Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
2 locally. I looked at the options and "tech specs" and did not see any differences.
Did they have any coupes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
2 locally. I looked at the options and "tech specs" and did not see any differences.

The front end of that car looks like something out of The Fast and the Furious. It looks like its hit a curb got crunched and the owner didn't fix it.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Did they have any coupes?
Well, duh on my part. No. Some days I'm not very observant.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I hate bargain basement versions of exclusive brands. Waters 'em down.
Not looking forward to that front wheel drive 1 series based on the mini-cooper, then?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
OP here again! Here's the situation for everyone to read carefully:

I'm asking for my very spry & active 75 yr old mom, who's worked hard in her life & taken care of her elderly husband (my dad) & her & I both feel now's the time she deserves a NEW car again, which will probably be her LAST car in her life.

In the past, she's had a Lexus that she bought new. Then, about 3-5 yrs ago, she's leased a Hummer H3 (my suggestion) for 3 yrs & she enjoyed it while it lasted, then she's driven my old car, which is a Honda. She's ready for a nice, new car.

She's been in touch with a couple of people at different Mercedes dealerships & doing some research. First, she had to seriouisly consider buying or leasing. She decided to BUY, which I think is a good decision.

She knows that no one ever pays the sticker price that's on the car. She's decided to pay $20K down in cash & finance the other $12K. She found online a 1.99% loan.

She has her heart pretty set on a Mercedes this time. I've asked her about BMW, Acura, Infiniti, etc. & she doesn't want them. She wants luxury, but she's still no an extravagent person, so she feels that this $30K Merceds is great...a Mercedes at a great price. She hasn't seen it in person or test drove it yet. She wants me to come along for that. Certain colors cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's ONLY 30K?

And your mom is buying it for you? I think you are in a wrong forum.
Who said anything about her buying it FOR ME?! I don't see anywhere where I said she's buying it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
$30K will get you a fully loaded with every option Ford Fusion AWD Platinum Edition and IMO is a better Bang for the Buck car.
No offense, but my mom don't want no stinkin' Ford. She'd never get a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, VW, etc. in a million years. Actually, my parents & I favor Japanese cars, but my mom's never had a Mercedes & wants it this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My neighbor bought one. She's an elderly lady of probably mid 70's. I've only seen the car once. She first had electrical gremlins with it but they supposedly fixed it. Now she says they are having to put a new engine in it. The car can't have 1000 miles on it yet so I'm not sure she knows exactly what's wrong with it but she said it made a loud pop and quit running. Conversely, her daughter came home in a New Taurus Limited. Both cars are white. Mom is now wishing she had a Taurus. She says it's a lot nicer car in ride and comfort. Said it would have saved her about 10 grand but I didn't ask what the Mercedes cost her. This is moms third Mercedes and apparently her last as she's not a happy camper. I'll probably be seeing a new Taurus in the driveway in a couple of weeks.
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes, a brand new car can be a lemon. Hopefully, my mom doesn't run into these problems.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I welcome many more comments!

Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
If you want a Merc, buy a real Merc, not an economy Merc that is worse than your Honda/Ford/etc.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
She has her heart pretty set on a Mercedes this time. I've asked her about BMW, Acura, Infiniti, etc. & she doesn't want them. She wants luxury, but she's still no an extravagent person, so she feels that this $30K Merceds is great...a Mercedes at a great price.
No point in you asking for opinions then, now is there?

Mercedes are not the same company they were even 3 decades ago. For LOT of money you are getting a big star on your grill that will impress your neighbors and a myriad of electrical glitches and reliability that would sink a japanese or american car company. When the warranty runs out, if you use a dealer to remedy the issues they are known to have later, you suffer a business model that has service managers doing their best to extort 1000.00 for the first hour of lift time. But hey, if thats what your Moms heart is set on, its her money

Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
IMHO....people who buy cars like this and the 1 Series BMW's are nothing more than people buying a car simply to say they drive a Mercedes/BMW. As others have said, these are bottom-of-the-totem pole, basic cars that your basically paying for the name and accepting the high costs of repairs to do so (unless you're leasing). If you don't have the coin to spring for a better class/series/model, skip the no frills Merc/BMW and get a better car for the money.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
IMHO....people who buy cars like this and the 1 Series BMW's are nothing more than people buying a car simply to say they drive a Mercedes/BMW. As others have said, these are bottom-of-the-totem pole, basic cars that your basically paying for the name and accepting the high costs of repairs to do so (unless you're leasing). If you don't have the coin to spring for a better class/series/model, skip the no frills Merc/BMW and get a better car for the money.

This ^^^^ even dear ole mom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart