U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Status: "Hoping for a sunny 3 day weekend" (set 27 days ago)

1,523 posts, read 1,348,528 times
Default Do some people sleep better by drinking alcohol? If so, why?

Why do I seem like I get a better night of rest after I've drank a moderate amount of alcohol? Does that mean on a normal night I'm not sleeping properly and alcohol is putting me into a deeper sleep or something? This issue is slightly disturbing to me it's just something I've noticed a couple of times. It's just that quite often I can sleep like 9 hours and still feel tired after I get up but then I can drink a moderate amount of alcohol one night, go to sleep for about 8 hours, and feel great when I wake up. What gives? Anyone else like that? I'm just concerned I have some sort of health problem like sleep apnea or something where I do not sleep properly throughout the night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM

138 posts, read 215,646 times
To the contrary, I sleep much much better when I don't drink. I've noticed that I feel far more well rested in the morning if I go to bed completely sober. Even just a couple of drinks before bed will make me feel groggy the next day. This wasn't always the case though. When I was younger I could drink all night and feel fine the next day.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 PM

4,551 posts, read 5,823,616 times
People do not sleep better when they drink alcohol. Sure people will tell you that, but, don't believe it. People will justify this in many ways. My husband and deceased MIL would tell each other stories of how hospitals and DR.s would prescribe whiskey ALL THE TIME for sleeping....conveniant that they were raging alcoholics attempting to justify their deadly habit

Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,306,395 times
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. Drink some and you'll get sleepy. Drink more and you'll end up unconscious. Drink more than that and you can die from acute alcohol toxicity.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,802,367 times
I drink socially, lately maybe once or twice a week. previously I would go for months without having any alcohol. The evenings that I have a beer or two or some wine I sleep like a baby. The rest of the time I consume waaay too much caffeine and grind my teeth at night.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Status: "Hoping for a sunny 3 day weekend" (set 27 days ago)

1,523 posts, read 1,348,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I drink socially, lately maybe once or twice a week. previously I would go for months without having any alcohol. The evenings that I have a beer or two or some wine I sleep like a baby. The rest of the time I consume waaay too much caffeine and grind my teeth at night.
imo I think caffeine is worse for you than alcohol. I'm cutting way back on caffeine I think it's horrible for you but the FDA is too scared to do anything about it or take a stance on it since it's the drug of choice for 200 million people in America.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM

11,995 posts, read 11,333,232 times
Alcohol disturbs the sleep cycle, read up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Why do I seem like I get a better night of rest after I've drank a moderate amount of alcohol? Does that mean on a normal night I'm not sleeping properly and alcohol is putting me into a deeper sleep or something? This issue is slightly disturbing to me it's just something I've noticed a couple of times. It's just that quite often I can sleep like 9 hours and still feel tired after I get up but then I can drink a moderate amount of alcohol one night, go to sleep for about 8 hours, and feel great when I wake up. What gives? Anyone else like that? I'm just concerned I have some sort of health problem like sleep apnea or something where I do not sleep properly throughout the night.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 PM

6,349 posts, read 6,169,226 times
I am right there with you. I rarely drink, but when I do I sleep very well. Last week my DH and I had one glass of wine with dinner and I slept like a rock that night. I know some people will say it doesn't work that way, but for me it does.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,046,208 times
Well my $.02...

Of course I sleep better when I've had some cold beers...
I drink, then eat, then shower, then relax, then nite-nite...

No cold beers, I'll sleep 3hours less every time...

Just me???

Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,854,079 times
I sleep really good when I have a couple of beers and some greasy Mexican food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health