Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,183,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or the excuse that it's not Constitutional to stop the cartels criminals from doing what they please here including the theft of many vehicles, it would be Constitutional to invade a sovereign nation or use US troops this way? Still leaving the border open to the criminals of course.
More dishonest twisting of words. The police in border cities can and do arrest thousands of people per year for auto theft. You think it's so easy? Go steal a car and find out. It's not constitutional to impose the Stalinistic police state you think is necessary.

The border is far from "open" or they wouldn't be having to dig tunnels and embed drugs within car tires. Is it perfect? Nope. Do we need to apply more resources and do better? Absolutely. But you began this by suggesting that the govt was deliberately looking the other way and being corrupt/complicit. Anything illegal coming across is mostly a matter of logistical and resource issues, not corruption and complicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,188,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
I disagree about your way of looking at the root of the problem, it is all about supply and demand, just like they teach in school.

In this case the root is the USA and its huge demand for illegal drugs and that is how the USA is contributing to create a bad image of Mexico!! how those drugs get in is just a by-product of the real problem.
BOTH countries are complicit; and neither has made a real committment to trying anything and everything within the boundaries of the law to put an end to this! You just have to wonder why, with all the blatantly horrible acts occurring on both sides of the border, there isn't much more of an all-out effort.. What's needed is a mutually agreed to "War on Drugs' plan to be forcefully implemented along the entire border - and for as long as it takes.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
I disagree about your way of looking at the root of the problem, it is all about supply and demand, just like they teach in school.

In this case the root is the USA and its huge demand for illegal drugs and that is how the USA is contributing to create a bad image of Mexico!! how those drugs get in is just a by-product of the real problem.
Well to be honest, that is exactly what they (Mexicans) say down here..."We wouldn't have to sell it to you if you don't want it or need it, so because you want it, you force us to sell it to you.!" Yeah, who in the he** put a gun to there heads and say sell it to us or your a dead men?

Even by some grace of god, the consumer gets wise and slowed down in the purchase of this useful product, the manufacture would just drop the price to cause more of a demand. The only good thing about that, would be cheaper products for everyone.

Not a whole lot of difference then the price of gas. Except these manufactures know their market and what their consumers will do to get a hold of the product.

If you look at it like gas, for you, what is your breaking point in which you will say....screw it, I'm changing my life and doing something else? That's how you move over the line to make a change, when it starts effecting you in the or pocket book then you make the change.

However, the majority of the consumers will do what ever they need to do to make sure that this product is within their grasp. But a some point or another, the consumer will get hurt because of high pricing and then make a change. So, how do you increase the price of this product to effect the consumer?

Well, one way is to some how increase the cost either that the manufactures side or the consumers side. But, as we all know, this product is not regulated. So placing taxes for both manufacture and consumer might or might not work. Has it worked for the tobacco companies? Had the consumption decreased?

We have to some how someway, change the consumers way of thinking. This fried egg in a pan just doesn't work! Maybe we need to make a new advertising campaign with a bunch of cartel guys laughing and doing Hi-Fives as they laugh about how they have got the world hooked on their product. Then show them getting in a helicopter and heading out to the yachts for their weekend get away.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,633,361 times
There's absolutely gorgeous parts of Mexico. However, right now, Mexico is seriously hell on Earth. That's very unfortunate but it is what it is.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM

10,012 posts, read 14,883,510 times
I'm not Mexican, but I do think the US media does help create not just a bad image of México, but of all of Latin America.

A great example would be the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Near the end of the film, they show 'Mexico City' and guess what was shown?

A slum, a huge slum!

Most of México City is not a slum. México City is one of the greatest metropolis on earth filled with culture, amazing architecture, beautiful neighborhoods, and most of the city looks as decent as any major American city. Anyone that has been there knows that, and nowadays, if you can't travel there in person, there is a program called Street View in Google Earth. Use it, you'll be amazed. All of México is photographed street by street, kilometer by kilometer.

I don't know why there is this infatuation with belittling many things from Latin America.

I remember the first time I saw a picture of Panamá City, the capital of Panamá (I added this bit to make sure people don't confuse it with Panamá City, Florida). This was in the mid-90s when I was still in middle school. The photo was of a few high rises like those found in any sizeable US city. Then there was the caption which said something like: "Panamá city has many modern high rises, but at street level they are right next to shacks and slums." It was almost as saying "don't be fooled, they may be progressing but they're still not our equals."

Then I visited Panamá City a few years ago and surprise! The place looks great. Most of the city is definitely not a slum, in fact very middle class and even has a U.S. feel to the place. Plenty of nice neighborhoods just like the one's in Florida, and the high rises and skyscrapers are not right next to shacks and slums.

Are there slums? Sure, but they probably make up less than 5% of the city.

It's that type of BS that pisses many people off about the U.S. media.

And then comes the hypocrisy when it comes to show American cities to the world. The parts of NYC that almost everyone knows and have seen like a million times in movies and shows is Midtown and much of southern Manhattan. They hardly ever show the messed up parts of NYC, which has areas that look as messed up as any in a developing country. No wonder so many people are shocked when they first visit the city and notice that its not all skyscrapers, its not all glitz and there's way more poverty than the U.S. media cares to show.

But had NYC been in Latin America, oooooh, people around the world would be made aware of its not so glamorous side and completely oblivious to its better side.

It's that double standard that many people complain about when they say the U.S. helps create a negative image not just of México, but of all of Latin America.

I suggest for people to download Google Earth, turn on the Street View feature and spend a good deal of time checking out México and Brazil. Both have been photographed and you can see how it really is street by street, literally.

More than a few will be shocked, that's for sure.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,035,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Stereotyping entire nations is offensive and a detriment to rational discussion. It's impossible to discuss anything realistically by assigning cause/blame to the "USA" and/or "Mexico." Which Americans are we talking about? Which Mexicans? The media? Some media? All politicians? Some politicians? Drug cartels?
What you are overlooking is the fact that the Mexican government entices its people to cross the border illegally.

That is why some of us have a problem with Mexico.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM

469 posts, read 1,255,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What you are overlooking is the fact that the Mexican government entices its people to cross the border illegally.

My post that you quoted has no apparent bearing on your reply. And what do you mean "entices," and what do you have to support your assertion?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM

972 posts, read 3,922,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

That's not true.

Mexico cannot forbid their citizens not leaving their country as USA cannot do it also. In a democracy you must respect the will of your citizens.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,643,145 times
Well Vicente Fox certainly did - his government even prepared a little comic book instructing them how to do it and making it look quite easy and cute.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,188,535 times
Couldn't decide where to put this one; whether on the 'Progress and Cooperation' thread or here, 'US contributes to Bad Image of Mexico'. Since *this* particular story, without question, shows HOW the US contributes, here it is below from this morning's Washington Post. The question is; could the cartels accomplish what they do without these weapons - and what if *that* supply were cut off in the US? If I had the job, I would post feds, undercover or not, near or in each of these gun shops.. (I wonder if NRA supporters would go ballistic) I hope, when they talked Obama told Calderon he would do everything in his power to staunch the flow of guns into Mexico - and that he follows through.

"As Mexico drug violence runs rampant, U.S. guns tied to crime south of border
No other state has produced more guns seized by police in the brutal Mexican drug wars than Texas. In the Lone Star State, no other city has more guns linked to Mexican crime scenes than Houston. And in the Texas oil town, no single independent dealer stands out more for selling guns traced from south of the border than Bill Carter
As an unprecedented number of American guns flows to the murderous drug cartels across the border, the identities of U.S. dealers that sell guns seized at Mexican crime scenes remain confidential under a law passed by Congress in 2003....."
and..

"A year-long investigation by The Washington Post has cracked that secrecy and uncovered the names of the top 12 U.S. dealers of guns traced to Mexico in the past two years.........."
and...

"Federal authorities say more than 60,000 U.S. guns of all types have been recovered in Mexico in the past four years, helping fuel the violence that has contributed to 30,000 deaths. Mexican President Felipe Calderon came to Washington in May and urged Congress and President Obama to stop the flow of guns south."

As Mexico drug violence runs rampant, U.S. guns tied to crime south of border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico