Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
No, they are North Americans, which is a geographic region not a country. Although some societies do not teach the distinction between North and South America, it still refers to a region not a country. But hey, if any Mexican wants to identify himself as an American, he has only himself to blame when his audience confuses his nationality.

Mexico is actually calledEstados Unidos Mexicanos.

If it's ok to refer to people from the United Mexican States as Mexicans, then is it not ok to refer to people from the United States of America as Americans?

Only one country in the world has "America" as part of it's official name.

So referring to people from the United States of America as "Americans" is more accurate and precise than referring to them as from the United States.
Couldn't rep you again! Very well said! A good post to use when folks get confused...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
When living in Mexico City was told that Americans were "Norte Americanos" North Americans.

I always considered Canada, US and Mexico as North America.

Those countries south of Mexico were Central America.

Below that the continent is called South America.

Where did I go wrong in school?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Should someone from France have a hissy fit if someone from Germany refers to themselves as European?

Where you went wrong is in thinking that people generally refer to themselves by a label that identifies the continent rather than the country in which they live.

Like I said, USA is the only country in this hemisphere that cared enough about the name America to include it as part of the country name. When Mexico won heir independence, they had the perfect right and opportunity to call themselves Estados Unidos Mexicanos de America, but they didn't. Now they whine because they want to be included under the reference to Americans?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,807 times
Mexicans are Mexicans and also Americans.
US nationals are U.S. Americans and also Americans.
Canadians are Canadians and also Americans.
Américo Vespucio arrived to Brazil and this whole continent was named after him.
A M E R I C A.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Should someone from France have a hissy fit if someone from Germany refers to themselves as European?

Where you went wrong is in thinking that people generally refer to themselves by a label that identifies the continent rather than the country in which they live.

Like I said, USA is the only country in this hemisphere that cared enough about the name America to include it as part of the country name. When Mexico won heir independence, they had the perfect right and opportunity to call themselves Estados Unidos Mexicanos de America, but they didn't. Now they whine because they want to be included under the reference to Americans?
Who's whining? Don't be ridiculous.

As Mexicans one of thing less important is how u.s. americans like to be named.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM

30 posts, read 88,530 times
to the OP. Did you get the plate issue fixed? I live in the US and usually fly to laredo,tx and drive all the way to monterrey.

This time of year, the highways are patrolled 24/7 by the army, they are pretty safe. I have a lot of friends (including my dad) that travel them regularly and have not had a problem.

I think if you can get a mexican plate, it would be a good idea. Also, you see a lot of US plates in mexico, mostly from TX, if yours is from another state it will probably be suspicious.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
mexicans are americans too.

There, you better call yourself estadounidense.
Read the City-Data Terms of Service. All posts here must be in English. "American" is the English language word, by common usage, for citizens of the United States of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico