U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
 
47,578 posts, read 55,204,732 times
Reputation: 22053

Advertisements

I don't think she seemed at all sincere and let's face it, Mexico's political system is a democracy and most of Mexico is perfectly safe. There is not a shred of evidence that she requires political asylum because of some dictatorship or government threat.

Street crime and taking a job you're not up to is not a reason for political asylum, she could just as easily move to Mexico City which is plenty safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,831 posts, read 5,425,937 times
Reputation: 5797
All I am going to say about this situation is that I think she planned it this way. Why would anyone be that stupid or naive after 1,000's have been killed already. I believe there have already been 2 female high security officers killed. If she is that stupid, we don't need her.

The article I read said her lawyer was trying to figure out how to get her family here.

Just quit. The threat is gone then.

this was planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
 
9,857 posts, read 6,168,821 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Well I find something very surreptitious about this young lady,what I don't know ,but knowing that it is a perilous position and situation for someone that young or anyone for that matter and then to suddenly seek asylum to the U.S. anybody care to comment on this.
She planned this for sure. Took a job that had threats against her, took her family and herself into the USA and said her life was endangered in Mexico, so give me residency, welfare, free college degrees and a man with a large swong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Axixic, Jalisco, MX
1,278 posts, read 2,646,423 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
She planned this for sure. Took a job that had threats against her, took her family and herself into the USA and said her life was endangered in Mexico, so give me residency, welfare, free college degrees and a man with a large swong.
She was 20 years old when she took the job. I doubt she planned anything. There is no guarantee that anyone is given asylum. Getting asylum when there are safe places in her own country will be impossible. She will not be given asylum. Most of us in Mexico have not seen any violence and it's safer than in many U.S. cities.

How do you think she'll be getting welfare, free college degrees and a big swong? Clinton signed in welfare reform years ago and if she academically qualifies for a scholarship, she should get it like anyone else. The big swong she can find on her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,672 posts, read 66,857,344 times
Reputation: 35518
No man has a right to question the courage of a woman who has taken on childbirth and motherhood.

That's just for starters, not even talking about taking on a law enforcement job in a lawless town within a country that you are scared to death to even go to.

Whatever her objectives are, if she succeeds, she will have done so by her own wits and personal discipline and unfailing effort, which is something that Americans think is admirable --- but for some reason, Americans think that is admirable only if Americans do it.

There is an undercurrent of Misogyny that colors the news media as well as these forums. If this police job had been taken by a young man, and the story had unfolded in the same way, how would things be different in your perception of it?

Last edited by jtur88; 03-11-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
 
972 posts, read 3,362,837 times
Reputation: 447
^^ + 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Limestone,TN/Bucerias, Mexico
1,452 posts, read 2,629,630 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No man has a right to question the courage of a woman who has taken on childbirth and motherhood.

That's just for starters, not even talking about taking on a law enforcement job in a lawless town within a country that you are scared to death to even go to.

Whatever her objectives are, if she succeeds, she will have done so by her own wits and personal discipline and unfailing effort, which is something that Americans think is admirable --- but for some reason, Americans think that is admirable only if Americans do it.

There is an undercurrent of Misogyny that colors the news media as well as these forums. If this police job had been taken by a young man, and the story had unfolded in the same way, how would things be different in your perception of it?
Well said... I agree with almost all your points.

But no, I don't think it would have been any different (in the eyes of some posting) if it were a man. They would still maintain it was all planned as a way to get asylum - and yes, there are NO guarantees that she will get asylum. It is a tough, complex process. My daughter is an immigration attorney/professor and there are many worthy folks who after going through the process do NOT receive asylum.

So therefore, I believe asylum is a bad argument for why she came into the states. I'm sure she would have much rather stayed with her family in Mexico - believe it or not, many Mexicans prefer Mexico over the U.S.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM
 
47,578 posts, read 55,204,732 times
Reputation: 22053
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Well said... I agree with almost all your points.

But no, I don't think it would have been any different (in the eyes of some posting) if it were a man. They would still maintain it was all planned as a way to get asylum - and yes, there are NO guarantees that she will get asylum. It is a tough, complex process. My daughter is an immigration attorney/professor and there are many worthy folks who after going through the process do NOT receive asylum.

So therefore, I believe asylum is a bad argument for why she came into the states. I'm sure she would have much rather stayed with her family in Mexico - believe it or not, many Mexicans prefer Mexico over the U.S.!
And that's exactly why this case looks like a scam. Most of Mexico is perfectly safe. Many Mexican cities and towns have low homicide rates.

You don't see Americans leaving Detroit demanding asylum and government refugee handouts from other countries, they simply move to the suburbs or to some other town or city.

Political asylum generally means someone is fleeing a government that is hostile to it's people and that simply is not the case with Mexico which is a democratic and free nation. And even if Mexico's government were the problem, it's getting big money and assistance from the USA which makes these asylum cases absurd.

The easy money is what she's really after. If she quit her job and relocated to Mexico City, whoever sent her the text message she supposedly received wouldn't likely pursue it if they're not pursuing it in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM
 
47,578 posts, read 55,204,732 times
Reputation: 22053
And not only that, it's people like this who are doing the most damage to the image of their country.

They don't even care - as long as they get "theirs". Tourism is down - and it sure doesn't help when thousands are coming here now claiming they cannot live anywhere in Mexico but must be given political asylum in the USA. They make it seem that Mexico is beyond repair, that all of it is a hell hole - and they are liars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
 
972 posts, read 3,362,837 times
Reputation: 447
we can not say the reason why this girl asked for political asylum.

what we do know is that drug trafficking networks are not confined to a city or state, are present throughout the country and if a group threatens your life, no matter where you're, narcos going to go find and kill you.

To me this is a valid reason to seek asylum in any country.

The truth is that at this time in Mexico, the Mexican government can not guarantee the lives of ordinary people, so a threatened citizen must seek alternatives to preserve his life.

Summarize all that people are going to USA just for the money is an easy way out for not seeing the problem of drug trafficking as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top