Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Maybe not yet, but the idea is gaining momentum. Several states, and the federal government, are considering higher taxes on junk food right now, in addition to what's already been accomplished by removing such things from public schools.

Hang onto your hat. This ride ain't over yet!
Yes, and am I glad! Now the dumb bunnies that taxed tobacco out of existence get to pay that lost tax! It's justice I tell you! Pure justice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, and am I glad! Now the dumb bunnies that taxed tobacco out of existence get to pay that lost tax! It's justice I tell you! Pure justice!!!

On one level, I agree with you. It would tickle me pink to see the smoke-Nazi's shelling out 3 bucks for a soft drink or $5 for the occassional Big Mac.

On the other hand, I'm already paying through the nose for my smokes, thanks to them, so advocating higher taxes on things I also use might be a little like cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:

On the other hand, I'm already paying through the nose for my smokes, thanks to them, so advocating higher taxes on things I also use might be a little like cutting off my nose to spite my face.
Hmmmm.......Why do you pay so much to smoke when you don't have to?

Switch to the pipe and save money while you really enjoy a good smoke without all the chemicals found in cigarettes. I kid you not.

People are just now noticing that Big Food is also in the business of addiction but can't connect to the fact that all the junk food is not as harmless as claimed.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Hmmmm.......Why do you pay so much to smoke when you don't have to?

Switch to the pipe and save money while you really enjoy a good smoke without all the chemicals found in cigarettes. I kid you not.

People are just now noticing that Big Food is also in the business of addiction but can't connect to the fact that all the junk food is not as harmless as claimed.

I don't have the teeth to hold a pipe any more!

And besides...I like my Camels. Sure wish they'd market that particular blend of tobbaco for pipes. I'd smoke one then for sure!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,385 times
Which only proves that nicotine addiction is a myth.

If there were no such thing as cigarettes, the same people who claimed they were "addicted" to nicotine, would now claim they are "addicted" to chocolate, fast food, or some other such nonsense. And of course, the government would place high taxes on such items and only those age 18 and above could purchase a Snickers bar.

Is there such thing as a "addictive" personality? Of course. But are such things like cigarettes and candy inherently "addictive"? No, they are not. Only to those who have addictive personalities.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Here we go! Some of us have been trying to warn people for a long time that there will be no end to the enforcement of "healthy" lifestyles based upon "science." Just as with smoking, "science" can find an excuse for anything so long as the public supports the idea.

What say you? Is this "study" grounds for new public policies to restrict access to junk foods or tax them in an effort to get people to change their habits?

Junk food 'as addictive as heroin and smoking' - Telegraph
I think people who want a nanny state will find any excuse for more government intervention.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think people who want a nanny state will find any excuse for more government intervention.

That's right. Too bad for us that a majority seem to want that very thing. It's like we've all forgotten how to take care of ourselves and need the government to "help" with even the most trivial aspects of life.

You smelled a little cigarette smoke? HELP!

You feed your kid too much junk food and he's getting fat? HELP!

There are bullies at school picking on your child? HELP!

Someone you know got killed in a car wreck? HELP!

The list is endless. Whatever happened to good ol' American self-reliance? Where are American's like Daniel Boone, who simply saddled his horse, grabbed his rifle and rode off toward Kentucky, secure in his ability to handle whatever came his way? Were are the pioneers who loaded their families on Conestoga wagons and set out for the Promised Land without any government assistance? Where are those like the little bands of Texas Rangers who trotted out toward the Llano Estacado to take on the whole Comanche nation by themselves and never doubted their ability to overcome?

When, and how, did we turn into a nation of whining, petulant little metro-sexual wimps who can't drive from Dallas to Ft. Worth without someone holding their hands or go out in public without a pre-assurance that all will be well?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM

235 posts, read 355,827 times
While I agree that government has to keep their hands out of this kind of stuff as far as legislating goes, these are the kinds of things that need to make its way out into the public so individuals can make informed decisions in regards to their health.

Imagine the money this country would save if more people knew the truth about what they put into their bodies, and how it affects their mental/physical well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health