Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:07 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

Have you tried Zomig yet? That was all that worked for me, and I tried every one of them...you get a strange sensation in your carotids from the increased blood flow for about 30 minutes, but that's it.

Interestingly enough, my migraines stopped completely within 6 weeks of having a hysterectomy - so I think mine were all hormone related, but I was laid up about 3 days out of every two weeks in total darkness with no sound around me. It was awful - you have my sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Have you tried Zomig yet? That was all that worked for me, and I tried every one of them...you get a strange sensation in your carotids from the increased blood flow for about 30 minutes, but that's it.

Interestingly enough, my migraines stopped completely within 6 weeks of having a hysterectomy - so I think mine were all hormone related, but I was laid up about 3 days out of every two weeks in total darkness with no sound around me. It was awful - you have my sympathy.
I haven't tried Zomig, had my Hysterectomy 7 years aro... LOL, wish they had stopped back then... But guess what? Yesterday I spent the whole day with my family. We didn't do anything spectacular, but we spent it ALL together, and no migraine! We were all truly blessed yesterday!!! I go to my Neuro on Tues... I am gonna ask if there are any more options.... we just have to tread very lightly because I am on many meds, some for Epilepsy and some for Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I have to watch for interactions...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I so totally agree! I tr to get a massage at least once a month and would love to go more often. For anyone who has never had a massage, make absolutely sure to drink lots of water afterwards or you will get a raging headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Just a wild shot in the dark, but do you get a lot of tightness in your head/skull even when you don't have a migraine? My wife is a CMT and she does a "headache massage", but a friend of hers who's more of an advanced therapist does a suture massage which works the plates in your skull, and it has tremendous results for me.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Have you considered that one of the meds could be causing the migraines?

Okay, I also take lots of meds and have in the last 8 years.

Back in 1999/2000 I was waking up with a headache almost every morning. All the symptoms of a migraine, esp with I could get it to ease up with coffee, tylenol, and sleep.

This went on for almost two years.

Then I switched neuro's cause we moved. He looked at all the meds I was on and decided to remove two and replace it with one. The one he added was topamax. The ones he removed were nortriptyline and neurontin. I started with the topamax and stopped the nortriptyline while still using the neurontin...and my headaches disappeared.

Nortriptyline is an older class of drugs which supposedly helps you sleep and helps with the pain. But in a very small percentage, it causes headaches and lack of sleep. I was a zebra. You've heard the adage: When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras.

Check the side effects of all the meds you are taking. If any mention causing headaches, mention it to your doctor. He/She may want to get you off them one at a time to see if you are also a zebra.

In the meantime, I do feel for you. A very good friend of mine had a car wreck almost 10 years ago now and can still count less than a month total of days free from a migraine. He counts a good day when the migraine is a 5 or less. Liz

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
Unhappy Migraines

I have been suffering for so long I am about at my witts end.I am getting very depressed and I need something done!I have had migraines caused by my hormones for 27 long years.I have learned that soaking my head in cool running water and taking anti-inflamitories helps avoid the worst part of my migraines which was throwing up because of intense pain,paralasis of my left arm,shaking and convulsing and eventualy passing out...literaly.I have tried medicine and have had so many cardiac side effects I am too scared to try anymore.My Grandmother had migraines like mine and as soon as she was done with menopause her migraines went away which leads me to hysterectomy. I here of people getting worse after but I am a stronge believer that it is the hormone replacement.Do you take the HRT?Did your doctor do the hysterectomy to treat your migraines?If so can you tell me your doctor?I have asked doctors to do this for me but they just tell me that isn't the answer.I would like to see one of them go through just one migraine like mine and then tell me again it is not the answer.It may not be the answer for everyone but considering my family history I think it might work and I am very willing to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 24,269 times
Try using the herb Butterbur. If you have migraines often this herb is worth a try. The downside is you have to take 2 to 3 capsules EVERYDAY. The upside is, they should reduce the frequency and severity of your migraines. But be patient. I suggest you use Butterbur everyday for 3 months before you pass judgment.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Well, I see my almost a year old thread has come back.. lol. My migraines are gone, for the most part. Where I was having them about 25 days out of the month, I now have them once or twice a month, if even that.

I did have one that lasted three days. I had them for ten years. My husband and I separated and I moved out on September 1 of last year with my children. Back in July or so, many of my health aspects, the ones that were not good started improving.

I have to say that stress played a huge role in my migraines. I think now, looking back.. we need to get our lives in order and everything seems to come together at that point. Hopefully. I think of that.. ten years... in misery. Now... I feel very good.

A hand has touched me. His hand.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
My wife has severe migraines too. I have them every now & then, but mine are short & severe. Since I had a couple tumors removed last year I don't get them as frequently but I do get headaches that feel like someone is jamming a pair of scissors into my right eye. I hope y'all find some relief.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Well, I see my almost a year old thread has come back.. lol. My migraines are gone, for the most part. Where I was having them about 25 days out of the month, I now have them once or twice a month, if even that.

I did have one that lasted three days. I had them for ten years. My husband and I separated and I moved out on September 1 of last year with my children. Back in July or so, many of my health aspects, the ones that were not good started improving.

I have to say that stress played a huge role in my migraines. I think now, looking back.. we need to get our lives in order and everything seems to come together at that point. Hopefully. I think of that.. ten years... in misery. Now... I feel very good.

A hand has touched me. His hand.
I am beyond happy that things have improvrd for you. Hope it keeps getting better, Blessings Michelle

Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
With me I have had migraines since I was 7, the one thing that ended up working for me was yoga and liquid B. I only get migrianes twice a month now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health