Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Do you really not understand some concepts or are you just a personality type that does not think of things or unable to discuss them philosophically?
Did you really not understand that there is a 'cost' (consequence) to every action?

If, for instance, you hit a friend the cost may be losing the friendship...if you eat out every day the cost (consequence) might be ruining your budget.....if you decide to try to impress your boss by working longer, the 'cost' will be giving up time to watch football.

If you understood those things before age 29 you didn't 'just learn it' you just aren't the type that thinks about the underlying philosophy of life.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I think the problem with the OP is being way too inwardly focused, personally.

Just get out and do good things for the sake of doing good and expect nothing in return and you will find the wisdom of life. Connect with flesh and blood people.

On one level there is a cost to every action and the examples given are for sure but some things in life are free. Freely given. There is a cost but there may be more net gain to the giver as a result of giving than net loss. I do not think such events are bound by the laws of physics.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My father always said their is two ways of learning about life. Either listen to those you made the mistakes or make the same mistakes yourself.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do you really not understand some concepts or are you just a personality type that does not think of things or unable to discuss them philosophically?
Did you really not understand that there is a 'cost' (consequence) to every action?

If, for instance, you hit a friend the cost may be losing the friendship...if you eat out every day the cost (consequence) might be ruining your budget.....if you decide to try to impress your boss by working longer, the 'cost' will be giving up time to watch football.

If you understood those things before age 29 you didn't 'just learn it' you just aren't the type that thinks about the underlying philosophy of life.
No, I did not.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I've read enough of your posts on city-data-forum to know that you are not mentally impaired.
You're quite intelligent and i'd be surprised if you didn't know it.
There's something else going on (Aspergers or other) and at this point it should be obvious that your original question is not going to be answered to your satisfaction on this forum.
Or perhaps it already has (Aspergers) and you just need time to process that possibility and go and see someone if you are so inclined.
So, since you are an adult and i'm assuming one that can sufficiently function, perhaps it's time to make some significant connections in the "real world" and discover for yourself, with the help of an embodied (ie; not on the internet) person or persons, what it is that you need in order to feel better about yourself.
To be mentally equal to all others.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think the problem with the OP is being way too inwardly focused, personally.

Just get out and do good things for the sake of doing good and expect nothing in return and you will find the wisdom of life. Connect with flesh and blood people.

On one level there is a cost to every action and the examples given are for sure but some things in life are free. Freely given. There is a cost but there may be more net gain to the giver as a result of giving than net loss. I do not think such events are bound by the laws of physics.
But everybody else has knowledge by default, so why not me?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My father always said their is two ways of learning about life. Either listen to those you made the mistakes or make the same mistakes yourself.
I don't believe that. It is by default for most people.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
But everybody else has knowledge by default, so why not me?
How can you say that? We are not born with it; we acquire it.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that. It is by default for most people.
I don't find myself strange to say that had I listened to a lot my parents said when I was younger I would be financially and physically better off for it. But I also would not have the husband and kids I have and love and the outlook on life I currently have. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life.

And the mistakes I have made along the way have also strenghtened me.

I LOVE this quote. Think it says an awful lot. If such wisdom was default then such statements as texdav and this quote would not be made. Your premise is incorrect.

"We climb to heaven most often on the ruins of our cherished plans, finding our failures were successes."
Amos Bronson Alcott (1799 - 1888)

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
To be mentally equal to all others.

I'm not "mentally equal to all others" ... i'm much more intelligent than most and much less intelligent than many.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-06-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health