U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM

471 posts, read 701,988 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an example or anecdote about a strange or interesting Mexican superstition that you've seen or heard about?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 148,224 times
My Mexican comadre (mother of my hijado or godson) does a thing when her kids are ill...she takes an egg and rubs them all over their body, then takes the egg out of the room and breaks it into the bowl...the illness is supposed to go into the egg and leaves the body when she breaks the egg...it doesn't work...the whole household ends up getting the flu or cold, but the kids feel better for awhile after mom does this....i don't know what the origins are. She's from a mountain pueblo...anyone know what this is about? The kids are chicanos, living in the U.S., and seem ashamed about it, so i don't ask any questions.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,546,251 times
My father, a very educated New Yorker of Irish decent, tried a superstitious cure on me when I was about 4 to see how the mind can cure. I had a wart on my finger. He wrapped the finger with cloth, took me outside and told me he was burying the cloth under the full moon and in the morning the wart would be gone. It was. Every culture has superstitions.Moderator cut: Please, Stay On Topic

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-04-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,883,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
My father, a very educated New Yorker of Irish decent, tried a superstitious cure on me when I was about 4 to see how the mind can cure. I had a wart on my finger. He wrapped the finger with cloth, took me outside and told me he was burying the cloth under the full moon and in the morning the wart would be gone. It was. Moderator cut: Please, Stay On Topic
That's actually not a superstition. A doctor told me that one. The reason it works is because of how warts work.

An interesting superstition in Mexico that you often see with Mexicans living in the USA are with owls. They think they are witches. Of course this isn't with the educated types but with many it's a strong belief. And if there is a newborn in the home and an owl shows up, it's not good.

Another is the garlic in the purse, I think it's for good luck.

And another thing you see, if someone looks at your infant, they come over and touch it if they see you noticed they were looking at it. That's so they can show you they weren't giving the evil eye.

I have a friend from Mexico who lost the use of his arm at a baseball game. He knew who did it - some women whose relatives were playing on the other team, they put a hex on him. Suddenly his arm got very weak and he was out of the game - and he couldn't use his arm until his dad finally took him to a good bruja - only a bruja can remove a hex but you can tell the good brujas from the bad brujas because the good ones use Catholic prayers like the Our Father, but they use the aventajas also to get rid of the hex. It worked for him, he immediately regained full use of his arm.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-04-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM

471 posts, read 701,988 times
Another thread noted that some Mexican families shave their babies' heads to cause their hair to grow thicker. My godson (Guatemalan) is nearly five years old, and his parents have never cut his hair since birth, believing that he'll be stronger based on his very long hair.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM

413 posts, read 569,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Azul View Post
My Mexican comadre (mother of my hijado or godson) does a thing when her kids are ill...she takes an egg and rubs them all over their body, then takes the egg out of the room and breaks it into the bowl...the illness is supposed to go into the egg and leaves the body when she breaks the egg...it doesn't work...the whole household ends up getting the flu or cold, but the kids feel better for awhile after mom does this....i don't know what the origins are. She's from a mountain pueblo...anyone know what this is about? The kids are chicanos, living in the U.S., and seem ashamed about it, so i don't ask any questions.
I think my mom did that or relatives of ours did that. They would rub the egg all over the body meanwhile saying the prayer that Catholics say a lot (sorry don't know the name).

Another one that I learned from my mom or relatives is when an infant has the hicupps you are supposed to place a red string on their foreheads. You moisten the thread so that it can stick on the forehead.

And "le hiciste ojo" or "me hizo ojo" or "le hice ojo" all having to do w/the evil eye of sorts. Like when I am eating something really delicious, say a wonderful, juicy bowl of watermelon and I go for the next wonderful, delicious looking piece of watermelon but somehow instead of ending up in my mouth it falls to the floor, I automatically think, "le hice ojo". Or like it was mentioned, if you admire a baby because they are so cute, you are supposed to touch them so that you don't "hacerle ojo".

Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Smile Touching the baby if you looked at it

I respect the superstition about looking at people's babies. If I find myself admiring the cuteness of a Mexican person's baby, I immediately go near and touch the child and speak kind words to the mother, so she does not think I have given the child the "evil eye". I often try not to look at other people's children, out of respect. But, if I find my gaze falls onto someone's child, I want them to feel good about it, and be comforted. A baby is such a sponge, so sensitive to all around him, soaking up all the faces and sounds. I am sure babies see people with hateful faces, and it may scare them. To give a child love and comfort, even for a moment, tells them the world has good people in it. And respecting the parents and their customs is very important. It is respectful to follow the custom, I think. Also, my comadre using the egg to heal her children when their tummies hurt or they are coming down with a cold, they just feel loved by her, and there is science to support the placebo effect on illnesses. The mind is strong, and can help the body to heal.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Moorhen, have a question, can you tell me more about the red thread on the forehead for hiccups?? Very interesting.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM

25 posts, read 109,696 times
That done with an egg, is performed to do a "limpia" that is to clean the person from a spell that has been cast on her,from an evil eye (as in "te hize ojo")or from others envy etc.

Not what I would consider a superstition, it is Santeria, closer to witchcraft and even if catholic prayers are said, it is condemned by the catholic church. In my personal opinion it is stupid and senseless. Absolutely something to avoid.
And please don't go around touching other people babies. Not right for all parents...even in Mexico

Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjob View Post
That done with an egg, is performed to do a "limpia" that is to clean the person from a spell that has been cast on her,from an evil eye (as in "te hize ojo")or from others envy etc.

Not what I would consider a superstition, it is Santeria, closer to witchcraft and even if catholic prayers are said, it is condemned by the catholic church. In my personal opinion it is stupid and senseless. Absolutely something to avoid.
And please don't go around touching other people babies. Not right for all parents...even in Mexico

Thanks for the clarification on the egg ritual...it IS wierd. I lightly touch the baby and make a compliment to the parent because I was told to do that, so the parent would know that I was not casting an "evil eye" on the child. I was told to do this by Mexicans. Are you a Mexican or of other background? I don't want to be inappropriate, I was just following the advice I received about what is culturally acceptable amongst the Mexican folks where I live. Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico