Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM

91 posts, read 294,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There is some research to suggest that even as young children, people who develop shizophrenia are a bit "off" in some way. Looking at family photos you can see them holding themselves away in some manner, either leaning away or looking away, I am so sorry you are going throuigh this and I think it is an excellant idea to go to his next doctor's visit with him. If you are the one paying the bill, you need to know the diagnosis at least.
Each year we got school pictures of the Grandchildren..When he was about 7 or 8 yrs old I noticed right away on the picture that the life had gone out of his eyes...he looked so sad or something ( hard to explain) but so easy to see. I mentioned it to my husband right away. Each picture from then on was the same..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,160 times
You mentioned a traumatic event that happened at age 7, and then the 'light went out of his eyes' at age 7. Just wondering if there could be a connection..? Also, usually that's around the age when kids really start to understand when there's trouble at home. It sounds as if his homelife was a mess and his parents were/are very troubled, and he has been very angry that his basic needs weren't met.. probably also a lot of anger & jealously at all the attention his brother got. Also sounds like his Dad was never home.

Regarding the schizophrenia diagnosis, I can't stress enough how important it is to MAKE SURE he fits all the symptoms as outlined in the DSM (current edition). Be aware that docs can twist/manipulate supposed 'symptoms' around to make the person fit into a diagnosis. For example, does he truly hallucinate, and have delusions, on a regular basis?

If he really is NOT schizophrenic, then the drugs they may have him on now or in the future can be very damaging.. they can make his physical and mental condition worse, or at least impede his recovery to health. Not to mention it will be a waste of money and energy. On top of that, it can be a stigma that's with him for the rest of his life.

Please read, if you haven't already:

According to the revised fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), to be diagnosed with schizophrenia, three diagnostic criteria must be met:[4]
  1. Characteristic symptoms: Two or more of the following, each present for much of the time during a one-month period (or less, if symptoms remitted with treatment). If the delusions are judged to be bizarre, or hallucinations consist of hearing one voice participating in a running commentary of the patient's actions or of hearing two or more voices conversing with each other, only that symptom is required above. The speech disorganization criterion is only met if it is severe enough to substantially impair communication.
  2. Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care, are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset.
  3. Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least six months. This six-month period must include at least one month of symptoms (or less, if symptoms remitted with treatment).
Schizophrenia cannot be diagnosed if symptoms of mood disorder or pervasive developmental disorder are present, or the symptoms are the direct result of a general medical condition or a substance, such as abuse of a drug or medication.

(Source: Schizophrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Very Helpful, opal, thanks. So, if one supposedly has drug induced schizophrenia, a lot of the symptoms are different? I know a boy who was always super smart, good looking. popular, a real whiz. When he was 16, he did some drugs, and was diagnosed as drug induced schizophrenic. 4 years later and they have had so many terrible things going on with this issue. He was taking some medication once andcame completely back to his old self as far as anyone could tell, until he decided to go off his medicine. It's so sad. The police recently beat the living daylights out of him and after he got out of the hospital, they put him in jail, on 2 counts of resisting arrest from 2 police men who jumped him, knowing his mental condition. I'm under the impression that happens a lot. They busted his forehead open with a nightstick as well as other things.

CIT Officers should always be called to the scene of a disturbed mental person, not rookie cops.
There is an investigation going on right now regarding that deal. Someone mentioned Group Homes, and these people have looked all over for a clean, caring group home, and cannot find one. They said most of the people who run them want their clients drugged all the time so they will just lay around, and be no trouble.

Try to find a state ran mental facility. If its state ran, they can stay there longer, and get more individual help. They have all of the latest information and equipment. If you can get them on the right meds, and they will stay on them, they can live a normal, functioning life. you wouldn't believe how many lawyers, drs., attys, etc, have schizophrenia. I've learned a lot going to support groups with my friend. Go to support groups. You are not the only one in the situation, and you will be able to relate with people in the support group.

I was shocked that he was diagnosed at age 16! Funny thing is they have ran all kinds of tests on him, and his brain, and his brain activity is always normal, and they say he is still very smart, and that most people who have schizophrenia are very smart. Thats what I've heard. Remember, always tell the officers if you are ever in a situation where you need them, tell them he has mental issues. I've recently learned, along with the parents, that it is a law to send out officers who have training with mental issues. These cops who beat the stuffing out of this boy will probably be sued, but cops kill people here all the time, and get off because its always justifiable, supposedly. No one believes that.

Also, be persistent if you think the meds aren't helping him. The Drs. kept putting this guy on Risperdal (?) and it didn't seem to help. The drs. wouldn't change it because they said it's so effective with most schizophrenics. It ws like there was no other meds for his condition.

Good luck. I'm hoping for the best for you.
ETA: From someone in the know, how in the world can they tell if a person is smart or not when they aren't even able to concentrate? I'm going to have my friend read these posts. Maybe she can add something.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 AM

91 posts, read 294,750 times
Thank you Opalminor, God bless you for all your information. He really looks up to his younger brother..When they were young he made the younger brother stay up all night to protect him from what ever was after him..He would not stay in his room and would always go to younger brothers room and spend the night on the floor..He recently made the remark that as soon as he knows his younger brother will be ok (away at college will graduate in a year) he is going to move away. He always speeks highly of him. The Father always demeaned the older boy in front of us, I mean he really went to it saying he was worthless, good for nothing,ect. My husband told him that was not right and he invited my husband down stairs away from us and read my husband ( his father the riot act) When he came to live with us 10 months ago parents were close to breaking up. Father had just confessed to being unfaithful. Him being away so much, having high power meetings,and dinners out with these other people in high position changed him. He lost his way for at least the last 10 years. I know my grandson was worried about them because when he came here he was always asking "How are mom and Dad". Not how are they doing but how are mom and dad..He would not smile,or talk unless you asked him a question, and the answer would be so low you could not hear his response. A dog bit him in the finger and unless I would have seen the dog go after him I would not have known anything was wrong as he did not hold his hand or make any sign that anything was wrong..It was a good bite in the nail and along the side of the nail ripping it as he pulled it away from the dog. He just calmly stood there while I yelled at the dog. I had to ask him if he had gotten bitten when I seen the blood running down his hand. He always thought he had to go somewhere but he did not know where to go, he had to do something, but did not know what to do. He has been on meds since July and now he does speak loud enough so we can hear him and will talk sports with my husband. And he does not look quit as lost. He went off the meds at christmas and I notice the difference, he moves aside if you walk by him, will not show expression, and sits and picks at his wrist again. He is now back on them but no improvement yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health