Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,157,681 times

Advertisements

It seems like when it comes to Mercedes Benz, I don't see the 4 door flagship S/500/550/600 anymore.

All I see are the Mercedes Benz C-Class, or the "Baby Benz". It seems like MB is becoming as common as driving a Honda( nothing wrong with Honda).

I remember when my Aunt/Uncle had a MB back in the 80's. It certainly turned heads. It was rare to see.

On another note: It seems like every yuppie that starts earning $50K/yr buys entry level luxury brands. 3-Series(BMW),A4(Audi),C-Class(MB), S40(Volvo).

Do you think the luxury brands are becoming diluted because of entry level models?

Last edited by Ron.; 04-07-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,644,197 times
The MB class you remember is no longer imported. Instead MB has concentrated on smaller MB models for for the US market to the point they build the US MB models in Alabama.

Mercedes-Benz U.S. International

Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,157,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The MB class you remember is no longer imported. Instead MB has concentrated on smaller MB models for for the US market to the point they build the US MB models in Alabama.

That, I didn't not know.

Yes, the MB I remember was imported. It seems like MB no longer "screams luxury".

Old 04-07-2012, 03:25 PM

990 posts, read 2,549,809 times
Grandpa Pipes,

I'm not sure I understand what you posted.

Are you saying that the "S" class is no longer imported.

If so, this in incorrect, my dealer has many models of the "S" in stock and ready to sell anytime you want to choose a color.

Obviously some models disappear as newer vehicles come onto line.

IE: The once available E-320 is no longer available as a New car...but the newer E-350 is, and fills the niche.

EDIT: I don't know about the site you listed, however, try MBUSA.com. This is the U.S. Mercedes Benz site that lists all models available in the U.S. for 2012.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,534,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It seems like when it comes to Mercedes Benz, I don't see the 4 door flagship S/500/550/600 anymore.

All I see are the Mercedes Benz C-Class, or the "Baby Benz". It seems like MB is becoming as common as driving a Honda( nothing wrong with Honda).

I remember when my Aunt/Uncle had a MB back in the 80's. It certainly turned heads. It was rare to see.

On another note: It seems like every yuppie that starts earning $50K/yr buys entry level luxury brands. 3-Series(BMW),A4(Audi),C-Class(MB), S40(Volvo).

Do you think the luxury brands are becoming diluted because of entry level models?
The European auto makers realized the importance of entry level branding years ago, this is what builds brand loyalty. Pay a visit to your local MB dealer and you will see the flagship cars are alive and well and now push into 6 figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

An inaccurate post.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,351,413 times
Quote:

A base C class can be as little as $35,000, you could spend that on an Accord or Camery, or some Hyundai's - would you rather drive one of those or a Benz?

Quote:
Do you mean are the luxury brands becoming less exclusive, or the province of the wealthy? It seems that way when you could by a lower end MB or BMW, but I think a lot of it is due to how expensive the more common brands have become.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM

21,723 posts, read 24,957,207 times
No doubt about it, Mercedes has been diluted. It used to be a cut-above luxury brand and BMW was the not-really luxury brand. Now, the're pretty much the same. C-class/3-seires, E-class/5-series, S-class/7-series... more or less the same thing. BMW has gotten too fancy and Mercedes has gotten cheaper, and not just the C-class. Still, what are you going to do about it? Driving a Mercedes isn't anything special any longer, but it's still at least as prestigious as any other main-stream luxury marque. It's not like you're going to run out and buy a BMW, Audi, or Lexus because they have more snob appeal... Mercedes just doesn't have the monopoly on snobbery that it once did. Mercedes just figured out that snobbery doesn't sell cars all that well... for every few sales they lose to Bentley or Rolls Royce they probably sell more than a thousand C-class models, many of whom will go on to buy several Mercedes in their lifetime.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,241,968 times
I think the BMW 3-Series Killed it as it is alot more fun to drive exciting brand and the Mercedes never captured that market like the 3-series did with a entry level car that was fun to drive and still had some luxury features to it.

I would say here in Vancouver a new BMW 3-series is as Common as a new Ford Mustang GT or Chevy Camaro SS on the roads and are every where..Not so much for mercedes unless talking about the M-Class Suv which is quite popular out here along with the "baby benz" C-class...Quite a few Mid-00's late model SL-500's droptops are around though since they are quite popular with the late 20's-early 30's crowd and compete with the covertible Porsche Boxster Crowd out here in terms of how many people drive them...

Still when it comes to sports Cars the C6 Corvette and Porsche 911(997) still are the most popular with the SL-500 well behind them in terms of populatrity

Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,373,128 times
I think it's purely dependent upon what you really are looking for in a luxury car.
The S class and G-Wagon are still exclusive and speak volumes concerning luxury.
With that said there are many buyers in the MB S Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A-8 strata that want something from a different country other than Germany.

If I was in the market for a high end luxury sedan of that level I would seriously consider the Maserati Quattroporte.

The styling drips of Italy and the Sport model is extremely fast.
I'm attaching a couple of photo's of the Quattroporte.

On the other side of the coin if I was wanting to spend money on an American car it would be the Cadillac CTS-V sedan.
It still holds as the worlds fastest production sedan and it's styling is in my opinion fantastic.

Like other posters have said here, Mercedes has watered down their mark and offers nothing other than the very high end series to set themselves apart from the diluted pack.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Mercedes Benz still the luxury car of choice?-maserati_quattroporte_575.jpg   Is Mercedes Benz still the luxury car of choice?-la-auto-show-2008-maserati-quattroporte  

Last edited by julian17033; 04-07-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,115,327 times
Lexus is the finest luxury marque. They are not only luxurious, but reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart