Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times

Advertisements

Drinking water is safe in MEXICO...very true...bottled water only that is. Forget the city water system. I have seen motor oil dumped into the drain at the curbside. When I mentioned for the person not to do that his reply was, "they filter it all anyways so there is no problem". Still he did not drink water from the tap as does NO ONE ELSE.

Mexico city has venders pulling 5 gal bottles of drinking water on a rolling cart they pull down the street. Rosarito where I live now has a PU coming by 2-3 times a week with 5 gal bottles for those needing water to drink. I could name other major cities where I have been and seen the same situation. The GOVMT does supply a water system to it's people...just not drinkable. Spend time in Mexico City and see the consumption of soft drinks and you will understand why.

Add Info: My wife as did every other household around us would BOIL tap water in large pots for the next days cooking needs. An every day ritual even by those who had maids.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 01-19-2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: How tap water is othewise used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Drinking water is safe in MEXICO...very true...bottled water only that is. Forget the city water system. I have seen motor oil dumped into the drain at the curbside. When I mentioned for the person not to do that his reply was, "they filter it all anyways so there is no problem". Still he did not drink water from the tap as does NO ONE ELSE.
I drink the tapwater everywhere in Mexico, and everywhere in the USA, and most other Latin American and third world countries, and have had minor problems only a couple of times, more likely from food handling or doorhandles, than tapwater. Obviously, I don't drink the tapwater if there is a conspicuous indicator present of unsafe water, like recent flooding.

My American friends, including my neighbors in the same town, warn me not to drink tapwater in the USA. I just laugh.

Tapwater is theoretically treated in almost every water system in Mexico, which is at least a huge improvement on the systems from a half century ago, when there was a factual foundation for what is now a don't-drink-the-water myth.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My wife is just back from an attempted drive to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. She was refused entry with her car at Piedras Negras, owing to an irregularity in her records. She said evryone in Aduana and Banjercito were very pleasant, but could not resolve the problem. (Other drivers were also being denied for trivial reasons---one of them because "Jr." was on his name in his passport, but not on his car title.) So she had to stay overnight in Allende, near the Aduana, and return to Eagle Pass in the morning. She liked PN, she thought it was a very nice town.

She reported that the Mexicans were all very kind and generous, doing everything they could to try to help. But every one of them, customs workers, other travelers, hotel staff, guests, everyone, emphasized that it would be very foolish for her to try to drive onward into Mexico. The mayor of Allende Coah. had been recently murdered, and they said with US non-border state plates, she would be lucky to get as far as Torreon alive. Although the advice may be exaggerated, everyone there seemed terrified. After her many conversations with Mexicans, she concluded that it is probably actually is quite unsafe to drive an American car into Mexico. However, when I phoned to cancel the 1-year car insurance policy, I asked the agent if there was any decrease in USA drivers going to Mexico. He said No, they are writing hundreds of policies every day, and in fact in the past year, there has been a 20% increase in the number of Mexico non-resident insurance policies they are selling. Contradictions continue to abound.

But trying to get back, the US agents treated her almost as badly as narcoterrorists would have.
Re-entering Eagle Pass, she was detained for 4 hours and fined $300. She was asked "Are you carrying any fruit or vegetables from Mexico?" She said No, which was a truthful answer---she was not carrying fruits, vegetables, shoes, socks, pencils, spare tire, or anything else from Mexico---she had bought nothing. She was asked nothing else. They then searched her car, found one grapefruit and one avocado which had been among the supplies she had packed for the road in the USA. Still had American PLU stickers on them. The fine was $300, apparently for attempted smuggling of contraband. ($100,000,000 worth of drugs came in the same day, while agents were busy defending our liberties from my dreaded wife. She is in her 60s, and is a gregarious people person who makes friends wherever she goes and endears herself well to people.) Her dog was put in a cage, and she asked, while waiting 4 hours, if she could check on her dog, and was told no, that was an unsecured area. Apparently, she was under arrest, and had to be held in a secured area. They finally took pity on her, I guess, and stole only $175 from her. I consider her lucky that her car was not impounded.

They finally decided that she was not a public danger, and released her, apparently happy with their cash windfall, and never checked any of her car papers or health documents for her dog.
This behavior used to be harder to get away with I think. At the least, it was far less common. Police brutality has had a dramatic upswing due to the empowerment bestowed by things like the Patriot Act.

Do you think you can do anything about it?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM

124 posts, read 529,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Tecate-swigging campesino...
Man... that was hilarious!!!

Cheers!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
Man... that was hilarious!!!

Cheers!
He is a word smith.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Per the heading of this thread - recent travel experience/danger in Mexico, I can only speak to living here and the scores of happy folks (tourists and residents) on the Bay of Banderas beaches and in the restaurants, grocery stores, adventure travel agencies and shops.. No doubt, there are serious problems with the cartels but here all has been peaceful and busy, much like year's past. Travel here by car might present some problems* but those who fly in and out are doing so without problems and enjoying all this beautiful country has to offer.

*Per the op's wife: Having your paperwork in perfect order is an absolute must when crossing the border - they are very strict about this and seldom deviate. We had one such experience and spent a goodly amount of time correcting it before being able to cross. Right now, flying in is clearly the best and safest option!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Driving back from Mexico City was asked at the border if I was bringing anything back. Being truthful said "Yes, two bottles of booze, one for my dad and one for myself". "NOPE" he said, "your only allowed one bottle per person, max 40 oz" if I recall correctly. Told me to follow him with the least bottle I desired and I had to pour the contents down the sink.

The BP person said that everybody brings something back...even a trinklet at times. Said that if I had lied they would/could have torn my truck apart. Based upon some videos on the Internet...I believe it.

As to the woman and her problems...she had the fruit/veg in her vehicle while declaring NOTHING regardless where it came from...thus any major fine.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Funny thing; I am going on Mex Riviera cruise with the family next week, and the White Americans I work with all tell me how safe Mexico is, while the Mexican Americans caution me to be careful, and if I go to town to stay with a group. That Mexico is dangerous. I am thinking now about just canceling the port activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico