Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
$300 a year, that's dirt cheap. How old do you have to be to qualify for IMSS?

Having only IMSS isn't a situation you'll want to find yourself in. Maintaining private healthcare insurance will be something I think you should do. Also, IMSS does and will probably continue to deny service/coverage for pre-existing conditions ... or impose some sort of period before you can be treated for some problems. Government-affiliated clinics/hospitals ... generally, and on average ... are probably something you'd find unacceptable at home, and not encouraged when visited in Mexico. The Lake Chapala communities are indeed nice places to live. Not trouble-free, but, on balance, good and the close proximity to Guadalajara is a huge plus.
There are many retired foreigners who only have IMSS and they are very happy with the care they receive. It does not cover some preexisting conditions immediately but after 3 years everything is covered.

It is helpful if one is in an IMSS hospital and he does not speak Spanish, that he have someone who can translate.

Most medical is so inexpensive like tests and doctor visits that most of us pay out of pocket. I have one doctor I like and she charges $40 pesos a visit. That's about $3 US Dollars. Blood work and other tests are so cheap it's better to pay out of pocket. A private insurance plan can cost thousands a year, close to what it is in the U.S., so one saves money paying for general medical care and keep IMSS for expensive care like operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,131 times
I am seriously considering making the move to Rosarito Beach, after spending much time at the Rosarito Beach Hotel since 1964. It's not far to the border, the VA Hospital is in La Jolla and I live on a SSDI and VA Disability pension (100% service connected disability).

I have Mexican Nationals acquaintances that I know down there as well as a gent named Ed Jones. He is a retiree from San Diego and I met him prior to the filming of the Titanic. At that time, Ed conducted the Karioki at the Beach Comber bar (Rosarito beach Hotel) and later moved his karioki to the Las Rocas hotel.

My interest is to get input from Expats that live there (I haven't found Ed Jones recently, but bring him up in the event that someone knows him so I can reconnect). I want to rent or lease to begin with and want an idea as to the cost of utilities per month, telephone, internet and cable connectivity, resident auto insurance, how do I cost effectively stay insured to drive in the US.

These are a few questions, but I would like to befriend a trusting Expat soul to set me straight on the whole thought process and execution of this change of residence, how to handle banking, what cash (pesos, dollars, if both how much of each to have on hand) to carry and how to pay local and US bills.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a Marine, past lottery Executive, live in Carlsbad, CA, I am very healthy 62, recently single (over one year), hetro, want to eventually find a female life partner.

I am sorry if I seem homophobic, but I have been through Hill Crest. That's not my life style, but it's OK for them.

I appreciate any advise and cautions (we can't carry down there like in the Philippines).

Best regards,

Tom
(thmcarlsbad)

Last edited by thmcarlsbad; 04-22-2012 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Clarity & some spelling

Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Tom, I'm a retired vet south of Rosarito in my own home 16yrs.

Va hospitral is in La Jolla north of San Diego for any medical needs.

As for banking, I use Wells Fargo right in San Ysidro along with a close by ATM up the street close to a lge mkt.

You can pay any bills online...saves crossing the border to the P.O.

Utilities here are CHEAP compared to the US.

Electricity for two months cost me around 900 Pesos.

Sky TV with many English channels/movies is 502 pesos.

Phone (land) is 373 pesos basic for me as I do not talk that much plus Internet connection included.

Trucked in 500 gal of water every 5 weeks $20.

Trash is picked up every week w/o any bills.

Car ins for Mexico will vary depending one.

what yr car you have.

As for what currency to use....a matter of choice. ATM dispenses Pesos for a small local fee along with a fee by your bank...still cheaper the paying for gas and time at the border.

I did cross the border 2-3 times a month but since the construction at the border only cross once a month. Pay my CC bills via online banking .saves me a headache.

Two large grocery chain stores plus Walmart and the prices will be a bit higher then SD but taking into consideration of gas prices and the border time wait...still a good deal.

As for mail, there is a local company that uses the P.O. in San Ysidro and picks up mail for a yearly fee at their box charging about $170 last number I heard. They cross about 3 times a week.

Forget about getting US mail down here...been there and done that when living in Mexico City.

Gas at Pemes is 40 Pesos a gal. /Peso exchange rate will fluctuate a wee bit 12.20 to 12.50 for a US dollar....depending on weekends or US holidays for Tourists.

Hope these wee bits of info help.

14,000 Americans living in the Roaarito area can't be wrong.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM

10 posts, read 29,310 times
IN my opinion anybody who buys property in a foreign country with out living there,knowing the language or having family ties is a fool.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion be what it may be...what floats the boat ie where it's at.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1helper View Post
IN my opinion anybody who buys property in a foreign country with out living there,knowing the language or having family ties is a fool.
Good comments, and ones which I agree with.

Moving abroad probably isn't the right thing to do for most who consider it. it takes a special breed of person to pull-up roots, leave family and friends and enter a culture about which they know little and likely don't speak or understand the language well. Those types crash and burn rather quickly. The survivors have either prepared themselves well beforehand or are just plain lucky.

Rent before you buy should be the rule to follow. Live in a community, neighborhood for at least 6 months (preferably a year) before buying there. Acquire, by whatever means, the best information and legal advice you can afford. Then ... enjoy the new life!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
$300 a year, that's dirt cheap. How old do you have to be to qualify for IMSS?

Having only IMSS isn't a situation you'll want to find yourself in. Maintaining private healthcare insurance will be something I think you should do. Also, IMSS does and will probably continue to deny service/coverage for pre-existing conditions ... or impose some sort of period before you can be treated for some problems. Government-affiliated clinics/hospitals ... generally, and on average ... are probably something you'd find unacceptable at home, and not encouraged when visited in Mexico. The Lake Chapala communities are indeed nice places to live. Not trouble-free, but, on balance, good and the close proximity to Guadalajara is a huge plus.
I don't know where you got the above information.

Portal IMSS para tí

Employers usually pay for IMSS for employees and their families. That means any age is covered. There is not a preexisting clause for employees covered by IMSS.

The only time there is a preexisting clause, and not all conditions are permanently banned, is the voluntary membership where a person signs up for IMSS for himself and it is not provided by an employer.
IMSS Insurance Terms & Conditions : Mexico Living

Age 60 and over the annual fee is about $300 USD.
Fees in pesos:
Health Care

Quote:
Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, IMSS, is the Mexican social security system. Among other things, it includes an extensive, country-wide HMO-type health care system offering free out-patient clinics, hospitals, and drugs. Membership is automatic and free for employees of covered businesses (which is most companies). It is available for very low annual fees to everybody else including foreigners holding an FM2 or FM3 visa. The cost depends on age.
IMSS fees for 2011 (pesos):
0-18 $1,3209
20-39 $1,543.70
40-60 $2,307.10
60+ $3,472
Fees usually go up in February of each year

Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,215 times
I need to find a small apartment in Rosarito between 300.00 500.00 a month...anyone know of a agency that could provide that info.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,215 times
Default apartment hunting

Again, I would apreciate anyone who knows of a nice furnished studio or one bedroom apt. for about 300.00 -500.00 a month.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
you waited a whole two minutes to post again??

Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico