Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times

Advertisements

I hope it's alright to put this under Health and not under Food/Drinks. Drinking coffee makes me tired, but drinking a frappuccino gives me a boost (must be the sugar). Doesn't seem to matter what kind of coffee or what strength the roast is. How can it be the caffeine causing this, because soda doesn't have that effect on me, neither does Excedrin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I hope it's alright to put this under Health and not under Food/Drinks. Drinking coffee makes me tired, but drinking a frappuccino gives me a boost (must be the sugar). Doesn't seem to matter what kind of coffee or what strength the roast is. How can it be the caffeine causing this, because soda doesn't have that effect on me, neither does Excedrin.
I'm not sure, but isn't frappuccino has espresso in it?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm not sure, but isn't frappuccino has espresso in it?
starbucks® beverages | Starbucks Coffee Company

Ice, cream, espresso and sugar, basically. 290 calories for a venti.

In any event, yes, frappuccino is coffee.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Hmm...my guess is that you've been a pretty heavy coffee drinker for awhile now and your system has simply adapted to the form of caffeine in coffee and built a tolerance to it, while caffeine in other forms--like colas and fraps--still does the trick for you. The brain and central nervous system can beahve like this with medications too, as your doctor will tell you: even variations at the molecular level in the same substance can cause different reactions.
So, I bet if you lay off coffee for awhile that you'll get the old caffeine kick again when you return to it.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
that makes sense but no.... I am 38 and I never drank coffee before a few years ago. I started drinking it sporadically, with hot chocolate or vanilla in it (cause I hate the taste), and now I drink half a cup every day with Vanilla SILK in it. I drink it cause it's good for you. I have actually met a number of people who say coffee makes them tired too, and apparently that is the effect it has on people with ADD. But.... is it the coffee beans making me tired? Cause the caffeine in Excedrin really makes my head spin!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I use organic Guarana from time to time, and I don't experience the typical energy spike and crash affect from it that I do with most other caffeinated products.
Guarana is made from the seeds of the world famous Paulinia Cupana plant. Guarana is used traditionally to enhance energy levels. You will see this herb in many weight loss formulas as a thermogenic stimulator. Guarana's action is much like caffeine, however, it's energy boost is smoother and lasts longer. Guarana seeds contain 2.5 times the amount of caffeine than coffee does. , but is tolerated better by the body because it is not water soluble and is therefore released into the bloodstream more slowly.
I drink about a quart of Yerba Mate on a daily basis. Although it contains a substance called mateine ( a caffeine cousin ) I never experience a letdown from drinking it.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 PM

369 posts, read 942,571 times
switch to yerba mate tea

Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Whoever told you that SILK was good for you? Soy has a host of negative issues.

Coffee has different effects on different people. It rarely gives me any significant boost and has little or no effect on keeping me awake. Caffeine pills tear up my stomach, so I get sleepy but stay awake from stomach pain.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Get tested for diabetes. The caffine can pull your blood sugar down..but if there is sugar in what you are drinking (lots ina frap) its going to give you a zoom. Do you have blood sugar issues in your family?

Also look at the caffine mgs/intake. They are all greatly different even in drip coffee depending on the type and roast.

Try to pay attention if you get tired every time after you have the soy. That can also be a sign of a thyroid issue. You do not want to eat soy if you have thyroid problems.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:58 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Even coffee with a high caffiene content will make you sleepy if you drink too much of it. It warms the stomach, which warms the blood and, in turn, warms the rest of the body, causing drowsiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health