Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 36,384 times

Advertisements

I will visit Mexico after two months from now. My friends told me to visit Cancun and Acapulco, and not to visit Mexico city because of the pollution. What do you advise?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,778 times
You'll find several similar Mexico City posts in this forum – great question – Mexico City is a magnificent and vibrant world-class city. Most visitors love it. I lived there for two years, and could not have enjoyed it more. Pollution would be a poor reason to stay away (as a tourist). Mexico City is 7,350 feet above sea level, and many first-time visitors mistakenly attribute high-altitude symptoms (exhaustion, nosebleeds, etc.) to pollution. It takes several days to adjust to the altitude, but don't let that scare you, either! I'd jump at the chance to go, if I were you. Enjoy!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Have never visited Cancun so have no opioions.

Mexico City I lived in for three yrs. Depending on the length of time visiting it would be the best bet. Lot to see. As for the smog...you see a dark haze when on landing approach to the airport...go thru the haze and then the sunshine below is there. Air is thinner so does take a litle getting used too...just not to over exert oneself.

Short drive or ride by bus to Cuernavaca...the underground caverns...Taxco (Old Church)...and then Acapulco beach for a couple of days. All in a easy trip, I have done that many times. They are all worth seeing during one vacation visit.

Steve

Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Mexico City is a wonderful place to visit. It's so historic and there is so much to see. The pyramids outside of town are amazing. The palace is worth a tour and the floating gardens are beautiful.

I've visited many times and have never had any problem at all.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It depends on the kinds of things that appeal to you as a traveler. If someone from another continent planning a NA visit asked you "Is New York City a nice place to visit?", what would you say?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
I too have not visited Cancun nor Acapulco, I try to avoid Gringo tourists when at all possible. I live in N. Carolina and see U.S. Citizens all the time, I am a U.S. Citizen myself, born in Augusta Ga. When I visit the Beach in Mexico, I normally go to the city of Veracruz, a very old and beautiful city with absolutely wonderful food. La Cuidad, Mexico City has museums (the national museum of anthropology - el museo national de antropologia, is spectacular). At first I wondered why the Mexicans have this thing for the Aztec Calendar, then, I saw it, an amazing piece of work is a gross understatement. Mexico City has a history of fresh seafood that goes back over a thousand years and has some absolutely wonderful restaurants, friendly service, excellent food. The plazas y los mercados are nice places to spend a day or two, filled with friendly and helpful people. It seemed like, every time I stopped and looked around, just to get my bearings or decide where to go next, someone would ask if I needed assistance, or "are you lost?" It is also worthwhile to spend at least one day in Chapultapec park, but, be aware that M.C. (or D.F.- Districto Federal), is higher elevation than Denver so go slowly at first.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 36,384 times
Thank you. One question about the elevation in D.F. what does it look like? Will I feel dizzy at first and not able to breath normally ? High blood pressure? I am concerned.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Probably not notice the thin air unless you try climbing the steps over the local Fwys (?). When trying to cross over to the Hotel I found out and was shortwinded.

In my early post did not mention the "Floating Garden" in Xochimilco or the Pyramids in TULA. They are also worth seeing during a visit.

Zona Rosa (Pink Zone) for the night life or restaurants.

The Malls will have Imported French Perfume not available in the US. I bought the only two bottles they had at Mas. Nice decanters...one for a lady friend and the other for a grandaughter.

Some Liquor stores will have Imported bottles NOT available in the US. I was in the Liquor trade for 23 yrs so know that for a fact.

When it comes down to buying silver items (Jewelry) be careful when looking at the "925" number. Make sure the numbers are in a straight line and stamped in to a even depth. Cheap Korean silver is passed off as being from Taxco and is of poor quality that will show tarnish so beware. DO NOT at any time buy any silver from a street vender selling out of a brief case on the open street etc.

Could tell more things but will hold off for the minute.

Steve

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
You'll find several similar Mexico City posts in this forum – great question – Mexico City is a magnificent and vibrant world-class city. Most visitors love it.
I certainly did! I was there long time ago, though - in 1997. At least at the time I had no idea what kind of an issue some had with "pollution"... On that same trip I went to Acapulco as well. Acapulco was fun to see once, for sure. At this time, even though I generally go to Mexico, I probably wouldn't venture back to Acapulco because of the crime and because I've discovered way better beaches since then.

Cancun is a lively and safe city, but it's not a historical place... If you go to the Yucatan Peninsula, Chichen Itza, Coba, Tulum, etc. are worth visiting. Isla Mujeres and Playa are fun for a day. If you want a beach vacation, I personally would recommend Riviera Maya to Cancun, unless you're into partying.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
The pollution is nothing like it was 10 years ago, but it still certainly could improve. Its not pretty to look at, but it doesn't burn in the lungs or eyes anything like it did in the past.

The altitude is not that big of a deal unless you exert yourself on stairs in certain Metro stations or walk up the hill in Chapultepec Park. Otherwise you probably won't feel it very much, most tourist areas and sites are flat.

Important thing to do though is to drink a lot of water and few people do that since you have to buy it bottled to be safe. A tourist from sea level probably should drink at least 3 liters of water a day, I'd guess most don't even get a liter and then make it worse by drinking lots of beer or liquor which just dehydrates you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico