Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times

Advertisements

These cars are beautifully engineered are offer exceptional all-around performance. But be prepared to spend a good deal of money for upkeep. I was assigned to an Audi dealership where I provided vehicle replacements to the dealer's customers. One of the service advisors told me that once the vehicle was out of warranty, the customer would trade in for a new model. For example, a brake job on most Audis back then would require replacing all four rotors. If you purchase a used Mercedes, your best bet is to have it serviced by an independent garage that specializes in German vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 AM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
[quote=mikey2;36560592]
Quote:
they offer a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty[/QUOTE

If it's just a power train warranty or through a 3rd party insurer....

"Run Forest Run!!"
Unless the warranty is directly from the dealer/manufacturer run like the devil is on your ass.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:52 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times
I'm about to sell my 2007 5 series. I would never ever again buy another BMW. The cost of ownership, post warranty, is just way over the top expensive. Time to go back to my roots, Toyota Camry here I come!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
All things considered the market speaks. The resale value on used high end German cars plunges because over decades now, the buyers learned they are expensive to own. I don't own one so I have no personally experience. But my friends who have owned 3 series, 5 series, and C and E class do not have good stories.

The 3 series in particular, E36 and E46, seemingly breaks apart around 100K miles. Front suspension, power windows, power steering, and in one friend's car the automatic transmission. Short life on brake discs.

I first heard of CPO cars with German brands. I think the dealers needed a way to sell 3 year old lease return cars - so the entire CPO concept was created to increase buyer confidence in these cars.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:17 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
The 1999 E430 Sport in the driveway still looks and performs like a new car. Beside the regular oil changes and maintenance, I had a window motor replaced for less than $300. The car is great for city and cross-country driving. Last year I bought a new Ford Fusion as my daily driver but prefer driving my wife’s E430. IMO, Mercedes builds a great car.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
I currently own a 2002 BMW 3 series convertible and a 2008 MB eclass. Both cars have been more reliable and have cost less money to maintain then any GM car I ever owned. I drove Cadillacs for years. Total money pits. I drove a 95' Olds Auroa which I adored and the motor seized, and I maintain all my cars very well. To date the needed repairs on both of German cars have been less then $500. The BMW is pretty easy to work on, I haven't had to much of anything on the MB, but it looks fairly straight forward.

I would also like to add Toyota to the list of reliable cars to. My SO drives a 2005 Toyota 4runner with the V8 engine. nearly 10 years and 150,000 and it was virtually trouble free until recently and we traded it in for a new 4runner.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
All things considered the market speaks. The resale value on used high end German cars plunges because over decades now, the buyers learned they are expensive to own. I don't own one so I have no personally experience. But my friends who have owned 3 series, 5 series, and C and E class do not have good stories.

The 3 series in particular, E36 and E46, seemingly breaks apart around 100K miles. Front suspension, power windows, power steering, and in one friend's car the automatic transmission. Short life on brake discs.

I first heard of CPO cars with German brands. I think the dealers needed a way to sell 3 year old lease return cars - so the entire CPO concept was created to increase buyer confidence in these cars.
The e46 is prone to control arm bushing failure at about 50,000 miles. they are wear and tear items and are inexpensive to replace. The transmission issue was because BMW was using GM transmissions in some of the e46 line. Many times the failure was nothing more then a solenoid. I experienced this issue on a GM car some years ago.

The problem was BMW dealerships would charge upwards of $2500 to simply replace the tranny. Or at least that's what they said they were doing. The replacement of the Solenoid was something that did not require the transmission to be removed and was a $300 to $500 job depending on what exactly needed to be done. It was all labor. The parts were about $150.

Early e46's had power window issues. The regulator which was nothing more then a plastic wire would break. A simply DIY was using a zip tie to secure it. Brake life has never been an issue for me on the e46. But agan, the BMW dealers would ass rape people and charge $1200 for brakes and rotors all around. Such BS.

BMW gave themselves a bad rap.

MB isn't much better with there dealer tactics. But there are somethings on the MB I wouldn't let any one do expect MB, and that one this is a Transmission and transfer case service. Everything else is fair game and not hard to do if you have patience the right tools and you tube video tutorials.

Sadly MB's relability took a hit after it's deal with Chrysler. Any MB pre-2007 has issues.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 PM

[quote=camaro69;36571992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post

Unless the warranty is directly from the dealer/manufacturer run like the devil is on your ass.
It depends on the warranty company.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Quick question to the forum as a piggy-back:

I've never been into either Mercedes or Jaguars, but when I randomly came across the Mercedes CLS series, I was like "wow, I really love the styling!!" Now, I realize it's stupid to even think about dropping $80K just for looks, but I really can't get the look out of my head. That brought me to look at the Jaguar XJ series, which has a similar look. But also similarly expensive. And my understanding is both Mercedes and Jaguar aren't the most reliable cars. So what would be the alternative for that cool coupe-style appearance in a reliable model?
Speaking as someone who until last week drove a 2012 XJL Portfolio, and now has a 2014 XJL Portfolio, my answer would be that there is no alternative.

Jaguar XJ - New Launch film - YouTube

As for reliability, Jaguar owners appear to be happy.

Jaguar and Lexus take top honours in the 2014 JD Power survey | Autocar

Jaguar ousts Lexus from atop J.D. Power 2013 Sales Satisfaction Index - Autoblog

But then again, if you're like me and usually only keep a car while its under warranty, reliability isn't really an issue (unless you get stuck somewhere, lol). I put 29,500 miles on my 2012 and the only issue I had was a leaky water pump that was replaced last year. In fact, the car had gotten to the point where I was about to need brakes and tires so I just decided to get a new car instead.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,956 times
Madman. You are the few smart buyer. You have the luxury to dump the car before it needs servicing.

2012 29.5k. Miles and it has a leaky water pump is pretty bad for any car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart