Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times

Advertisements

This link is a fascinating look at the prison system in Oaxaca and one man's 4-day experience inside reporting on the love and kindness of one Methodist minister from the US who retired to Mexico, gave up his retirement dream and became an advocate for the men and women inside this prison.
The differences between the US and Mexican priosn systems are striking. In Mexico - at least in El Estado de Oaxaca - entire families join the prisoner to live and work. This, allowing the maintainence of a family structure seems so different (and more humane in some ways) than the way it is in the US where families are torn apart when one of its members is incarcerated. Certainly conditions inside can be less than favorable for those lacking a family presence - and the Napoleonic law of guilty until proven innocent seems archaic in this day and time. But it does provide some intriguing insights into the mores of the Mexico justice system vs that of the US.. Hope some of you take the time to read it..
Four Days in the Oaxaca State Prison : Mexico Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 PM

93 posts, read 285,897 times
Well, considering that many times someone who is guilty gets away with a crime they did commit, I prefer to see guilty until proven innocent than the other way around. But that's just my opinion. I am sure people see it from the other side of the river.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM

14 posts, read 26,585 times
guilty until proven innocent definitely is a really bad idea

Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranix View Post
guilty until proven innocent definitely is a really bad idea
Especially in Mexico...

Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
This is all I know about prison law and Napoleonic code. In Louisiana(or more specifically, New Orleans), if a person is arrested, that person must be indicted within 60 days, or else the person goes free. I wonder how Napoleonic code works in Mexico's prison laws in regards to indictment.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
I think the linked article above sort of explains that -- but it seems like you're just arrested then wait in prison until there's a judge available to hear your case. Sounds like that could take a while, probably unless you have pull or a terrific lawyer. (I'm not sure, just extrapolating from the article)
I hope someone on the forum knows the precise facts on this??

Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM

93 posts, read 285,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is all I know about prison law and Napoleonic code. In Louisiana(or more specifically, New Orleans), if a person is arrested, that person must be indicted within 60 days, or else the person goes free. I wonder how Napoleonic code works in Mexico's prison laws in regards to indictment.
You get 6 months from the day you are arrested. However with the reform in this particular part of the justice system back in 2008, that could have been changed without us knowing.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXAdvent View Post
You get 6 months from the day you are arrested. However with the reform in this particular part of the justice system back in 2008, that could have been changed without us knowing.
Sudden change is kind of scary. All I know about the Napoleonic prison code is what I typed and what you replied to.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Especially in Mexico...
Exactly, in countries like the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and western European countries where most law enforcement agencies are not infested with corruption and have good access to modern investigative resources like DNA, various databases, etc it probably wouldent be a bad idea. But in Mexico ....

Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Exactly, in countries like the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and western European countries where most law enforcement agencies are not infested with corruption and have good access to modern investigative resources like DNA, various databases, etc it probably wouldent be a bad idea. But in Mexico ....
How is guilty until proven innocent a bad idea in those places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico