U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,850,159 times

Advertisements

Telstra BigPond News and Weather (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Health/2009/09/22/Dementia_cases_forecast_to_rise_by_2050_374988.htm l - broken link)

Does this news scare anyone else?

I am always telling my mom to work out and read more often. My grandmother (maternal grandmother) suffers from Alzheimer's and it scares me to death that my mom or I will get it.

CBS News reported that the costs are estimated to be around 2 trillion as more people are diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia and that's just Medicaid and Medicare spending. So much for health care reform...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM

5,536 posts, read 10,420,851 times
Yes, its scary. My father apparently is in stage 1 now and taking aricept. I'm quite suspect of statins used to lower cholesterol and wonder how they fit in with those now suffering with alzheimers.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,451,301 times
Alzheimer's and dementia have been associated with statin drugs.. The dementia was one of the problems I suffered from while on it myself. So as more and more people take these drugs, those things will be rising.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM

8,424 posts, read 24,188,312 times
I am thankful that it does not run in my family (if that is the case) but one of the reasons I make sure I eat organically only or detox 1x a year is for fear of that being an issue. It seems like it would be such and intense thing to go through for the person. I also hope to continue to go to school for something different every few years whenever I hit that "working man brain fuzz." I think not exercising the brain to learn different things beyond what you think on a regular basis has something to do with it too.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM

25,971 posts, read 7,925,759 times
I'm not sure not working your brain has anything to do with it. After working in an Alz unit there were professionals, attorneys, teachers and doctors, a very young one to be exact. We called him Dr. Bill!

Yesterday a long time friend of my Dad's died of Alz. His son called to tell my Dad. He was very active, a machinist, moved to the country in Oregon, but had been suffering for many years with this disease.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I'm not sure not working your brain has anything to do with it. After working in an Alz unit there were professionals, attorneys, teachers and doctors, a very young one to be exact. We called him Dr. Bill!

Yesterday a long time friend of my Dad's died of Alz. His son called to tell my Dad. He was very active, a machinist, moved to the country in Oregon, but had been suffering for many years with this disease.
Well that's not very encouraging.
I planned on going back to school around 50-55.
I'm 19 now and plan on getting a master's degree.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,188,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post

But its the same work. What I mean is doing something different than you use your brain for daily like learning to play music etc. Not to say there is not multiple reasons for having this issue. But I think about how infants are stimulated by all the different new stuff they see and have to process. A doctor keeps processing the same stuff again and again. I think exercise does help too as it boosts blood flow to that area cleaning it out and repairing. The jobs the pro-brains have are not very demanding on the body other than foot strain.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
But its the same work. What I mean is doing something different than you use your brain for daily like learning to play music etc. Not to say there is not multiple reasons for having this issue. But I think about how infants are stimulated by all the different new stuff they see and have to process. A doctor keeps processing the same stuff again and again. I think exercise does help too as it boosts blood flow to that area cleaning it out and repairing. The jobs the pro-brains have are not very demanding on the body other than foot strain.
Hmmm.....
I definitely want to learn how to play the piano and the violin when I'm older. I have so much going on right now, learning an instrument just isn't feasible.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,631,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Alzheimer's and dementia have been associated with statin drugs.. The dementia was one of the problems I suffered from while on it myself. So as more and more people take these drugs, those things will be rising.

Yes yes they have!

It has also been associated with ALUMINUM!

Vaccines and canned goods have aluminum along with underarm deoderant. All contain highER amounts of aluminum

Not proven YET

FHA - Intranuclear aluminum content in Alzheimer's disease, dialysis encephalopathy, and experimental aluminum encephalopathy - Article Summary

Aluminium and Alzheimer's disease - Alzheimer's Society

Those who eat fish (omega 3) are less likely to fall victim to alzheimers and dimentia.

Fish, meat, and risk of dementia: cohort study -- Barberger-Gateau et al. 325 (7370): 932 -- BMJ we have to keep those brains healthy and full of fat!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 AM

6,490 posts, read 5,016,940 times
Quote:
CBS News reported that the costs are estimated to be around 2 trillion as more people are diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia and that's just Medicaid and Medicare spending. So much for health care reform...
Exactly. America cannot afford Alzheimer's. So it won't. Drugs will help reduce the workload temporarily by slowing the disease's progression, but inevitably the burden for caring for loved ones in the later stages will fall on family members' shoulders as the gov't little by little washes it hands of any responsibility for payment of costs. Gotta reserve that money for the big guys' bailouts, you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health