U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,367,328 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 black class B Mercedes with really low mileage. I was thinking of selling it. There is this long stratch on it on the driver side probably as long as the front door. Single line probably as long as the length of the door. The car got keyed while parked down town (before I owned it ... so at least I know it was nothing personal ). Do you think it would be worth fixing the paint before selling it. Do you think fixing the scratch in the paint will significantly effect the price I can get for the car if I do decide to sell. Also is this something I can fix myself or will I only make it look worse? Any advise greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM

9,844 posts, read 13,938,774 times
Yes. "scratch" fix on Merc may easy run close to a thousnad bucks.

What you need to do is to post a picture. There is no telling without seeing it.
You'll be surprised how much of it may disappear from simple wet or dry sanding and some hand buffing.

So, post a pic.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:53 AM

9,009 posts, read 14,219,852 times
If it takes having the door repainted, I probably would not bother. A 2007 Merc is not going to be swayed that much one way or the other by a scratch.

If it is something that can be buffed down and minimized or pulled all the way out, it certainly would be worth doing.\

Depends a lot on the depth of the scratch, and if deep, for how much of the length it is deep.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Okay I do not have a picture of the car handy that I can post, but I am 100% not willing to pay around $1000 bucks to get it fixed. I think I will look up how to repair if myself on youtube and consider the buffing option. I am thinking the max resale by owner for this car is $6000 Canadian right now so a $1000 spent to fix something cosmetic does not make sense to me. Thanks for the tips.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:15 AM

42,272 posts, read 49,833,895 times
You know, if I were buying it, I'd rather have an honest scratch there than some half-ass cover-up attempts to fix it by the former owner.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:39 PM

9,844 posts, read 13,938,774 times
See, told you. It's Merc. People have "that opinion" about them.
I honest can not help without seeing a pic of the scratch. But if your intentions were to spray paint it - do NOT do this!! You'll regret greatly. Color match is very gentle job requiring skill and experience. Even though you can have color match spray paint ordered through a parts store or paint store, it will end in disaster.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:50 PM

Default Ohhhh......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
See, told you. It's Merc. People have "that opinion" about them.
I honest can not help without seeing a pic of the scratch. But if your intentions were to spray paint it - do NOT do this!! You'll regret greatly. Color match is very gentle job requiring skill and experience. Even though you can have color match spray paint ordered through a parts store or paint store, it will end in disaster.
So I am feeling like I should just leave it alone lol. Thanks. The punishment for keying a car should be life without parole plus a hard slap across the head.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:29 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,128,624 times
If you're going to sell the car, I would have a mobile detailer come out and see what he can do. Will cost around $300-$400 but for that you are getting the interior completed cleaned and detailed, the exterior washed, waxed, and buffed, and perhaps clay barred as well. That will go a long way towards fixing the scratch, if not taking care of it completely. Then take pics and post it up for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or