Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times

Advertisements

You might want to edit your post to add some white space. Until then many wont attempt to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
why not just do your job and make friends away from work??
all this high drama might be good for a low budget TV show but, really
no one has any power over you unless you give it to them!!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Yep worked with many of them in sales. Pretend to play along with their agenda and the less you say the better because it will be used against you. I had enough of it with one special person and I started knifing them in the back and sabotaging their work. Revenge is dish best served cold.

I don't like to do it but you threaten me and make my life difficult game on.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
all this high drama might be good for a low budget TV show but, really
no one has any power over you unless you give it to them!!

the above is typical of the insidious attitude to the victims of bullying nowadays , more responsibility is placed on the victim to pull themselves together than the perpetrator to acknowledge their wrongdoing , hence this utterly perverse rationale where soundbites like " no one has any power over you unless you give it to them " , prevail , its disgusting

Old 09-13-2013, 02:32 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
" no one has any power over you unless you give it to them "
Akin to say we have unlimited energy to accomplish anything we want. One of my mentors would call it "Lies we tell to children". You can be President of the US, no you can't.

I can gurantee that anyone attempting the above with a micromanager will fail.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Yes the problem with dealing with sociopaths is that they don't play by the rules and it's really hard to get revenge on them b/c you're probably not capable of taking it as far as they are, though really that's a good thing.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The thing about working with a sociopath that does skilled bullying, is that when you try to talk about, it seems so childish, that those things affect you. How can you "make friends" with a person who can deliberately ignore you, for weeks on end? And gives you a blank stare when you say "Hello"... These people are not normal. That is the problem. So, no one who has not experienced this can even understand it, or wrap their head around it.

The sociopath I worked with, ignored me for weeks on end. Imagine working in an office, with a person who acts like you do not exist? Is that suppose to just be something you shrug off? It creates an atmosphere not conducive to work....when the sociopath was called on this, she said she had issues with things I said, so in order to keep working, she had to just pretend I was not there....because I was so "difficult".

BTW....this is interesting....I left my job because of this sociopath, and someone was hired after me, and also left because of the sociopath....the sociopath is clearly winning, by clearing out other workers who do not kowtow to her. And management obviously does not care.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Akin to say we have unlimited energy to accomplish anything we want. One of my mentors would call it "Lies we tell to children". You can be President of the US, no you can't.

I can gurantee that anyone attempting the above with a micromanager will fail.

its at best glib and at worst crass

Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The thing about working with a sociopath that does skilled bullying, is that when you try to talk about, it seems so childish, that those things affect you. How can you "make friends" with a person who can deliberately ignore you, for weeks on end? And gives you a blank stare when you say "Hello"... These people are not normal. That is the problem. So, no one who has not experienced this can even understand it, or wrap their head around it.

The sociopath I worked with, ignored me for weeks on end. Imagine working in an office, with a person who acts like you do not exist? Is that suppose to just be something you shrug off? It creates an atmosphere not conducive to work....when the sociopath was called on this, she said she had issues with things I said, so in order to keep working, she had to just pretend I was not there....because I was so "difficult".

BTW....this is interesting....I left my job because of this sociopath, and someone was hired after me, and also left because of the sociopath....the sociopath is clearly winning, by clearing out other workers who do not kowtow to her. And management obviously does not care.

they also usually have the ability to lie in an extraordinarily self righteous manner which makes their malevolent agenda appear almost credible to easily duped people , the one I encountered was a master at engaging in projection , she used to accuse me of arrogance for the sin of fighting her poisonous words with fire , the irony being her arrogance was breathtaking

" give me on reason why I shouldn't treat you like sh1t " was a line she uttered in my direction one particular day , a staggering level of arrogance is required to manage such a statement

Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
all this high drama might be good for a low budget TV show but, really no one has any power over you unless you give it to them!!
Have you read Martha Stout's book? A person's supervisor certainly does have power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
...someone on another thread recommended the book The Sociopath Next Door, which I read recently. The author profiles a couple of sociopathic employees, one of whom is in a high supervisory position. What this employee gets away with is chilling to read (until someone has the courage and perserverance to approach her supervisor). The author claims that one out of 25 people are sociopaths and that most of us aren't aware of this...and can be easily drawn in by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health