smoke since May 4th doing well, went and got hyptomized this Is about my fourth attempt In 5 or 6 years, but find my self addictted to the gum now. Not consistantant but 10 15 pieces a day(4mg). Im thinking If I kept track problably a little more even. I know should try get off them but keep telling my self and others "Better than smoking" D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
Smoking has two holds on a person.

#1 is Nicotine, which in reality is the easy monkey to get off your back. If you quit, the nicotine cravings will be over in a week to 10 days.

#2 the HABIT of smoking is the monkey that is a real challenge to get off your back. The times and places you smoke will wear you out. I reached for my cigarettes for months after I quit out of habit. I was long over the need for a nicotine fix, but the habit hung on for months and months.

OBTW, I quit cold turkey, 23 years ago, the first time.

Substituting one source of nicotine for a different delivery mechanism just drags the process out, a recipe for failure.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,569,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE800 View Post
I havent had a smoke since May 4th doing well, went and got hyptomized this Is about my fourth attempt In 5 or 6 years, but find my self addictted to the gum now. Not consistantant but 10 15 pieces a day(4mg). Im thinking If I kept track problably a little more even. I know should try get off them but keep telling my self and others "Better than smoking" D
I don't imagine it's good for you but i don't know how bad for you it is.
You could gradually wean yourself off the nicotine gum with a regular (but sugar free) gum.
Of course, then you'll be hooked on chewing gum so then you could ween yourself off the gum by ... hmmmmm, sucking your thumb?
And congratulations on quitting.
I'm still hooked ... i hardly smoke at all but it's still got me.
I just haven't gotten to that place where i'm ready to totally let it go.
Old habits die hard!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, the best thing to do when you're craving (or all the time for that matter) is to breathe ... deep breathing ... to relax ... to oxygenate your body ... to continue the clearing of your lungs ...
So every time you feel the craving, focus on your breath and breathe deeply.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:35 AM

8,424 posts, read 22,827,733 times
I chewed one of these long ago when I was a kid before they had all the fancy flavors..I thought it was just regular gum as I found it just laying on the table and my parents always had gum laying around...It made me throw up and cry.LOL! So it was bad for me and it burned! Does it still burn?

Don't leave these out if you have kiddies!

I think it is way better for you than smoking. If halfway is what you can do now just stick to it and start to ask yourself why you need that chew. Habit? Coping?
Maybe start to replace one with a regular stick every once in awhile.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Fan

65 posts, read 139,849 times
That gum is bad for your teeth. If you are hooked on nicotine you can use nicorette patches (step3 ) and start chewing normal gum. It's all just in your head. I quit smoking with nicorette patches and Allen Carr's ''Easy Way to Stop Smoking''.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
ttz

678 posts, read 934,860 times
Don't forget that Nicotine does cause Atherosclerosis which leads to heart disease and strokes. Yes yes so does KFC (for the smoker who will chime in on the other dangers out there)

http://www.andhranews.net/Health/200...ease-15224.asp

Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,354,219 times
Well, nicotine in any form isn't good for you. It is better than smoking, but a habit you should break nonetheless.

I love how people love to throw around lines like "it's all in your head" "recipe for failure" and mention that they quit cold turkey.... sure, part of it is psychological, and sure quitting cold turkey works for some people. But it IS a physical addiction and what works for some people doesn't necessarily work for others. You really need to figure out why YOU are addicted (anxiety? habit? lack of desire to quit? is it more physical or mental?) and then act accordingly.

I know that in the lozenges they make a 2mg. Do they make a less potent gum as well? If you could switch from 4 to 2 mg pieces, even if you keep chewing the same amount you would halve the amount of nicotine. This may be a good way to wean yourself off some of the physical addiction and then you can work on the habit part. You could also look into something like Zyban/Wellbutrin to take you through the final stretch once you quit or reduce the amount of gum you chew.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:21 AM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Well, nicotine in any form isn't good for you. It is better than smoking, but a habit you should break nonetheless.

I love how people love to throw around lines like "it's all in your head" "recipe for failure" and mention that they quit cold turkey.... sure, part of it is psychological, and sure quitting cold turkey works for some people. But it IS a physical addiction and what works for some people doesn't necessarily work for others. You really need to figure out why YOU are addicted (anxiety? habit? lack of desire to quit? is it more physical or mental?) and then act accordingly.

I know that in the lozenges they make a 2mg. Do they make a less potent gum as well? If you could switch from 4 to 2 mg pieces, even if you keep chewing the same amount you would halve the amount of nicotine. This may be a good way to wean yourself off some of the physical addiction and then you can work on the habit part. You could also look into something like Zyban/Wellbutrin to take you through the final stretch once you quit or reduce the amount of gum you chew.
But again, why do you think that there are so many nicotine substitute products for sale? You body will be over nicotine withdrawal fairly quickly when you stop putting it in your body via any delivery system. Yet substitute delivery methods are touted as the ONLY solution to quitting. Why? Because there is NO PROFIT to be made by people just actually quitting. Corporations just want to sell nicotine, they have simply developed alternative delivery methods to sell, and at out very high profit margins.

The HABIT of smoking is the hardest monkey to get off your back when you quit, and people that relapse after the first week are drawn back not by the addiction to nicotine, as the body no longer needs it, but the HABIT of smoking.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
ttz

678 posts, read 934,860 times
Very good points Ash. Man, can you imagine if everyone was to quit cold turkey? The whole country would fall apart!

I wonder how one can combat the habit itself? That seems the hardest. Some say it takes 21 days to make or break one. But with some people smoking for decades, I am sure it will take several months to break it...

Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM

139 posts, read 280,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE800 View Post
I havent had a smoke since May 4th doing well, went and got hyptonized this Is about my fourth attempt In 5 or 6 years, but find my self addicted to the gum now. Not consistantant but 10 15 pieces a day(4mg). Im thinking If I kept track problably a little more even. I know should try get off them but keep telling my self and others "Better than smoking" D
I got this idea from the American Cancer Society- Get a package of those plastic straws or I guess some call them stir sticks (about a buck for a big package of them). Take a bunch of them and keep them even on the end than use a pair of scissors and snip into about one half inch pieces and chew on these little pieces just lilke you chew gum. They won't hurt the teeth and once I get them flattened out they stay in my mouth all day. By the way that is one at a time not the whole bunch that I cut off at the same time. The bunch I cut off lasts for months. It goes into the back corner of my mouth and when want it again take my tongue and fish it out and chew on it some more. I know this sounds crazy and far to cheap of solution but that is what I do.
I'm not quite sure how 60 or so mg of nicotine is much better than smoking healthwise however noone is getting smoke in their face, eyes or lungs anymore so suppose it is better.
This was the ACS recommendation for quitting smoking or chewing tobacco not nicotine gum I just thought it might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health