Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
imo I think caffeine is worse for you than alcohol. I'm cutting way back on caffeine I think it's horrible for you but the FDA is too scared to do anything about it or take a stance on it since it's the drug of choice for 200 million people in America.
Neither caffeine nor alcohol are at all bad for you in modest amounts (in fact alcohol in moderation has been shown to be beneficial) so saying caffeine "is horrible for you" simply isn't true, which is probably why the FDA isn't doing anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Why do I seem like I get a better night of rest after I've drank a moderate amount of alcohol?
um because it makes you sleepy?

Basically for me, a drink or 2 at night (usually wine) and I do typically get a better night's sleep. Over-doing it will put me out, but it's not a "restful" sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,659 times
I rarely ever drink alcohol (much less soda) but the times I have (usually when my friends drag me out for birthday party or something) I find that I do sleep much better. The first time I experienced this was after my best friend's bachelorette party. At first I thought it was because I was exhausted both physically and mentally. Once I hit the bed I was out cold, and woke up bright and early at 7 a.m. I haven't felt that rested in so long. Strange that I didn't have a hang over when I drank as much as everyone else, and my friends couldn't even get out of bed before 1pm.

The next time I went out and drank with my friends and got home I had just as good of a rest. I don't know why that is. Well, alcohol does make me sleepy. Unlike my friends it doesn't lower my inhibitions it just makes me really sleepy.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 AM

241 posts, read 474,559 times
of course not
Alcohol is a bunch of disadvantages it let you to :-
1- Be out of your mine
2- some times kill
3- beat
4- brake laws
5- It's really smells bad

>>>>>>>>>
so thank god that it is not allowed in my religion "Islam"

Old 02-10-2010, 04:00 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I fall asleep nicely if I have a drink but I don't feel like I had better sleep when I wake up. I usually wake up several times during the night.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Decades ago an old guy put me onto drinking a couple ounces of port wine when I was having trouble sleeping. I did it for a number of years, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Alcohol is a sedative, just like a sleeping pill. It helps you relax, which in turn helps you sleep well.

From my own experience, drinking too much seems to wake me up in the middle of the night, and I certainly don't feel better the next morning. But I quit doing that years ago! (Finally grew up in my 40s.)

Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,748 times
Okay, so I was googling. I slept at 5am woke up at 7am and I feel great.
I'm not bragging or anything.

But alcohol makes me feel a little more awake, and I don't know why.

Usually when I sleep maybe 6 hours, I feel really tired the next morning.

If I sleep 6 hours, with some light drinking, I feel wide awake.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,891 times
Default Alcohol and histamine levels can effect sleep

I'm sorry for the late reply to this, but I don't think anyone actually answered the question.

TL;DR: Bright and shiny in the morning - maybe. Still well rested later that day or the next, probably not.

Some people might in fact feel peppier in the morning after drinking because of how their body processes histamines, but drinking before bed to sleep better is not a win in the long run because it leads to disrupted sleeping patterns and insomnia.

----
Everyone responds differently to alcohol. Lots of different genes regulate whether we like it, how much we like it, whether we'll be come addicted. Everyone has a different set. (Example research: [url=http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091026192900.htm]Genes That Drive You To Drink (But Don't Make You An Alcoholic)[/url] lots more on this site )

One of the things that alcohol interacts with is our histamine levels (like "anti-histamine allergy medication" histamine). That histamine interaction contributes to what can make _SOME_ people feel peppier in the morning. In others it will make them feel even worse.

Histamines are not the only way our bodies react to alcohol. In the long run and in beyond moderate quantities, alcohol disturbs sleep patterns. Alcohol suppresses the "rest-and-digest" functions of the parasympathetic nervous system. In other words it eventually it leads to difficulties with insomnia and the attendant health side effects.

So even if you get the peppy feeling in the am, the quality of your sleep wasn't likely to be the best you can have if you were drinking more than moderately.

Last edited by curlyQue2011; 07-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyQue2011 View Post
I'm sorry for the late reply to this, but I don't think anyone actually answered the question.

TL;DR: Bright and shiny in the morning - maybe. Still well rested later that day or the next, probably not.

Some people might in fact feel peppier in the morning after drinking because of how their body processes histamines, but drinking before bed to sleep better is not a win in the long run because it leads to disrupted sleeping patterns and insomnia.

----
Everyone responds differently to alcohol. Lots of different genes regulate whether we like it, how much we like it, whether we'll be come addicted. Everyone has a different set. (Example research: Genes That Drive You To Drink (But Don't Make You An Alcoholic) lots more on this site )

One of the things that alcohol interacts with is our histamine levels (like "anti-histamine allergy medication" histamine). That histamine interaction contributes to what can make _SOME_ people feel peppier in the morning. In others it will make them feel even worse.

Histamines are not the only way our bodies react to alcohol. In the long run and in beyond moderate quantities, alcohol disturbs sleep patterns. Alcohol suppresses the "rest-and-digest" functions of the parasympathetic nervous system. In other words it eventually it leads to difficulties with insomnia and the attendant health side effects.

So even if you get the peppy feeling in the am, the quality of your sleep wasn't likely to be the best you can have if you were drinking more than moderately.
True. A couple of beers in the evening destroys my sleep.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,688 times
Well, alcohol may disturb the sleep cycle. Some of us don't have a healthy sleep cycle to being with. I too grind my teeth in my sleep. I find a nice glass of wine to be the better alternative for me. It seems drinking in moderation is actually good for you unless you suffer from alcoholism thus you need an alternative. I can say, I have to have some type of medication to sleep, sleeping pills, etc so that I can sleep. If I have an nice glass of wine, one that has the antioxidants that are good for me, I do sleep uninterrupted. I feel less groggy in the morning than I do from my sleeping pills. The sleeping pills don't stop the grinding but the alcohol seems to make so I'm not gritting my teeth still first thing in the morning. Just remember, all things do in moderation and person should be fine. As to so many studies that say alcohol is bad for the sleep cycle never woke up refreshed as I do the next morning. I feel it helps on an individual basis and a handful of people in a study might not give proper results. If you balance everything to the best of your ability, then do what you as an individual think is best for your own health.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:36 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawary View Post
of course not
Alcohol is a bunch of disadvantages it let you to :-
1- Be out of your mine
2- some times kill
3- beat
4- brake laws
5- It's really smells bad

>>>>>>>>>
so thank god that it is not allowed in my religion "Islam"
Is English allowed in your religion?

Alcohol makes me fall asleep faster but it doesn't make me rest better. A lot of times if I drink a lot I willl wake up in the middle of the night and it's hard to go back to sleep. Makes me antsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health