U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM

33 posts, read 105,021 times

Advertisements

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,546,251 times
Here's a start:

Italian immigration to Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Today, many Italo-Mexicans continue to reside in towns founded by their ancestors[citation needed]. Among these is Chipilo, in the state of Puebla, where a derivative of the Venetian dialect is still spoken by its residents. Other towns founded by Italian immigrants lie in the states of Veracruz (Huatusco), San Luis Potosí, and the Mexican Federal District[citation needed]. In the state of Aguascalientes there is a large population of Mexicans of Italian descent - the result of the invasion of the French and the creation of the Second Mexican Empire. Smaller, but also notable, numbers of Italo-Mexicans can be found in Guanajuato, Estado de Mexico, and in the towns of Nueva Italia and Lombardia in the state of Michoacán, which were founded by wealthy Italians who immigrated to Mexico after the 1880 diaspora and established large agricultural estates known as haciendas[citation needed]. Playa del Carmen in the state of Quintana Roo has also received a notable amount of immigrants from Italy

At present, the regions with the highest concentration of Mexican Italians are Mexico City, Puebla, and Veracruz.
Orientation - Italian Mexicans
Quote:
The largest surviving colonia in Mexico—Chipilo, Puebla—has approximately 4,000 inhabitants, almost a tenfold increase over its starting population of 452 people. Indeed, each of the original eight Italian communities was inhabited by around 400 individuals. If the expansion of Chipilo, Puebla, is representative of the Italian Mexican population as a whole, we might infer that in the late twentieth century there are as many as 30,000 people of Italian descent in Mexico
I have a Canadian friend at Lake Chapala whose family came from Italy and there are several real Italians who own Italian restaurants in the area. Do they count?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,840 times
Hmmm 30,000 seems smaller than I had in mind.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM

217 posts, read 348,498 times
sure was a LOT of italian food (and GOOD italian food!) in Isla Mujeres ....

Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 PM

155 posts, read 197,600 times
CHIPILO Mexico:
Chipilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM

873 posts, read 606,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownPride View Post
Hmmm 30,000 seems smaller than I had in mind.
Why did you think there would be more? Those of Spanish descent are the most numerous estimated to be 9-15 million. I think the Irish are next with 600,000 descendants, that red headed Mexican Boxer Saul Canelo Alvares might be one of them.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Why did you think there would be more? Those of Spanish descent are the most numerous estimated to be 9-15 million. I think the Irish are next with 600,000 descendants, that red headed Mexican Boxer Saul Canelo Alvares might be one of them.
Forgot to mention that I was speaking of those of European descent when I said most numerous, I tried to edit but it seems like you're given a certain amount of time and after that you can no longer edit?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,467 times
I,m an italo american of North italian desent and would like to visit chipilio. Is there a near by airport? And is it safe for me to go there? Any help will be appreciated Thanks. CIAO!!!! Brian Mino.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,999,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
This famous actor was Mexican, with an Irish grandfather http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Quinn

Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Preppy View Post
I,m an italo american of North italian desent and would like to visit chipilio. Is there a near by airport? And is it safe for me to go there? Any help will be appreciated Thanks. CIAO!!!! Brian Mino.
Would you even be able to understand them? I hear they kept the Italian dialect from 130 years ago. Anyway, according to Wikipedia the town is 12 kilometers from the city Puebla which has an airport. Also, there's a YouTube video about them in which they speak that dialect if you're interested in seeing it.

Here are some videos about them:

Interview of Chipilo people about the 2002 FIFA world cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8p-42vBN34

documentary about them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8mV9...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico